3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: does any one use a release?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: does any one use a release?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 03:44:00 AM »
Very cool, Mudd. My good friend, and columnist of "Topics from the Tropics" in "Archery Action" magazine, Tony Jensen, used a release aid for a little while after I converted him to traditional bowhunting.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
If your having fun and the arrows are flying where you want them to.... then have at it. Who cares what somebody else thinks. I have arthritis in my hands at some point I may need a gadget to shoot, when that time come I'll have one!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Easy to make from an old belt, easy to use.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
I'm into my second season using a release, and it's made shooting fun again. I've tried everything else in a battle with target panic, and this has given me the best results. I don't turn in scores at shoots anymore, but I don't care. I write VOID across the scorecard right in front of the guy that took my cash, then go out and have fun. Anyone having a problem with it, I show them the "voided" card, and continue with my fun. Do whatever it takes to keep your archery enjoyable.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Mudd, that is a great idea.

I know several people who used a release to help cure their target panic.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
Just reading the words 'target panic' gives me the yips !   ;)

:scared:
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline royking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO KEEP SHOOTING

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I have been playing with an older release from the 70-80's since I pulled a muscle in my back big time and having trouble with my broke-in-3-places wrist.It's called the Trophy Hunter release. You place it onto your serving under the arrow, and it uses 2 ball bearings in a sleeve. When you pull the release, it allows the sleeve to go forward, and lets the ball bearings to slide sideways, releasing the serving.

It allows me to use my back to hold the weight straight through instead of transferring the pressure on my arms, wrist and finger.

I think that they don't make them anymore, but I picked 2 of them up for less than $10 each. They were advertised as "vintage" releases.
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
shooting with a release can change the arrow spine and will change the arrow speed up to as much as twenty fps. i have been using a release for two years now. once and a while i have someone say something about it, but not that often. and there are some matches i can't compete in. how ever that is what is required for me to keep shooting and therefore that is what i will do.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
Mudd, that is a truly classic "peering over the glasses instead of looking through them" pose in your last picture. Reminds me that I need to get one of those elastic straps to keep my glasses where I want them. Otherwise at the moment of truth they will be where yours are, out of the (sight) picture.
DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
I am now the proud owner of two Winn Free Flight C12 relax type releases (bought the second one on flea bay for $11.50). They work a lot more like a finger release than others. On occasion I will fool around with one on my target bow. In fact I am going to go out and try one right now, for when I go goose hunting this afternoon with one of my recurves.
DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline steve schrank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
i dont use it but there is wooden non mechanical release plans in one of the old instinctive archer magazines

Offline SOLDIERII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Try using a BW tab, easier on the digits
SoldierII

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Just got a wild hair up my butt as my target panic is trying to creep back into my life. So.. I grabbed my mechanical release for my "C" bow and said what the heck.

What I found blew my mind.

Upon getting ready to squeeze the trigger of my mechanical release, my right shoulder involuntarily lurched forward. Mind you, I didn't actually hit the release, so this tells me that it is mental muscle memory making me 'collapse' right before the shot.

I had nooo idea that I was doing that.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
Mudd, not commenting on your release, but my arrows are pink like yours, and your do-rag ROCKS.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »
I used a release for a while when I broke my middle finger. It seemed like my bow was way louder than normal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©