3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: dachsunds  (Read 1508 times)

Offline bkyrdshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: dachsunds
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I had a dachshund. He is considered a tweeny. he is between a full size and a mini. I took him everywhere with me. I worked with him from day one and was very proud of how he turned out. I never worked with him on hunting or trailing that all came very naturaly to him.He would just go nuts to get into my canoe to go paddling and was the best little fishing buddy I had ever had till my children came along. He would stay right by my side as long as I had a fishing pole and would go nuts when I had one on the line.

His nose never left the ground when he walked. Of course it didn't have anywhere else to go being that close and all. He would go after anything and everything on the ground and would sit at the bottom of a tree if a squirrel was in it. He was all outside dog. He has an easy life now I have not seen him in almost three years. He was not really mine to begin with. The ex wife is the one who bought him and said it was hers but never did any thing with him. When she was done wih me she wanted "her dog". So now i'm sure he is still sleeping on that $700 sofa I paid for and is lovining every minute of it.

All and all what every you end up with it will be only what you put into it. You train it well and it will be a great dog for you to make memories with.
"Energy and Persistence Conquer All Things"   Benjamin Franklin

Offline seanF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Wow!!!! I am overwhelmed with all the information. Had no idea the dachshund had so many lovers and haters. Would really like a dog that has a real desire to please, as this would be a real joy in the house and in the field. I usually only harvest a couple deer a year so a well rounded dog with good temperment would be desirable.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
seanF - May be better people to comment than I, but owning and breeding dogs much of my life I wouldn't touch an off the street American bred bloodline dachshunds for blood tracking, but rather go with those European bloodline dachshunds "teckles" bred to hunt.

Do a search here on the topic.

I know I'll get scorched for this, but I owned a miniature dachshund about 10 or 12 years ago and was the dumbest dog I've ever owned, and as said, have owned many. He was beautifully marbled colored smooth coat from American bred bloodlines and I paid big bucks for him at the time. The dog never shut up and was so dumb, he wondered away from the house and never did find his way back home... truth.

My girlfriend’s sister owns two mini's in long coat, and neither of them are the sharpest knives in the drawer either.

It’s all about the pedigree.

Just my opinion, but I'll never own a dachshund from American bloodlines again… Okay, weiner dog lovers, flame away…8^)

Offline montucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
funny...
I think it is true that there are only a few good U.S. breeders that are breeding and working hunting dachsunds from the right pedigree...

If you dont want pure distilled hunting insanity, then I would stay away from anything german.  The rat terrier is my #1 pic for a good around the house/family mellow lapdog with some fairly serious hunting prowess.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
Well, I don't have much experience with bloodtrailing dogs, but dogs in general, well, that's what I do for a living.

I own & operate aboarding kennel & dog grooming parlor (salon sounds soooo gay!) & I've been bitten by more Dachshunds than any other dog. It seems like 9 out of 10 are pure-bred bastards & the other 1 is half-bred bastard/retard.

Something to bear in mind, you're really not going to spend much time actually working a tracking dog, unlike a pointer or flushing dog, so choose a breed that makes for a good companion. If you prefer a smaller breed, a small Rat Terrier/Jack Russel - Chihuahua cross would make an excellent companion with a fantastic nose. Pretty much any dog can be trained to trail, if you start it young enough (personally I'd want to get it on blood no later than 6 months) & generall speaking Mutts make the best natured, least neurotic dogs. There are so many problems associated with all pedigree dogs that a little cross-breeding can really help a dog out. The little Jack Russel/Chihuahua crosses often misrepresented as Rat Terriers are, generally, the friendliest, easiest to train dogs I've ever come across that aren't Hounds.
A small bodied Beagle would also be a great choice, but they do need a lot of stimulation. They absolutely crave to work, otherwise they'll run to fat, but if they're well exercised, they are a pure joy to be around!

This is Tremble, my Jack/Chi cross. Friendliest, smartest little critter I've ever come across! Her personality fills the entire room!

Oh, this is her usual position whenever I'm reading. She's very 'anti-literature'

"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
My in-laws have a mini. He's dumber than a box of rocks, and sweet as can be. He literally cries and groans and whines when they leave the house, very dependent little dogs and yes they love to be on you or underfoot. He isn't housebroken at the age of two despite all efforts. Yes he bites people who come to the house to work. Yes he barks at ANYTHING that moves. Do I like him? Yes. Would I own one? No.

I would buy/adopt a rat terrier ANY day of the week, esp if I needed a small hunting dog.

WTF is "Bloomberberg syndrome" and how does NY have anything to do with anything? Sounds a tad anti-Semitic to me. I would keep those comments to yourself. Haters suck.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
My jack russel will find any dear as long as you soak your arrow in bacon grease before you shoot the deer.   :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:    

But seriously JR's have an incredible nose and can be taught to track just about anything.And you will tire long before they will
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
We have had two weiner dogs as pets, both with great attitudes, the little male we had would tree a squirrel in a second.  However, the beagle is a great choice for all around dog and companion. I have raised beagles most of my life and if given a choice the beagle would be mine. Any breed of dog can have differing temperments, so it is a good idea to spend time with the puppies even before you select yours from a litter, research their parents and spend time with them, and ask questions. Be blessed in your search.
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
blacktailbowhunter,

Why couldn't you keep your Jagd Terriers in the burbs?

