3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with a 38 # longbow is it enough? Now with video clip!  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with a 38 # longbow is it enough? Now with video clip!
« on: December 30, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
Hi!
I have a Firefly longbow 38@drawlength.

Do you think it is heavy enough for hunting deer?

What if you hit the scapula? will it penetrate properly or stop in the bone?

I`m using a 544 grain arrow, Easton FMJ 500 spine, full length with 100 grain insert and a 125 grain silverflame upfront.

I will test this on a  fresh scapula from a Norwegian deer and see what happens..
Here is a pic a Norwegian deer:

So what do you think? will it be enough power to do the job?

:campfire:      :coffee:  

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline maxplan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with a 38 # longbow is it enough? Now with video clip!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
I'd say for deer whitetail size and animals under no problem. I don't know what a silver flame is but I would be sure to have a cut on contact 2 blade thats close to 3x1. Your arrow weight and design seems good.
Ed G.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
Dang with red deer I'd like to have a bit more bow.  They are the size of a spike bull elk or so.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
The Silverflames are two blades, here is a pic:

With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
38# at what draw length? Longer is definitely better in this case.  Those Norwegian Red Deer are pretty good sized, similar to an elk. I'd avoid the scapula if at all possible and wait for a broadside shot to put one through the ribs. A razor sharp silver flame should be sufficient.

Is there any particular reason you'd want to shoot a red deer with a 38# bow? Not that it wouldn't do the job, but your margin for error is dramatically reduced.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Dang with red deer I'd like to have a bit more bow.  They are the size of a spike bull elk or so.

Mike
Nathan aka buejeger and I is going to test it out today on the scapulas from these deers, going to be interesting:)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike/Columbia Basin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
I doubt that you could penetrate the scapula with that set up unless you are real close.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
BTW the average weight for the Norwegian deer is for a bull ca- 265-335# A doe is 175-265, but they do kill bulls in my area as big as 530#

So they are quite big  :)
(nice meat also  :D )

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
I would consider that too light.

I consider 35-38 lbs MINIMAL for even thin skinned whitetails, WITHOUT dealing with any bones except ribs.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by looper:
38# at what draw length? Longer is definitely better in this case.  Those Norwegian Red Deer are pretty good sized, similar to an elk. I'd avoid the scapula if at all possible and wait for a broadside shot to put one through the ribs. A razor sharp silver flame should be sufficient.

Is there any particular reason you'd want to shoot a red deer with a 38# bow? Not that it wouldn't do the job, but your margin for error is dramatically reduced.
I have no need to shoot a deer with a 38# bow.

Here is my thought:

There is a lot of people unable to pull the heavy bows and, I`m wondering if a direct hit on the scapula with a low weight bow will do the job.
Maybe you don`t need a really heavy bow?

BTW I`m pulling ca 31"

Nathan aka Buejeger is pulling 29" and will test with his 42@29 Black Douglas Hex V.

Margly

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I have two 66" recurve bows and one of them is a 37# @ 30" and it shoots a very heavy 32" BOP 2114 aluminum arrow weighing 550 grains which equates to a 14.86 GPP (grains per pound) arrow. The arrow is tipped with a STOS 160 grain 2 blade broadhead. I don't take a shot over 20 yards and I wait for a broadside shot where the arrow will get a complete pass through taking out both lungs. This setup will easily kill a whitetail deer.

Even though a red deer is a big deer, it's still a thin skinned animal. With you shooting 38# with a 544 grain arrow, this equates to a 14.31 GPP (grains per pound arrow). Keep the shot 20 yards and under and wait for a broadside lung shot and you should have no problems killing a red deer with your setup.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike/Columbia Basin:
I doubt that you could penetrate the scapula with that set up unless you are real close.
I will do the test from my max hunting distance ca 20 yards   :archer:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
BTW I will also post video of the testing so it might be interesting:)

Margly

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
I look forward to the results. I would expect to have a lot of trouble with the scapula even with bows 10-15 pounds heavier -- and even more if the ridge is struck.

What a beautiful beast you have access too!

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I look forward to the results. I would expect to have a lot of trouble with the scapula even with bows 10-15 pounds heavier -- and even more if the ridge is struck.

What a beautiful beast you have access too!
Yes they are beautiful  :)
And the best part it is a lot of them around here, the bad part they ain't allowed to hunt with a bow  :(

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Margly,

I have hunted elk my entire life and I suspect your red deer are going to be to heavily boned for a penetration of the scapula at that arrow weight.  That broadhead is pretty large which won't help with penetration.  If you want to simulate that shot properly you need something to represent the hide and a couple inches of meat as well as the scapula for your testing.

38 lbs will kill anything in the northern hemisphere, as long as you put the arrow in the boiler room ( soft tissue hit .  American indians killed millions of animals including grizzlies with light bows for millenia.   I suspect that a hit on a thick part of a rib would stop that arrow from that bow.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
Margly,

I have hunted elk my entire life and I suspect your red deer are going to be to heavily boned for a penetration of the scapula at that arrow weight.  That broadhead is pretty large which won't help with penetration.  If you want to simulate that shot properly you need something to represent the hide and a couple inches of meat as well as the scapula for your testing.

38 lbs will kill anything in the northern hemisphere, as long as you put the arrow in the boiler room ( soft tissue hit .  American indians killed millions of animals including grizzlies with light bows for millenia.   I suspect that a hit on a thick part of a rib would stop that arrow from that bow.
I just have the scapula, no hide or meat to hang around it, but it will give me a hint of the power needed.

When I have done this test I and see the result I might take a skin from a deer and test with that in the front.

I think not the hide or some meat will stop the arrow but the scapula might, It`s going to be interesting.

Margly

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Watching this one closely as I've dropped bow weight considerably due to shoulder injury.  Thanks for taking the time to video and post your results.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
I think hitting the scapula is bad even if your shooting 50-55 pounds. Everyone on here will probably tell you that 50-55 is enough.If I get where 35 pounds is all I can shoot I`ll shoot a 500 grain arrow with a two blade head and go hunting. A scapula won`t change my mind. If the ability to put the arrow in "softer" spots goes away then I`ll probably pick up a musket.RC

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
You really need something in front of that scapula, like Ragnarok Forge said. You don't have steaks in Norway?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©