3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who hunts elk in Utah  (Read 452 times)

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
who hunts elk in Utah
« on: December 30, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
I am wanting to start putting in to hunt Utah need help with area.I know about the website but was hoping to talk with someone here
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline Mojo Rising

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: who hunts elk in Utah
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
sent you a pm.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Morrison ILF

Offline maxplan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
I've hunted Utah a few times and have 7 trophy bull points. We've killed 3 Elk and 2 trophy Mulies in three trips. Last trip was in 08. I heard from my friends and son-in-law that the state is crawling with hunters now after being about the best kept secret in the west. PM me with the areas you discover and we could discuss a bit. I know my Utah friend and guide has tried to keep his homeground quiet but it hasn;t worked very well.
Ed G.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Nothing in UT is sacred especially hunting areas. After next year, there will be some big changes, especially for the mulies  :)  PM me if you want any help.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline craig burris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
for the past 30 years what you want to know
Archery is: Getting as far away from the target as you can, and still hit it.
Bowhunting is: Getting as close to the target as you can, and not miss!

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
What is the non res tag cost in Utah?
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
I am looking for a draw area that I can start getting points for. I know that any OCTags area will have lots of friendly hunter so figure if I start now in 4 or 5 years I maybe able to draw a good area
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline Andy White

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
non-resident tags (cow/spike) were just shy of $400 last year...

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
when does the draw start
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
To put in is from Feb 1 to Mar 3 this year. Here is the website for the proclamation.  http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2011_pdfs/2011_biggameapp.pdf
Probably gonna take longer that 4 or 5 years for a good area in UT, unless your lucky. But you never know, you have to play the game, so you have a chance.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Like Steadman said, if you are lucky. I have been putting in for 9yrs now. If you want to hunt one of the top LE elk units you will need 12 or more pts. this next year. I firmly believe Utah has seen it's glory days. With the spike tags and rifle tags during the rut it will not get better for elk. So the sooner the better is my motto.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
I've been thinking about UT also. I've hunted in WY and CO for elk. I have an offer with a local in extreme western WY that I should accept. Near the Jackson area.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by maxplan:
I've hunted Utah a few times and have 7 trophy bull points. We've killed 3 Elk and 2 trophy Mulies in three trips. Last trip was in 08. I heard from my friends and son-in-law that the state is crawling with hunters now after being about the best kept secret in the west. PM me with the areas you discover and we could discuss a bit. I know my Utah friend and guide has tried to keep his homeground quiet but it hasn;t worked very well.
Thats sure a heck of a lot better than I've done the last 3 yrs. I haven't even seen a trophy mulie?? Must be doing something wrong?
 :dunno:

Offline troutguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
did a hunt in utah a few years back.stayed in fish lake utah lodge.great lodge, affordable. we nailed a couple muleys. we also saw plenty of elk.also take your fishing rod when we werent huntig we were catching big trout at fish lake.worth checking out the lodge was great.

sam.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
I have read that there is concern for the muley population in the Fishlake unit. If you're interested in muleys I'd try another unit.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
I have read that a cow or spike is easy to draw.
Been wanting to go elk hunting since I was a child when my dad and older brother talked of it.

My Dad passed away three years ago and I think of the hunts we never went on A LOT.

I need to get my butt moving and do something or I will not EVER go. Closing in on 50 now and time flys.

Will keep a eye on this to learn more from the people who know.

Tim

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Tim cow/spike archery tags are OTC and unlimited. No need to draw them, just the deer tag and big bull tags are draw tags. The elk numbers should be coming back in the next couple years as the DWR reduced late season cow tags a bunch this year. BUt as said, the huge bulls behind every tree of yesteryear are gone, I for one am glad because now an elk hunt for a resident here is not a once in a lifetime. There will be some good bulls, just not the monsters everywhere. There are a lot of places to chase cows and spikes, but there are quite a few people out chasing as well.

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Steadman is right the big bull behind every tree is not real. However if you start getting points and draw a tag they are good hunts. I drew a limited entry unit in 95 or 96 and then in 2009. Both were great hunts. Hey snag the mule deer population has problems in lots of areas around here. I saw more hunters this year than I ever have for archery. But if you are willing to get away from the crowd you can still with some work find a pocket or two.

Offline montucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I think for non-residents planning a trip west (other than a couple very special limited draw hunts that are basically once in a lifetimes)....Utah is not the place. There are just SOOOO many other states and regions within other states that are WAY WAY more non-res friendly...where folks are able to plan a hunt with some buddies, buy multiple over the counter tags and also have a great chance at drawing a humber of premium publica land limited entry hunts without waiting a decade.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Montucky why not give us a few examples?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©