3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mowhawk / whip, compare please  (Read 190 times)

Online cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
mowhawk / whip, compare please
« on: December 31, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I was just wondering if I could get some one to compare the two for me... Grip,smoothness,etc....
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  Proverbs 3: 5

TOELKE WHIP HS 48 @28, 60"
TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28
BLACK WIDOW PMA III 51 @ 28, 62"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: mowhawk / whip, compare please
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
all the specific and peripheral info you need about these bows is on the bowyer's respective websites.  the rest is heresay and subjective opinion.  in essence, these are two top notch bowyers, each offering custom bow offerings.

let the opinions rain down .....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
You wont go wrong either way. The two quietest bows I have owned. The Mohawks limbs are slightly wider. Two of the nicest bowyers out there. Workmanship on par with the best. The classic grip whip is similar but the regular whip grip is more recurve like. You will not find better than either bow. It is just a matter of if they fit you. Did I say they are both spooky quiet?
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Dan has made a few Whips for me and each of them has been an absolute pleasure, beautifully crafted of exceptional woods, forgiving, smooth drawing, dead in the hand and QUIET. That said, you may find that Dan's "Super D" Hill syle bow is closer to the Mohawk and you could not go wrong there either, in fact they are what I mostly shoot now and they have all the previously mentioned manners with quietness in spades. I have never shot one of the Mohawks but everything I've ever seen written about them has always been positive. Not a new suggestion but if possible, shoot them both and for sure talk to both bowyers.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
I have one of each and love them both.Excellent workmanship on both.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Never shot a Whip but have really looked at the D Bow Dan builds. I do own a Mohawk and love it.Super quiet and the best grip for me.RC

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Never shot a Whip either but, I sure do miss the Mohawk I was foolish enough to get rid of!   :rolleyes:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
I own both but what i think of them shouldn;t matter to you...you need to try them out for yourself.

They are both great bows and you really cant go wrong with either. They are also two great bowyers to work with. The Whip is a bit faster due to its design..the Mohawk to me is one of the best mild R/D longbows out there. A real pleasure to shoot.  I like both alot... good luck

Online cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Thanks all for the replies...
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  Proverbs 3: 5

TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
The Whip and the Mohawk are 2 different animals.  The Whip is a moderate R/D bow with locator grip/thumb rest.

As Jim indicates a more apt comparison would be the Mohawk and one of Dans "Super D" bows.

I have had 4 of Dans "D" bows through my hands,  each one shot great, was built PERFECTLY, and each was "fast" for a D bow.

I have not shot one of Vinces Mohawks.  I was talking with him last fall about ordering one but never pulled the trigger.  Wish I would have as the bow would be in my hands already.

I can recomend the Super D, or any other bow Dan Toelke makes without reservation.  I can also say everyone that I talk to that has owned or owns a Mohawk always leads in with the fact that they are real shooters as well.

I realize this may not be much help just wanted to point out that the comparison should be with the 'Hawk and the 'Super D.

Online cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks Lamey...

TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©