3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate Coyotes!  (Read 2029 times)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate Coyotes!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChristopherO:
Having hunted coyotes for many years I've read countless forums where so and so said his uncles brother in law's best friend's cousin's dad said the state DNR released those dang beasts for various reasons.  Unless someone produces a bonified document from the state that specifically states this as true then take all the rumors with hefty grain of salt.
Coyotes have been expanding their range for quite a few decades and now every state east of the Mississippi have them due to the migration.  
Think about it a minute;   BRIDGES over large rivers are an easy path to follow where there wasn't access before the 20th century.  They are the most adaptable critter out there.  And, yes, they do like the taste of venison, too.
I've heard the same claims of introduction numerous times. I've never heard or seen a single verification of even one of those claims.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Coyotes are in fact, an invasive species in most areas that they now thrive.

I have to respect their ability to adapt and change as fast as the weather...but at the same time I can easily describe the emotion I get when I see the damage they cause as hate.

In 1978, when I first began bowhunting in Michigan, talk of coyotes was a big fat ZERO. There weren`t any around. In 1983, when I saw my first coyote, it was common to hear them howl. Now, they live in every county in Michigan, and there is a loaded rifle at my back door for when they refuse to respect the boundry of my back yard.

I personally have not lost a deer to `yotes, but I have many friends who have. To accept losing a deer from a two hour wait is something I cannot do. I have personally seen coyotes reduce a 100+ pound whitetail doe to bones in LESS than two hours from the time of the hit to "recovery".

Good coyotes all have one thing in common.

Too bad about your deer Slayer1.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
I have heard the DNR rumor also. I think they have been spreading this way for years. When I was young, it was a rare occurance to see a deer track in our County. Now, it hard to drive to work without almost hitting one. One rumor that I think is pretty credible is that fox hunters released them. Fox hunting with dogs used to be popular in the mountains. I heard it is hard to tell fox pups from coyote pups. Maybe it is just another rumor.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Yes a person should hate coyotes for doing hat they do naturally. I mean if they do not eat your deer they can just go on down to the coyote super market and get dinner there, oh wait.....
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:
No offense bud but I think you might be ignoring the obvious.  Make a better shot next time.  Or learn to track better.  Yotes are just doing what they do.  Hate is a very strong emotion.  If you're counting on deer to feed your crew, you might take up the more efficient firearm.  Shoot them in the shoulder.

".....Make a better shot next time.  Or learn to track better......".

Dang, John, kinda harsh there don't ya think? I guess you've never made a marginal shot on game or had trouble recovering an animal before? If so, I would say you are one of the few.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
I don't like 'em much myself.  There good at doing what they do.  Too good, maybe.  I'll shoot every one I see.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Coyotes are the coolest game to chase. I have seen what they do to sheep and other live stock. But I do not hate them . They are super survivalist. And that they should be controled . I going with others here you made a bad shot and you lost your deer the coyotes just found it. Thats part of hunting. People like to blame something other than them selfs to much. Im sure you did your best at tracking the deer and that should be good enough. If you need meat that bad go buy it. Hunting is hunting and some times you loose.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
They are alot of fun to hunt & trap if that's an option for ya...you can't totally get rid of them but that doesn't mean you can't keep the population down some...your actually better off having a few around so a "bunch" doesn't move in...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Ok, I'll admit I don't want ALL of them dead...I love their singing. Maybe I should rank on the gray wolves they released in NM several years back...
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by slayer1:
For sure! That doe was going to feed my crew through the summer. It really fries my butt! The DNR released them hear a few years ago. I think that was a BIG mistake. They multiply like crazy.
The DNR released coyotes? What a bunch of morons.  It's not exactly like they need help spreading.

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Elksong:
Coyotes are cool. They'll be here long after we are gone. Total surviors. As far as them getting your deer, if you want to be a part of nature you have to deal with the out come when nature takes is course.
Before you throw out the anti hunter statements, I have shot truck loads of coyotes, I just respect them for what they are.
I agree with elksong here..
The Coyote was created like that, and cannot change their ways like us humans.
They do not deserve less respect or ethical treatment than any other animal in my opinion, even though their numbers may need controlling.

Sorry you lost your deer though  :)
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:

Originally posted by John Scifres:
No offense bud but I think you might be ignoring the obvious.  Make a better shot next time.  Or learn to track better.  Yotes are just doing what they do.  Hate is a very strong emotion.  If you're counting on deer to feed your crew, you might take up the more efficient firearm.  Shoot them in the shoulder.

