3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate Coyotes!  (Read 2026 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate Coyotes!
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
It is what is is guys.  That coyote needs to eat too.  

Like was said earlier, either shoot better, or track better cause if you leave a deer overnight, it just might get eaten.  That's the chance you take.  In some areas, you don't even have to leave it overnight, just an hour or so.

It isn't good or bad, evil or otherwise.  It is just one of the things we have to deal with.

If you are worried and feel that you need to leave the deer alone for a few hours (sometimes a very wise choice),  sit in the woods and wait.

You can hear the coyotes getting to your deer and go get em before they can do too much damage. Same works the next morning using the normal crows and other carrion eater birds to lead you to your deer.

Paraphrasing the E Don quote above,  it ain't your's till it's in your hand.
ChuckC

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
"just pop em at 200 yards and leave em."
 That's honorable.
We need more people like that in the woods.....
  :eek:
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
And what do you plan on doing with a spring coyote? They are over populated and are destroying small game populations and if you leave them that means other animals get to eat? So what exactly is wrong with what I said. Do you know what a carrying capacity is? It is the amount of animals that can live in an area based on food and predators and if you have a ton of coyotes eating all the small game, not only are you going to not have much if any small game to hunt or enjoy seeing out in nature, then you are destroying an eco system, and if they kill everything around they are just going to starve. So what is your plan of action for over population? we have huge packs that kill dogs in peoples back yards, I don't live in colorado where they are in more rural areas, they are coming into citys. How many yotes have you had at 20 yards? A gun is the way to go if you are wanting to do proper population control, I only use a gun a couple time a year and deer isn't one of them, but if you want to lower population numbers, just look at how many are killed in gun season compared to bow.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
It's been proven that Coyotes control their own populations.  If an are will sustain a certain amoount of dogs they will throw pups in accordance with what the habitat will support. So shooting coyotes really doesn't have a long lasting effect on the population of the species in that area. That's is why the have never been erraticated, like wolves and Grizzly.
So shooting a spring coyotes is just fun for you and does no real impact to the population. hunters should really know more about the animals they hunt.

The gestation period for coyote pups is nine weeks during which time the female needs high energy food to ensure proper development (Bekoff & Wells 1980). Population density of coyotes directly affects the litter size of the breeding female. If population density is high then litter size will be small whereas if population density is low than litter size will be larger (Knowlton 1972). The correlation between population density and litter size may be related to resource availability. If population density is high, resource availability may be low which means the female will get less energy and nutrients she needs to allow for successful development of a larger litter of pups. On the other hand, if popular density is low, resource availability will be higher due to less predation and the female will get enough energy and nutrients to bring a larger littler size to term.
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Also there is always something that can/and should be used form any animal that you take.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
I understand that a population of coyotes can support it's self by controling it's breeding size but they have also proven that they have a huge effect on small game populations, rabbits in ohio used to be aplenty now you can barely find them any where and our coyote population has sky rocketed, also the reason that thier is no limit on coyotes and no closed season on them in ohio. When they get hungry enought they come for dogs and children if hungry enough and you can find those cases on the internet along with an adult female being killed in canada by coyotes. And for a personal reference my friends have been out hunting coons at night and had a pack of coyotes following them back, as well as dogs attacked. So you hunt as you will and I'll hunt as I will. Coyotes also have no predators in ohio except for humans.

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Yeah i said use it's hide but I'm not everyone, thats their dicission not mine "I" use as much as "I" can from every animal I kill. thats why I said that and you cut my quote short. I have a quiver made from a spring coyote.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Well spoken Elksong!Coyote,(aka:the Trickster")has always been there and always will be.I can relate to the author of this thread and yes here in Oregon yote #s are through the roof and if possible you better not try and leave a kill out over night.Myself and others here have been burned by them in that regaurd.I have also seen them in a couple of areas were ,because of the brush and no pressure on them that they have become almost brazen in their hunting/oppertunism.None the less,they are an important part in the ecosystem and have as much right to make a living than we humans I think.If you kill one ,tan it or get it tanned.Makes a great hat.I am making a vest out of 5 of them right now.Its going to be warm!And after all of the human race imploades,the trickster will still be lurking.However,in Yellowstone now the wolves have put the hurt on them big time.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
I want to add that predator controll is the responsibility of we hunters as well.If we want good populations of others that is.Im just for the use of the hides as much as possible.It gives the antihunting people good ammunition when people just leave coyote carcasses laying around in places were they may recreate as well.I shot over one the other day at 25 yards and the bugger took a very quick smell of my arrow and bolted.Uggh!

