3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TBM Editor's Note  (Read 488 times)

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
TBM Editor's Note
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
In the last paragragh Don Thomas mentions some bowhunting icons having feet of clay, some even trad archers.

What happened?  Who is he referring to?  Thanks.  Mike.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TBM Editor's Note
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
I just saw that and was wondering the same thing!

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
:campfire: ............  :coffee:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 04:42:00 AM »
Hmmmm. I just read that also....I don't know if something specific happened, or if it's just a general commentary on creating heroes?

Regardless, I think it's a point well taken. We (not just in our traditional bowhunting life)need to be careful whom we put up on that pedastal.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 05:11:00 AM »
We (not just in our traditional bowhunting life)need to be careful whom we put up on that pedastal.
Words of wisdom.

I've done exactly that with some of my so called "Heroes" over the years and put them in such high regard that nothing could touch them, only to be let down in the end and cast them aside into the ditch of broken egos.

Afterall, we are just men.......and men are prone to disappoint for we are but human.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
didja ask don what he meant?  he is accessible.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 06:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:

We (not just in our traditional bowhunting life)need to be careful whom we put up on that pedastal.
Words of wisdom.

I've done exactly that with some of my so called "Heroes" over the years and put them in such high regard that nothing could touch them, only to be let down in the end and cast them aside into the ditch of broken egos.

Afterall, we are just men.......and men are prone to disappoint for we are but human. [/b]
Well spoken sir, I too have had the greatest respect for some in our sport only to be dissapointed or discusted in the end.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
We should remember that it was usually others who made those "Icons" into "Legends".

One man's comments does not reflect on ALL of those so titled.

Besides, like Rob suggested; you could always ask ....'whata ya mean, when you say.....??'
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
FEET OF CLAY

a weakness or character flaw, especially in people of high station.

if you say that someone you admire has feet of clay, you mean they have hidden faults Some of the greatest geniuses in history had feet of clay.
See also: clay, feet

FEET OF CLAY - Definition
(n.) Weakness or hidden flaw in the character of a greatly admired or respected person
Dictionary.com . See all 1 definitions »
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I did ask, haven't heard yet.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
I am trying to think of any I can exclude.

None come to mind because we are all human and therefore we all fall short at times.

Maybe I just need to extend more grace and quit looking at anyone else's feet.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
Mr. Thomas' words are thought provoking and correct.
   We are all human, and therefore prone to make mistakes. Perhaps someone in the Trad circle has just made a mistake, either legal or ethical, or who sold out to high tech money train.
   Or perhaps he was pointing to Icons of the past, like Howard Hill, who shot snared or gun wounded animals, and claimed them to be "bow kills". Or Fred Bear, who at one point in the 70's favored making poison arrows legal.
   I enjoy reading Don Thomas' work, as he makes one stop and "THINK".

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
I agree hit-or-miss. We are human and everyone of us has a little something we are not prod of. It’s hard to be perfect
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Seems like a fair enough statement for all of us to consider. Maybe even a bit self-reflective. A Master/Icon/Legend in one specific field doesn't always translate into perfection in all areas. Wow! TBM does make some interesting topic starters at times!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
I understand what Mr. Thomas meant by idol worship and I understand what the definiton of feet of clay is.

The way he worded the last paragraph would lead most people to believe that he is speaking of a specific and recent event.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Mike, I thought the same thing, that he was referring to a specific and recent event or a certain person.  I can't think of any, though.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I think Mr. Thomas has a specific person and events in mind. Everything needs a grain of salt, many of our past heroes have done stuff that judged in today's context might be interpreted by some to be objectionable. The author of the 'Witchcraft of Archery', can't remember his name-and I am too lazy to get up, talked about killing a hundred fifty or so songbirds-today that would make a person a villain-does that change your opinion? Fred's shooting a lion after dark, his thoughts on the POD. Past archery heroes killing animals at 80 yards. Howard's elephant; on and on.
Yesterday we admired Joe who was such a great hunter- first one out and last one back into camp. Today some would say Joe is a poacher because he walks in the woods after sunset with his bow and arrows. Criteria change, opinions change and we find out new facts, and sometimes people change too. Yes we can make heroes too quickly, or judge them too harshly when they disappoint, most of the time we are told who to revere and whom to disrespect-let's just make up our own minds.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Perhaps Mr. Thomas wasn't specifically referring to a traditional bowhunter but rather a certain celebrity bowhunter who pleaded" no contest" to game violations in California. Either way, his point is well taken.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Sure some of the old time traditionalists I still admire and respect a few living today, but learned a long time ago (probably about 15 years or so), don’t have look too deeply into so-called icons to find impurities.

We’re all without fault, but personally, I’ll never put a man on a pedestal and some of these so-called celebrity hunters seen on TV today make me want to puke.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Witchery. . .  not witchcraft . . . of archery
By Maurice,  one of the Thompson brothers.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©