3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Appalachian Wilderness Hunt Ideas  (Read 474 times)

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Appalachian Wilderness Hunt Ideas
« on: January 02, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
My brother and I have been trying to come up with some ideas on an Appalachian trek to just get lost (prepared of course)for a week shooting and eating critters with a bow, flyfishing, picture taking. Anyone with any suggestions and ideas on what or where would be a cool hunt/back country camping anywhere in the Tenn., N.C., (W.)Va., n.Ga. mountains. I don't really care if you've hunted the area or not, just an idea or some experiences would be cool, maybe somewhere where you would like to go or do trad. wise. Spring or fall. Thanks ya'll....Phil (P.S. The "Mountain Men and Archery" thread definately helped to inspire this post!)

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Appalachian Wilderness Hunt Ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
Oops, silly me. Forgot to include one of my favorite states- Kentucky. I realize its almost like asking where in the Rockies to go ,but I got all the time in the world   :cool:  ....Phil

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Research the Dolly Sods wilderness area in West Virginia.   The area has miles of trails and some of the most spectacular scenery you'll witness in the lower 48.   There are lots of trout in Red Creek and the area sees little pressure in the archery season.   Bear and small game numbers are good... Deer numbers are currently low due to a big winter kill last year.
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Dolly Sods is as wilderness as you get south of MAine.There are some gresat spots there so look into them ..I agree with the spectacular.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Look at the Chattahoochee National Forest in North Georgia and the Cohutta Wildlife Management area specifically.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Big South Fork(Ky & Tenn)...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Take a look at Georgia's Cohutta Wildlife Management Area and the enclosed therein Cohutta Wilderness Area. It is about as remote an area with potential for the trip you describe as anywhere in the eastern U.S. I am entertaining the idea for a backpack trout fly fishing trip there myself.

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Big South Fork I want to go spend some time there. If yall put it together let me know
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
I spent a lot of years hunting and trapping in Dolly Sods.It is beautiful and lots of opportunities for pictures.Plan on carrying enough food for the entire trip.If you plan on shooting small game to eat,you are going to lose a lot of weight.

Red Creek has stock trout but there is vehicle access so it isn't real remote.There are a couple really neat streams on top but they have no trout but there are a few chubs.Leave your pole at the car.

Basically,the only small game are snowshoe hares and red squirrels.I would see snowshoe hare tracks in winter but never a sighting of the hares except occasionally in summer when there was no season.The red squirrels are around but fairly wild.

Deer can be hard to hunt on a good year as thet mostly have random patterns and don't stick to trails much over most of that country.When deer numbers are down,it can be much tougher.On one 8 day hunt I did,the wind blew violently for 6 of those days.It is the only place I have ever hunted where deer didn't seem to mind the wind.

There are a few ruffed grouse but you may go days withoout seeing one and they usually fly out way ahead.I did shoot one with my bow from a treestand,only because he stepped behind a tree and I could draw,unseen.

It can snow from Sept through May so be prepared for cold temps.

Dolly Sods is unique and beautiful country though sometimes inhospitable.I love that country.Go well prepared but don't plan on getting your meals there.

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Check out the Lewis Fork Wilderness Area in the Jefferson National Forest (Virginia).  Miles and miles of trails including the Appalachian Trail and the Virginia Highlands Horse Trail.  I've hiked the area during warmer months but never hunted it.  Mount Rogers (Virginia's highest peak) is located within the wilderness area.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
To go into more detail on what I meant in my earlier post when I wrote "with potential for the trip you described" I mean the trout fishing is superb, the remoteness of the area dictates it and there are many miles of streams to fish and big game hunting as well. A great ammount of information on the area is available by using an online search engine and from the state of Georgia as well.

Offline RPolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
Another vote for Cohutta WMA and Wilderness Area.

Great back country camping.

The potential for bear, deer, turkey, or pigs depending on the timing of your trip.

Excellent trout on the Jack's and Conasauga River
"These Longbows are cool" Eli age 7, while stumping in the back yard

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Did a backpacking trip to Dolly sods last year,Beautiful Country, get some maps cause it's huge,didn't see a lot of big game sign but we didn't stay too far from the marked trails...
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Slick Rock Wilderness on the NC\\ Tennesee border.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
The App. Mtns. covers almost all of the east coast states. That could add up in non-resident license fee's. Just be sure to check and see when most of those die hard hiking trekkers start there journey. I have heard of some people who trek the entire mountain range.Can't you do a do-it yourself hunt in any of the states. Check out some of the hiking web sites they may have some good maps and advice.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Mount rogers and Grayson highlands in grayson co. Virginia would be a cool place. Looks alot like Canada up there. Blue berrys in the fall, beautiful scenery and plenty of whitetails.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
The "Otter Creek Wilderness" in WV. It is part of the Appalachain Trail and is easily accessed just outside of Parsons WV.

We used to do some turkey hunting in the spring there up till noon then fish for trout until dark. Your within twenty miles or so of several good trout streams. There are even native brookies in otter creek itself. We almost always saw bear when we were turkey hunting, but haven't been there for years. It's a nice place, easy access and you can go as far in as you want.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
I recomend the Cranberry wilderness of West Virginia.  I do a camping, fishing, hunting trip there every fall.   There is an old railroad bed that follows the cranberry river that the state of West Virginia has built lean to on for camping.  The River itself is stocked with trout but since it is a wilderness area and not a accessible by car along the entire route the fishing is fantastic.  I have also had great luck hunting deer, turkey and small game along the entire river.  I usually pack a takedown flyrod and follow any one of numerous native brooke trout streams in the area.  I will alternate hunting and fishing as I feel the need throughout the day. I go with a friend of mine and we take 2 cars and park one at the trailhead and the other at  the end of the trail 18 miles away, we usually hunt for about 3 to 4 days working our way down river.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
steve that sounds like my kind of getaway. you guys kayak it or just stick to the banks?

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by bad arrow:
My brother and I have been trying to come up with some ideas on an Appalachian trek to just get lost (prepared of course)for a week shooting and eating critters with a bow, flyfishing, picture taking. Anyone with any suggestions and ideas on what or where would be a cool hunt/back country camping anywhere in the Tenn., N.C., (W.)Va., n.Ga. mountains. I don't really care if you've hunted the area or not, just an idea or some experiences would be cool, maybe somewhere where you would like to go or do trad. wise. Spring or fall. Thanks ya'll....Phil (P.S. The "Mountain Men and Archery" thread definately helped to inspire this post!)
You may want to try a PM to Bear (Alex Roché) on here. He's a tour guide around the Cade's Cove are of the Smokeys here in Tennessee. He's a very enthusiastic backpacker/hiker/hunter/trout fisherman & I'm sure he'd be happy to point out a few areas around East TN/West NC. Damn nice guy too!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©