3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fast flight vs. standard strings  (Read 1051 times)

Offline IowaBob

• Trad Bowhunter
fast flight vs. standard strings
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
I'm thinking about buying a used bow that only handles the non-fastflight, "standard strings".  With a 26" draw at 58 lbs, how much slower will this bow be vs. a new bow of the same model (Robertson) that takes fast flight strings?  

I'm thinking of using the used bow for elk.  I have a bow that I can easily shoot with, but its only 46 lbs.  Thougths?

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fast flight vs. standard strings
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
When I've gone from FF to Dacron I've lost about 3-5 fps--kinda depends on how efficient the bow is to start with.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
I have an older 65lb non-fastflight recurve bow that, with an arrow of about 550 grains, is slightly slower than a newer fastflight bow of 56 pounds.  I think several other things contribute to the higher speed in addition to the ff string, including better materials and the designs used today, I draw the lighter bow about 1/2 inch farther, etc.  

I would recommend you shoot them side by side.  You may find that the 46 lb bow will provide the same speed to a heavy arrow.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
I agree with the 3-5 fps loss in speed.  Over hunting distances I doubt you will be able to tell the difference.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
I agree, maybe 5 fps difference, not enough that you or the animal will notice.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
IowaBob, 3 years ago I chronographed my 54lb Fox longbow with the fastflight string Ron & Debbie furnish with the bow & a B-50 string, same brace height. I also used the same arrow for the whole test so there was no arrow difference.I got a consistant 3fps faster reading with FF than I did with the B-50. I wouldn't worry about lost performance. Shoot & enjoy. Frank  :thumbsup:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Why bother with a fastflight string in new bows if it only gives you 3-5fps faster arrows? Don't the B-50 strings give you a smoother feel or feedback or less shock? Are we just looking for that little bit of more speed that really isn't noticed???? I got away from compounds partly because I got fed up with all the speed chasing gimmicks.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
Snag,
You left out that dacron strings are usually quieter.    ;)  

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
If the bow is an older dacron bow that is what I would use only.But if the bow can handle the new materials I prefer D97.I've found it quieter then the old FF.On some bows dacron can increase handshock and feels springy.I shoot D97 for the fell and not for the speed increase.It makes my bow feel more solid at the shot.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
I shoot TS-1 for the feel.  The added speed is a bonus (and it's like shooting a bow 5# heavier w/o actually pulling the weight - what's wrong with that?)  On every longbow I've owned, made, or borrowed the low-stretch materials (TS-1, DF97, FF) have been quieter with less hanshock.  Normall the sweet spot for the brace height was slightly lower as well, which = a longer power stroke and better performance.  The string can be thinner as well (build up the serving to match what you like) which makes it lighter which will give you even better performance.
On selfbows it's been a wonder - lower brace height without the wrist (not forarm) slap.

Now recurves is a different story...   :rolleyes:  Some seem to like certain materials more than others.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
On the only bow I've checked both on,D97 gave me 8fps over dacron with no extra noise that I could tell. Your mileage may vary......
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
Keep in mind that you will also more likely need a heavier spined arrow if you use FF.

Personally, I think FF is quieter on a longbow then Dacron.

The Dacron may be a little quieter on a recurve though because of the string slap.

One thing that I love about FF though is once you set the brace height up, its there. Not much maintenance is required.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Why bother with a fastflight string in new bows if it only gives you 3-5fps faster arrows? Don't the B-50 strings give you a smoother feel or feedback or less shock? Are we just looking for that little bit of more speed that really isn't noticed???? I got away from compounds partly because I got fed up with all the speed chasing gimmicks.
Good question.  As far as speed goes, there are lots of variables--how the string is made, how many strands, how the nock fits, etc. etc. etc.  Huge speed gains aren't the norm, but you can generally pick up considerably more than 3 fps.  Shoot, if I can keep my release within a consistent 3 fps. I'm tickled.

I don't buy into gadgets and gimmicks myself, but I (personally) wouldn't buy a new bow that wasn't made to accept the new materials.  I like them because they reduce hand sock, have much less stretch/creep, are much tougher/more durable, and (on my bows anyway) they are very quiet.  I don't mind the small amount of increased performance either, but I'd use the new materials even if they were a little slower because I appreciate the other benefits.

Chad

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
My experience is the same as Jry309 and Jeremy.  D-97 is quieter and gives me a more solid feel on longbows.  The few extra fps is just a bonus.  Works pretty well on most recurves as well, i.e, no noisier than dacron.  Haven't tried it on my selfbows yet, but I believe I'll give it a shot.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
My FF stings are quieter and slightly faster-at least on my Marriah and my Habu. They also result in noticeably less hand shock. I defintely wouldn't buy a new bow that wasn't FF compatible. At one time , I really didn't care, but after shooting my recurves with FF, I can't handle the handshock associated with dacron (at least on my bows).

BCD
BD

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
I shoot a Predator with D-97. I do like the feel of that string, but it's too loud. I've re-placed it with B-50...MUCH less noise. It's supposed to be slower, may be it is, I can't tell.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »
I wonder if a lot of the handshock some of you mentioned with B-50 isn't because the strings have way more strands than necessary. I use 10 strands on my 50 and under bows, 12 on my 55 pound longbow. I have virtually no handshock with any of my bows. I can't comment on the speed issue as I have never shot a bow with FF string of any type. None of my bows are FF compatible anyway.  :rolleyes:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
I think it's more due to the elasticity of dacron vs. the FF type materials.  A simple comparison would be take a piece of twine and a rubber band.  Stretch each one tight and have someone pluck it.  Notice the rubber band has way more vibration.  That's one way to look at dacron (the rubber band) vs. Dynaflight.

Most likely the reason you don't notice any shock because you are used to those bows.  Some folks don't notice any shock in bows that rattle my teeth and literally make my elbow sore.  

My selfbow is a monster for hand shock with dacron, but it calms way down with Dynaflight.

Chad

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
Chad,

Would you shot a self bow, osage, purple heart accents glued with TBIII with a fast flight string?

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
If it has reinforced tips, yes.  I have an osage selfbow with antler tip overlays that I use a Dynaflight '97 string on (loops padded to 18 strands).  It's held up for well over a year now, and seems to be no worse for the wear.  

I wouldn't normally reccomend FF type materials for a selfbow, but I couldn't handle the shock on mine with a dacron string (tears up my elbow).  Now that I've tried it, I really like it!

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©