3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HELP!!!! Carbon opinions  (Read 412 times)

Offline OhioWidowMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
HELP!!!! Carbon opinions
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
I have a Black Widow MAIII 55@28 and wanted to shoot 5575 carbon gold tip expedition hunters out of it. The arrows are crested from the factory, I will be putting on 3, 5" AMG feathers with a 125gr magnus stinger. Will I need to add werght to the front to get them to paper tune properly or will they shoot fine the way they are? Has anyone shot carbons successfully through a papertuner, and if so, what is your set up?  Any tips or tricks are appreciated. I am just a whitetail hunter with this bow and am using 2115 XX75 right now. PLEASE HELP!!!
Using my stick to hand out DIRT NAPS!
Black Widow PMA 55@28

"I DO NOT HUNT TO KILL, I KILL BECAUSE I HUNT" -ROGER ROTHHAAR

"A RECURVE NEVER PREVENTED A KILL, A COMPOUND NEVER GUARANTEED ONE" -ROGER ROTHHAAR

Offline Lancelot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HELP!!!! Carbon opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Given just the above information, the 5575 GT arrows will be too stiff with a 125gr head.  You will need much more weight up front.  It would be best to start with a full length shaft to begin with as well. I am thinking you need to start with a 160gr (maybe more) at the tip.  My question to you is how much weight are you actually pulling?  Is your actual draw 28"? or is it more or less than that? You need to know how much weight you are actually shooting.

Lancelot

Offline OhioWidowMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
I pull 27.5" draw, so right around 55#. I shoot 29" 2115 with feathers and 125 magnus and get a bullet hole through the paper. Please feel free to post up any suggestions!
Black Widow PMA 55@28

"A RECURVE NEVER PREVENTED A KILL, A COMPOUND NEVER GUARANTEED ONE" -ROGER ROTHHAAR

Offline MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I have done a preliminary setup using 55/75 with my Black Widow 55# at 28".  I personally don't use the paper method not sure it is what you want.  My carbons are cut to 29.25" nock vally to end of tip insert.  I added 100gr insert and use 150gr min to normal 175gr tips with good results.  Shafts were tuned with bare shafts and fletched shafts with more due focus on the bare shafts out to twenty yards.

Offline OhioWidowMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
I try to shoot bullet holes bare shaft, maybe slightly weak. that seems pretty heavy up front, whats your FOC? How do you tune your carbons?
Black Widow PMA 55@28

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Here is how most guys shooting trad tune for carbons.  I haven't shot through paper since my compound days:

http://bowmaker.net/index2.htm

Offline OhioWidowMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
that was a long read, but a lot of good info on there. thank you. I always paper tuned to enusre that my arrow is flying straight out of the bow and that as much energhy as possible is being tranferred into the bussiness end of that arrow. The tuning written in the above link sounds like it would take some time which is fine by me because I love to shoot, but also seems that it would ensure a more "true" tune per the individual bow and archer. I hope that more people will read that article and try it.
Black Widow PMA 55@28

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
I would concern yourself with finished weight as well.

Offline OhioWidowMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
I added 50gr behind the head screwed into the insert. The final arrow weight is 448.7gr with an FOC of 17.65%. Going to try to shoot tomorrow, what do you all think?
Black Widow PMA 55@28

Offline OhioWidowMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
had to up it to 70gr behind the insert and a 125gr head. any other advice would be appreciated. going to try broadheads tomorrow
Black Widow PMA 55@28

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
I pull 55# on my BW psa and am shooting 125 grain broad head with 50 grain brass insert. I shoot carbon express 250 full length "my draw is 31.5". They bareshafted great for me with this length and weight up front.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
If the 2115s shoot great.....why bother?
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline OhioWidowMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »
thanks for the input hawk and hitter. I went with the gold tip expedition hunters in 5575. I know that this may sound silly, but i went with them for a nicer look in honesty. the black arrow with the white crest and 2 charchuse and 1 white shield cut feathers are beautiful! Also, I like that they break and don't bend like aluminum. I shoot 100yds with the carbons out of my PSE compound and have been very pleased with thier performance, and am now hoping to attaing the same degree of pleasure with them out of my lovley Black WIdow.  Please keep your inputs comming, I appreciate them very much!!
Black Widow PMA 55@28

Offline OhioWidowMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Arrows are at 480gr, with 17.68%FOC. Rainning out today  :(   Going to try and tune BH when it stops. Any opinions or suggestions?
Black Widow PMA 55@28

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
I need to go with a 100gr. insert plus a 175gr. point with GT 55/75. Shafts are cut 29 1/2" BOP. This is out of a couple of my recurves that are 55# at my 27" draw. Gives me a total arrow weight of around 525gr. which I find just about right.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I used to shoot gold tip  5575 full length arrows with a 125 grain head out of 50-55 pound bows and they shot great. Kinda long though, I think 32 inches or so.

Offline OhioWidowMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Going to test broadheads today, finally nice out  :)
Black Widow PMA 55@28

Offline OhioWidowMaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
I just shot the 125gr magnus Stingers 4blade, with 70gr behind the insert. OMG!!! LASERS!!! Used the method suggested on here (link below) and it was the easiest, most mind blowing, and accurate method i've ever used. Thank you for all your help guys. Anyone with questions feel free to contact me here or my email [email protected]

Link for tuning:  http://bowmaker.net/index2.htm
Black Widow PMA 55@28

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I use AD trads, cut them to the length I want and just shoot. Haven't had to do more "tuning" than that with the tapered shafts. I love them.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©