3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: THINKING NEW  (Read 390 times)

Offline ECRESS

• Trad Bowhunter
THINKING NEW
« on: December 31, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
BEEN AT TRAD FOR ABOUT ONE YEAR.TOOK 2 DEER THIS SEASON IT WAS GREAT.STARTED OUT WITH A PSE THEN GOT A EARLY 70S KODIAK HUNTER FOR DEER SEASON.BOTH 60IN 55#@28.MY DRAW IS ABOUT 25.5.I SHOOT 3FINGER UNDER.WANTING A NEW SHORTER BOW FOR TRESTAND HUNTING.IS 56IN TOO SHORT FOR A BEGINNER.I LIKE THE BLACKWIDOW BOWS. ARE THEY WORTH THE MONEY?THIS COULD BE ONLY A ONE IN A LIFETIME BUY FOR ME.SO I NEED TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOISE.THANKS FOR FEEDBACK!

/
H

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: THINKING NEW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Bring a hand full of arrows, an arm gaurd and tabs to the Kalamazoo Trad. Expo in Janurary. You will have dozens and dozens of bowyers at your disposal. Its in the S.W. corner of Michigan.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
here are my opinions ...

if this was basically yer first season and you already harvested 2 deer, yer way ahead of most trad newbies, congrats!

try before you buy, or at least try any shorter bow.  

if yer a 3 finger under shooter, the tiller of most bows *might* be an issue for you.  one good reason for a custom trad bow.

there are *TONS* of great bows out there, and black widow is one of them for sure.  everything about bows is subjective, so do your homework, try before you buy if at all possible (shoots, clubs, local shops), and good luck.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Rob DiStefano "if this was basically yer first season and you already harvested 2 deer, yer way ahead of most trad newbies, congrats!"

Congratulations!

You are also ahead of some of us who've been bow hunting a little over a year or 10 ...lol

Listen to what Rob is telling you about bows as he's right on the money.

I hope you continue to enjoy success!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ECRESS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
THANKS FOR GOOD ADVISE.I CAN ALWAYS COUNT THE GUYS HERE.I GOT THAT NEW BOW ITCH BAD.HOPE THIS SEASON WASNT BEGINNER LUCK.GREAT QUOTE MUDD "IT IS WHO I AM!
H

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Ecress,

Please loose the cap lock key.  It is considered shouting on forums like this and is hard to read.

Kalamazoo would be a great place to go and try a bunch of bows.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Definitely have to shoot a short bow to see if it suits you. Some like 'em, some don't.
David M. Conroy

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
By the way, I usually hunt with 64"- 68" recurves out of my treestands....don't fall for the "short bow needed for trees" frame of mind. Nothing could be further from the truth. Unless you like the shorties better!
David M. Conroy

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:
Definitely have to shoot a short bow to see if it suits you. Some like 'em, some don't.
You should follow the above statement.

D

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Hi Eric!
Yep, Rob gives you solid advice as do the others.

Like many of the "gang" here I started with a "short" bow (Bear or Browning recurve).  These days those bows would be considered short , such is your 60"er, and ideal for tree stand hunting.  

Your short draw is a plus for shooting the shorties because you, unlike most of us, won't have to deal with "finger pinch" which can affect your accuracy and comfort when practicing.

What YOURNOC has said above is true....you can use much longer bows with good results..  I would also suggest that you spend a great deal of time selecting your stand location.  If you practice from above and learn how to safely shoot in somewhat awkward positions, you can continue to enjoy success.

Go and shoot a ton of 'em in Kalamazoo!  Since I am currently living in China, for me it would be a loooong trip but, depending on where you live in Indiana, could be just a couple hours drive. Well worth it!  Great place to hang out.

Good luck!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Remember when you are at Kalamazoo, whereever that is (grin) That the west has a lot of really good bowyers. Somehow on these threads People (God Bless you all) in the East forget that.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
Agree with every thing said above but will add with the enthusiasm I read in your post trust me this wont' be "a once in a life time purchase"! Just saying! lol
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline ECRESS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
LC,your rihgt but i'll let the wife think this is just one time.LOL .to Sixby.thanks,i did look at stalker bows website.great looking bows.
H

Offline ECRESS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
just checked out sixbys bows.WOW
H

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with what you have.I've hunted for 20 years with a 62 to 66 inch selfbows from a stand. Get a tree stand with and open front.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
Owning several BW bows and having just ordered a new one I can tell ya they are great.  I have shot a bunch of others but always come back to the Widows.

As has been said... do not fall into the "short for tree stands" mantality. I shoot 62" recurves and 62-64" LB's out of tree stands and have zero problems.

K-zoo is a great place to try bows.  There are also several makers out there that have "test drive" offerings.  Do that.  Ya need to put your hands on a bow to know.  I just made a five hour trip (one way) to Nixa, MO to the BW place to try several bows and then place my order.

If you want some feedback on Widow bows PM me.  I am an old guy and I am fussy about my stuff.

Congrats on your success this year.  You are, as others have said, ahead of the curve.

Best of luck with your quest
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
I think if you are happy with a 60" bow,why change.I think like others you should try a shorter bow first before you make up your mind.Also as mentioned,if you shoot 3 under you would want to order a custom bow tillered for your style of shooting.Also most bowyers will let you "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY"...tell them what style bow they make that you are interested in and they will mail one to you to try.Good luck and congrats on your harvests!

Offline ECRESS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
you guys sure make a new fella feel rite at home.thanks for everything!
H

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©