3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Many 160 grain broadheads; few or hard-to-find 160 grain blunts...  (Read 271 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
3Rivers no longer sell the 160 grain Ace Hex blunt, and neither do Kustom King. 3Rivers told me they won't be getting any in, but not why, and I'm curious. I can still get them through Black Widow. I know the shops still sell 160 grain round steel blunts, and I'm sure they're just fine, but I do wish that A) Ace Hex 160 grain blunts were more-readily available and that B) some of the cool-lookin' blunts were available in 160 grains. Is it all part of some conspiracy to phase-out the 160 grain broadheads?   :saywhat:  160 grains still seems pretty popular and common for broadheads. I love this weight. I'm talking glue-ons for woodies, of course. Does anybody have some insider information they can share?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Many 160 grain broadheads; few or hard-to-find 160 grain blunts...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
You can get them right from Ace as well as any other weight they come in

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Check out Red Feather's Talon. 150grn. Devistating head for small game. I need to get more!

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Maybe the reason is cost. Do the 160 grain Ace Hex blunts cost more than the 160 grain round steel blunts?
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:
Maybe the reason is cost. Do the 160 grain Ace Hex blunts cost more than the 160 grain round steel blunts?
No, they cost the same as any other weight Hex Head. They're always available directly from Ace, and usually for less money and less shipping that most retailers charge.

www.acearcherytackle.com

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:

No, they cost the same as any other weight Hex Head. They're always available directly from Ace, and usually for less money and less shipping that most retailers charge.

www.acearcherytackle.com  [/b]
There's the reason 3 Rivers is dropping them; as a manufacturer you have to be the most expensive option if you expect any retailer to carry your product.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Swamp Yankee:

Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:

www.acearcherytackle.com  [/b]
There's the reason 3 Rivers is dropping them; as a manufacturer you have to be the most expensive option if you expect any retailer to carry your product. [/b]
Actually, I should have rephrased that. Instead of "most" retailers, it should read "some."

Ace charges the same as places like Kustom King and a few other retailers I've seen. Personally, I'm glad Ace doesn't raise their prices just to placate retailers who want to charge more than everyone else. That's how prices spiral out of control. Competition in the marketplace is suppose to lower prices, not raise them.

If I had to guess why 3 Rivers doesn't carry them, I'd suspect it has something to do with the fact that they sell their own private label small game blunts. I used to work for a nutrition supplement distributor years ago that, once they developed their own line of products, slowly stopped selling their competitor's merchandise.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Could also be that any retailer usually has a fixed amount of space and tries to carry what moves quickly off the shelves. If something like 160 gr hex blunts is ordered only a few times a year/quarter it may get displaced by something new or more in demand. Modern computer inventories tell a retailer exactly what moves and what doesnt.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
KK is also selling another brand of the same thing.

I just buy them from Ace directly or at a Trad event.

Bob Mayo and his wife are 2 of the finest people you will ever meet.

Eric

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Ben,

There's also a weight system that I bought a ton of- its little weights that scew into teh back of a shaft insert....I use them to make my judos the same as my heavy broadheads.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Ben

Lost Nation archery, another TG sponsor carries them in that weight and more and Larry usually fills orders quickly.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
I've been making mine up using light weight blunts and the weighted inserts.  It's not perfect and seems hard to stop my heavy weight arrows, but it's worth a try.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
Ben try Red Feather Archery Talons, they are great small game heads and are now my favorite stumping head. They are 150 (for glue on) and I sure can't tell the difference in 10 grains.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©