3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate Coyotes!  (Read 2031 times)

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate Coyotes!
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
my observation is as deer populations exploded throughout the nation their predators population just followed I dont think anyone officially stocked them

without coyotes wolves and lions deer would be slow fat and stupid predators are what keeps things wild

Offline dsc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
in nw pa we are starting or  having a prob. with them.have herd about peaple killing them with ear tags but never saw it myself.the dog hunters around here kill a hugh number per year but they seam to be growing in numbers.the more you kill the more they breed.lost an 8 point to them this year myself.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Night Stalker:
Slayer, I lost a deer last year to coyotes. I shot her late and their was snow on the ground so I figured I would just come back in the morning at daybreak. They found the deer and ate the hams. I salvaged what I could then took the carcass as bait. I got the guilty party or their relatives.  What county in NC do you live in.
I am in Alamance county, but I hunt in Guilford, Orange and Alamance. I have seen more Yote evidence this year than I ever have before?

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
My older brother had a predator of "different sorts" a couple of years ago on a bowshot doe. He also shot it right at dark and wasn't sure about the hit so he marked the spot and left it till morning. When he returned the next morning he tracked the doe less than 100 yards from the spot where he shot it, but the deer had been dragged a little ways and covered up entirely by leaves. Nothing was really eaten off of it just some chew marks and bite marks, but he said you couldn't see any part of the deer exposed and it just looked like a big mound of leaves piled up.

Cats are the only animals I know of that cover their food with leaves, coyotes on the other hand in my experience will only try to bury pieces of it to save for later.

So we were sure it was a cat, but we just don't know how big? He said it was about an 80lb. doe so I assume it would take a fair sized cat to drag it any distance away from where it died.
Looking back on it, we should have put a trail cam on the carcass and left it there to capture whatever came back to recover it's meal.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
I have lost part of deer to coyotes on a couple occasions. There not really hunted around here and thick in most areas. I do spend the late winter seasons trapping and snaring them to help keep them from getting crazy over populated. It seems much more effective then hunting them.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
They have my respect.
 Survivors just like us( more so I would think) and we probably piss them off too.
Haven't even had a shot at one yet over here.
Funny thing is, they cant do anything about us getting crazy populated.They gotta do what they can to live as we keep spreading into the woods.
 At least we get a chance to hunt and trap them.
 Advantage: us.  yet they still beat us all the time.
I think they are a very important part of the big equation for us like it or not.
David M. Conroy

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I was in Nova Scotia last October (09) when the young female folk singer was killed by coyotes. I've run to a bleating button buck to chase the coyote of this live deer's hindquarters -it died less than a minute later. I used to let yotes go when I saw them. Now, if I have opportunity, they die. I've killed two in 12 months in my backyard -- they are extremely allergic to 270WSM.

Lots of folks think their DNRs "stocked" coyotes.  While I certainly don't know the facts for every state, I can tell you this is an urban legend in most, if not all situations.  Like others wrote above, the Coyote is an extremely adaptable creature and has been expanding its range for a long time. They've had some help with this from houndsmen who have bought live ones from trappers in one locatin and released them inside enclosures to run/train their dogs. This is illegal in many states. Of course captive animals don't always remain captive.

I do know the USFWS stocked some red wolves which could easily be mistaken for coyotes in a couple places 15+ years ago but in most cases these releases failed -- due to cross-breeding with coyotes! They wanted to do this in KY but we said no.

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Problem with coyotes is that there is no real predator to keep them in check.  Numbers of those who trap coyotes or hunt them is not enough to keep numbers down.  The natural enemy of coyotes is wolves and most areas have none of those and those that do have wolves feel the same way about them as we do about coyotes.  The only other natural control is Mother nature herself (hard winters, mange, etc).  Coyotes are extremely adaptable so my guess is that coyotes are here to stay - hunt them when possible but enjoy the outdoors as much as always knowing they are just part of the outdoors!!

Cheers,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
I also trapped them for years, but now it's much more fun to call them in. I may have to go back to trapping them though? They seem to be repopulating quicker than I can keep up with them.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
"It's not meat until it's in the freezer."   E. Don Thomas.
   My best friend lost a deer to coyots.  another friend lost a bull elk to bears, his elk was laying 1/2 mile form were mine was down.  I lucked out that night...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Last season my neighbor arrowed a doe and it dropped within sight. Within a few minutes a coyote was already on it. He arrowed the coyote as well!

I helped him track the coyote to it's den, but neither of us was about to stick our hand down there to drag it out. LOL

So around here you don't have much time to find your deer.

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Last season my neighbor arrowed a doe and it dropped within sight. Within a few minutes a coyote was already on it. He arrowed the coyote as well!

I helped him track the coyote to it's den, but neither of us was about to stick our hand down there to drag it out. LOL

So around here you don't have much time to find your deer.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
My bother-in-law shot one a couple years ago,and hit a little far back, had to leave her overnight. Came back the next morning..about half the back end was eat off of her. No one makes perfect shots all the time. Those things happen, and its dang aggervating. Sorry for the loss! Jason

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
Here is all I have to say, if they are a nuisance. Maybe it's time to not hunt so much deer and time to hunt some coyote. They aren't just going to go away. People used to hunt coyotes all the time what happened to that.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
They are hard to hunt! I'm trying!
David M. Conroy

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
I don't hate much, it's a strong word for an animal that's just trying to eat.  It's not the coyotes fault you didn't find your deer.

I've lost a deer to coyotes too.  The fellow who said you should shoot better or improve your tracking skills cut right to the chase.  It's true and it doesn't hurt my feelings nor should it hurt yours.  If I wouldn't have shot too far back I'd have recovered the deer before the coyotes did-no big news there.

Incidentally I like coyoets, they sound nice at night and are great fun to hunt. I say hunt them hard as there are a lot of the buggers and it helps to keep them thinned down.  I'd mourn the evening where I couldn't spend some time outside without hearing the "little song dogs."

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
It seems like a lot of the young deer here are eaten by them before they get a chance in life.
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Get a gun for yoters not a bow, maybe more fun with a bow but alot less likely, just pop em at 200 yards and leave em or skin em.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Put a trail camera on some scraps or road kill for a couple of days. You'd be surprised what contributes to the disappearance of a deer carcass. Amazing what a flock of crows, helped out by a hawk and a fox can do.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Killed the first one I ever saw in Georgia back in '84.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©