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I have owned labs, setters, shorthairs, wirehairs, small munsterlanders and dachshunds. I figure I have one more one more good hunting dog life left afield (I'm 61). Just picked up a dachshund puppy for that last dog. So, I have voted with my feet.

You are also going to have to vote with your wallet. A good hunting stock dog of any breed is going to set you back at least $500 - $750 being the average these days. You are going to spend another several hundred on vet and food bills over the years.

Be careful that you are getting a dog from hunting not show breeding. Show dogs are only for looking at in this country - its different in Europe where dogs are more selectively bread to be good at what they are supposed to do first and then selected for looks.

Any hunting dog from a serious breeder is going to be a lot of work to train and live with. It will expect to work and if you do not provide this work it will make up its own projects - often involving a lot of damage.

If you have the resources and are willing to do your part, you will get great rewards. If you are not sure, get a pet dog. Get a sweet mutt from the pound or a companion breed.

There is a reason that labs are the most popular breed in the US. They are easy and friendly. Some are even good hunting dogs.

All that considered - I like a dachshund. A lot of dog in a small package.

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
my last dog was a beagle she was a great companion and tracker . I got her at the animal shelter , you could try there . You have to get what you like . Companion FIRST than tracker hopefully . lol Duker

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
I am a little suprised by some of the comments about dachsunds......I guess we got lucky with ours.  I have one of the Jeanneney wirehair dachsunds.  She is a GREAT tracker but more importantly a great family pet.  When we bought her from John and Jolanta, they asked alot of questions to make sure they gave us the right dog.  We have kids and another small dog in the house and so John gave us the smallest female in the litter.  She is the family favorite pet and is even more popular in hunting camp, especially after finding someone's deer.

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
Lot's of folks in Texas use the wirehaired variety for tracking dogs. I've seen some outstanding wirehaired Dachshund trackers.

Personally, I just can't see running around with a hairy wiener dog on a leash saying "Yep, that there's my tracking dog!"   :clapper:  

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
I think you are seeing that there are really two types of Dachshunds in the US - the "working" type and the "show" or "pet" type.

Please, if you have negative experience with the "pet" type don't pretend to be expert with the working dogs....they are not even the same breed.  Rob - if you get out my way let me introduce you to Oskar - I think he'll change some perceptions you have about Dachshunds.

These dogs were developed over hundreds and hundreds of years in Europe for one purpose...TO HUNT.  "Dachshund" translates to "badger-dog" in German and they were originally developed to go underground and throttle badgers - and a 20 lb wiener dog can take a 30 lb badger if he knows what he is doing.  They are THE versatile hunting dog in Europe.  Unfortunately indiscriminate breeding and putting "form" over "function" in the US has virtually destroyed the hunting instinct in the "pet" or "show" dogs - and led to many of the health and temperament problems people talk about.  This is very similar to what was done to the cocker spaniel and is currently being done to Labrador retrievers by non-hunting breeders.

Ryan

Offline seanF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Ryan, just spoke with the gentleman in Mich, you emailed me about. Very helpful, and he loves his dachshands. He has one with european bloodlines and another he found in the newspaper. They both track great and are great pets, but he finds that his "go to dog" is the one he found in the local paper. Not that the teckel is any less of a tracker, rather he has tracked with the other so long, he reads this dog a little better. One thing he emphasized is the time involved in working with whatever dog one chooses. Still not sure which breed for me, but I am sure learning alot from tradgangers!!!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
What about Bloodhounds and Coonhounds.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
My experience with beagles...stubborn, dumb, and don't shut up when they should. Jacks...hyper, yippy, good hunters. Coonhounds...howling, loud, stubborn. Dachsunds...loving, smart, great trackers, not to loud. Train em up, great companion and deer/hunting dog.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I got a mini 4 years ago- liked him so much I got another last year. They definately have personality, I laugh my a*# off constantly with these 2 little clowns running around. I never really tried to train them but they have great noses.  If I were to get another dog- without question it would be another dachshund
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
We have had Dachshunds! Great dogs with such personality.
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline Karebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
You are also going to have to vote with your wallet. A good hunting stock dog of any breed is going to set you back at least $500 - $750 being the average these days. You are going to spend another several hundred on vet and food bills over the years.
I hear ya. From my experience, the purchase price means little in the long run. I have receipts to prove it!

Be careful that you are getting a dog from hunting not show breeding. Show dogs are only for looking at in this country...
Good point. I have one beagle from hunting stock and one show dog. Though I don't hunt them, the first is a real squirrel hound. The show dog is clueless. (But cute.)

Owlbait. Forgive me, but Beagles and other hounds may be stubborn, but they are not dumb. Retrievers, for example, are breed to assist the hunter. Hounds are breed to LEAD the hunt... Independent thinking takes a whole lot more wit than blind obedience. They think they should have a reason for doing what you want them to do... Food usually does it.  ;)
Kanati 60" 48#@29"
Kanati 60" 38#@29"
There are only two types of leaders. Those bloated by power, and those humbled by responsibility.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©