".....Make a better shot next time.  Or learn to track better......".

Dang, John, kinda harsh there don't ya think? I guess you've never made a marginal shot on game or had trouble recovering an animal before? If so, I would say you are one of the few. [/b]
I thought that was a bit too much myself. Just because your thinking it, doesn't mean you have to rub salt in an already open wound Jon.

The man just lost a deer and for the rare few out there that have never had it happen to them......this comment has nothing to do with you.

If you bowhunt long enough it's going to happen sooner or later, then you too can join the ranks of other bowhunters who have been humbled by a bad shot. It's not a good place to be and I'm sure he feels super bad about it.
That may also lead to some of the hate he feels about the coyotes getting a deer that he could have otherwise recovered in the morning.
Chances are that if it was cold enough that night the meat would have been fine.

Don't pretend for a second that there's not plenty of guys out there that wouldn't have done the same and left the deer overnight rather than jump it out of it's death bed.

With all that said, I don't hate coyotes for being the hard core survivors that they are. They could adapt and do adapt to any environment on the planet, I can't help but admire that.

On the other hand, I love to eat rabbits, deer, and turkey so the fewer coyotes there are......more wild game for my freezer.

I stopped killing rabbits on my place for over 4 years because the coyotes nearly wiped them out, so I started killing the coyotes. Now I have rabbits again and still have coyotes, just a few less than before.
I really enjoy hunting them too, I won't pretend that I don't......I just don't want as many as I have around here at the moment. I would be a bit disappointed if there weren't any at all because they do serve as nature's clean up crew and they are highly efficient at it.

I completely agree that we shouldn't hate an animal for doing what it was put here by the Creator to do, that's their purpose.
Although they must be controlled like everything else or eventually you'll find yourself eating tag soup more often than you can stomach.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Just for the record fox kits and coyote pups don't look alike.  Coyote pups look like this:

I was brought these last year from someone who knows I am a predator hunter.  I couldn't keep them, though, as the rules of my nuscense trapping permit won't allow keeping coyotes in captivity.  They had to be euthanized.  The state does not want these wild dogs to be transplanted anywhere.  They sure looked just like the domestic dog pups we've raised, though, but they were coyote pups.

This is the last coyote I had a close encounter with.  At times the pack needs to be put on their better behavior.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
I have heard the DNR rumor also. I think they have been spreading this way for years. When I was young, it was a rare occurance to see a deer track in our County. Now, it hard to drive to work without almost hitting one. One rumor that I think is pretty credible is that fox hunters released them. Fox hunting with dogs used to be popular in the mountains. I heard it is hard to tell fox pups from coyote pups. Maybe it is just another rumor.
I guess its just a rumor. I heard it at a NCBA meeting a few years ago. As far as the comments on my shooting ability/tracking ability I really take offense to that. I have been hunting with trad gear a long time and have always felt it was better to give an animal time rather than push it., just seems the yotes don't allow that anymore.

PS - if anyone wants to shoot for $ I am game anytime. Just send me a PM!

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Lost the back end of a doe I shot this yr. as well. I don't hate them, but I definitely will drill one if given the oppurtunity. I also have no problem letting a deer go overnight if the weather permits and I think its necessary. If the yotes find em first, that's just part of rolling the dice.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss, Slayer!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Predator competition!!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
I've never lost a deer to coyotes but in the last few years the numbers around here have increased. On a walk down our driveway the other morning we noticed this scene in the fresh snow. Looked like a doe was taken down by coyotes. The scene was in a relatively small area without much hair and blood scattered all around like you would think. I took these first pics with our dig camera then I put a trail cam on the kill. The disassembly process and the culprits involved is quite interesting.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
I lost a doe this year also, my first deer lost to yotes in 25 plus years bow hunting. Shot her at sunset waited bout 20 munites to get down and found out the batteries were dead on my flashlight spent 1 hour going to town for new batteries and found the deer less than 2 hours after the shot and their was NOTHING left of her.
It was a perftic double lung shot and she was only 80 yards from my stand when I found her.

doug77

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
Slayer, I lost a deer last year to coyotes. I shot her late and their was snow on the ground so I figured I would just come back in the morning at daybreak. They found the deer and ate the hams. I salvaged what I could then took the carcass as bait. I got the guilty party or their relatives.  What county in NC do you live in.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©