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
I personally am totally for using every part of an animal, coyote skulls are a very attractive addition to a camp site or man cave, I have great respect for all animals but I can't control what others choose to do with them, also at $80 a hide I can't afford to get everthing I shoot tanned. I have a opossum hide from 3 years ago in my freezer waiting to be pilled out and salted and hopefully brain tanned.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Good jobcelticknot,now were talking.A coyote jaw bone obsidian knife is big medicine.I want to share to you an excellant hide tanning place,called "Furs 4 Fun"in Ruppert,Idaho.Check them out on line,you will be impressed.His prices and quality are excellant.I have had him do many hair on hides and have seen tons that others have had done and they are excellant.Granted,they are small so you arent going to get you stuff like pronto,but his quality and intgrety are exceptional,price too.He doesnt make leather though.Just a fyi for you all.And I agree that to each his own on the subject.All we can do is try.

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Good info Chanumpa. I just think that Coyote gets a bad rap. He is a beautiful intelligent animal that deserves more respect the just random killing. Foxes, coons, Bobcats, skunks, weasels, hawks, eagle, owls and not to mention feral cats and dogs do plenty of killing, but most of the pop. issues get blamed on Coyote.  I agree in hunting and trapping them.  I just could never hate them.
As far as rabbits go I would say that it has always been up and down for the populations, they natuarully cycle high and low, with or with out coyotes.

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by adkmountainken:
ok WHY IN THE WORLD would they do that????????
For those of you who think your state wouldn't introduce or relocate Coyotes in your state....your being very naive.I personally saw a coyote in a holding pen ( not a trap ) on a piece of NYS land in Delaware county.The coyote had a NYS DEC tag on its ear.I think the DEC was letting it get accustom to its surrounding because after I was done bird hunting (2hrs) I went back to look at it and it  and the holding pen was gone.That was almost 20 years ago and look at the population NY has now    Best Bob
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline maxplan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
If you can believe this: I live in Northeasten Ohio and I just read that the county we live in funded a project to track the whereabouts and travel habits of Coyote's. In so doing tha trapped at least 15 Yotes and attached GPS collars that send text messages of locations to the biologists. The collars cost $4,000 each and they have 15 yotes in the program. Cost just for the collars $60,000. They are trapping more, doing studies and releasing them "back into the wild"...how nice. The concencus in the article was that Coyotes have a wide and unpredictable range that has little pattern to it. That facibnates them so that they love this tracking program. In a day of tax and spend madness we are being robbed blind by our officials. Check it out in your area. I'm amazed.
Ed G.

Offline maxplan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Oh...in the article the also said that the DNR has been using airplanes to drop antibiotics for racoons that prevent rabies.  Again...man hours, airplane fuel and maintenance, antibiotics and monitoring.  Crazy!
Ed G.

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Its very simple to me  .....if you want to have good game populations on your hunting grounds,then shoot coyotes every time you get a chance.....the need to be managed....your never gonna kill them all and you shouldn't anyway........if you don't want to shoot them let us know how your game populations  have changed over the next few years.

Best

Bob
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline illwhttail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
I had 2 deer chewed on this season within 30 minutes of shooting them.  I shoot everyone I see.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
I shoot the ones (and leave them)I see just to keep them wild and wary. Its been proven that hunting and even trapping does nothing to control the population - food and habitat do. And I'll never be foolish enough to believe the NY DEC or any state agency has ever released any. I'd love to see proof posted to show me wrong.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
I can only say I have heard rumors, and I am saying the word rumors,  that Michigan was looking into them as a means of cleaning up all the roadkill problems we have. Now that was years ago, but I'm just saying I could see politicians looking at it that way. Our DNR used to have some separation from the politicians, but now they are controlled by politicians, so who knows what brainstorms could come up.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Invite some trappers to Trap them..Welcome to the food chain..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©