3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stu's latest calculator  (Read 310 times)

Offline sffar

• Trad Bowhunter
stu's latest calculator
« on: December 30, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I hope it's not old news. Stu Miller released an update the other day. Haven't even opened it yet, but it looks like there's lots of new options to choose from.
Thanks, Stu!
 http://www.heilakka.com/stumiller/

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: stu's latest calculator
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Stu was here in his Santa suit a few days ago.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=097915
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline sffar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Oops! Thanks, Charlie. Only looked back to the 25th. Should've guessed. Anyway, now that I've been playing around with it, it's an excellent revision.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Yep, I've already used it. It has a new shaft that I'm glad to see because I have a lot of them.

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Has anyone tried to download Stu's calculator to their iPad?
Having trouble here. I suspect perhaps because it is Excel based?
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Can you download openoffice first? (it's a free download) They make that for Macs so it should work with your Ipad.  i use open office on my pc to work with Stu's calculator instead of excel.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Still have trouble getting my arrow specs and the calculator to line up.  My bareshaft testing always shows I need and arrow over an inch longer than the calculator.  don't know what I am doing wrong. I've just learned start with an arrow two inches longer than the calc. recommends and cut it down and 1/8th at a time.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline sffar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I'm having pretty good luck with it, though I find I need to check the bow and shaft specs very carefully. Bought a scale and found bows weren't quite what I thought they were, was mistaken about the center cut on a couple, too. I think when I put the right information in, I get a good arrow, though maybe a little stiff. The new version has quite a few bows and shafts listed, so that should help. Even if a particular bow isn't listed, there seems to be something close for comparison. I've found enough variance spine testing carbon arrows to account for an extra inch needed to work properly. A few small differences could add up and account for an extra inch of arrow pretty easily. I'm glad to hear it's not suggesting you cut the arrows too short!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
I shoot 32" aluminum arrows out of both of my 66" Blacktail take down recurves. Using Stu's calculator, it's very close for both bows.

For instance, with my 42# bow, I should be spot on with a 215 grain point weight. But, the 2117 arrow is dead on at 20 yards with a 200 grain point weight.

With my 37# bow, I should be spot on with a 185 grain point weight. But, the 2114 arrow is dead on at 20 yards with a 180 grain point weight.

The only real difference that I can make out between my two bows is the brace height. My 42# bow has a 7 9/16" brace height and my 37# bow has a 7 11/16" brace height.

Stu does mention when using the calculator the brace height might have to be raised or lowered a little. Something to think about.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Rastaman...thanks for the input, buri don't seem to be able to find open office for the ipad.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I'm finishing out a Surewoods test pak of arrows now and will be spec'd using Stu's calculator.  Spines are 60-65, 65-70, 70-75, & 75-80 all cut to 28.5 inches.  The calculator spines  these groups with point weights from 145-210 going up the range tested.  It will be nice to compare the actual results with the calculator to see what it tells me.  Arrows should be finished/shootable by Sunday.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
Michael  I would check the center cuts of you bows. That is where most of the inaccuracies occur and will give you incorrect results.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline AKCrazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
So much work goes into this project that one feels a little guilty for asking for anything but perhaps the next time an update is made ABS Grizzlystick arrows could be entered.  I know input was solicited a few weeks ago but I missed out on that.

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
HUGE thanks to Stu!

I just spec'd and cut some aluminums for a Kodiak hunter using the calculator, and have it pretty well bare shaft tuned to 20+yards. As good as my form will allow anyway. This is a very handy tool, and being newer to trad, it saved me alot of frustration I've had in the past.

I would definitely second checking the strikeplate/centercut thickness. It seems to make alot of diff in dynamic spine after the arrow is selected. Its also quite easy to manipulate to help tune the bow to the selected arrow.

Best Regards,

Brian

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bow Bum:
......I would definitely second checking the strikeplate/centercut thickness. It seems to make alot of diff in dynamic spine after the arrow is selected. Its also quite easy to manipulate to help tune the bow to the selected arrow......

Best Regards,

Brian
Bingo! Excellent advice right there!   :thumbsup:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©