3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: finding lost arrows  (Read 813 times)

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
finding lost arrows
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Was shooting at one of the boys tennis balls and lost an arrow in the grass. My boys are always coming up with something, they hung a ball off to the side of one of are targets and told me I couldnt hit it.I can shoot really well with my compound but, I have put it away seens I got into trad archery so I hit it 2 times in a row at 15yds  third time it went low and into the grass couldn't find it for 45 mins or so. So does any one have a good way to find lost arrows. thanks Mike

Re: finding lost arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
metal detector will pickup on the point..

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
or make a little hook claw thing on the end of a broom stick or u could use something that was made for finding arrows. A RAKE
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Take off your shoes, and sometimes you will feel it with your feet, as long as it is a field point. Not a good idea for a BH
Ken Thornhill

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
One trick is when you miss don't take your eyes off of where it went and retrieve your arrow immediately. Once you take your eyes off it's hard to go exactly back to the spot.  The bare foot thing works as Kat said.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
thanks guys I did get the rake out but the arrow went alot futher than I thought it would just happen to line up my shot and look 20yds behind the target and seen the shaft sticking up in the grass thanks guys Mike

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Next time, if you are gonna shoot at tennis balls on the grass or hangin' from a string, use Judo Points or rubber blunts. They won't dig so deep into the grass or weeds.... By the way, my middle name is "lost arrow".   ;)  (But I find them years later.)  :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
By the way, my middle name is "lost arrow".    ;)   (But I find them years later.)   :biglaugh:  

I'm learnin to find my arrows a lot faster now a days but there is still about a dozen out there that still elludes finding.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline weezy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Don't laugh; I've actually found lost arrows with a y shaped tree branch, the same as I use for water dowsing (witching). I swear on my best bow. If you can witch water give it a try.
Bob
TRADITIONAL ARCHERY
It's been in my blood for 40 plus  years.
It's priceless!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
If you don't use blunts or judo points hang an old blanket behind the target and let hang and the bottom lay forward like a big L . If you miss it should slow the arrow down and it wont get buried.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
i actually found one this year that i shot at a turkey about 25+ years ago,that was kinda neet to see that old aluminum arrow....

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
My dog has found a couple for me.  Just tell him to "fetch it up" and sometimes he will - if he feels like it  :)   Always wondered if the water witching stuff would work, I might have to give it a try next summer.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
OK pete whats the water witching stuff?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
The first thing I do is cry. Then I go get the twins then cry some more if they can't find it.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
I lost an arrow in exactly the same way and I've been looking for it for two years now, every time I hunt where I lost it.

It baffles me and I can't help but spend a little time at it each trip. Must have slipped into a crack in the earth!    "[dntthnk]"
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Use another arrow to rake the ground in the area you suspect the lost arrow, perpendicular to it's path. You will hear it "tap" when the tip touches the lost arrow. Works well when arrows are laying under cut grass.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by smilinicon:
Use another arrow to rake the ground in the area you suspect the lost arrow, perpendicular to it's path. You will hear it "tap" when the tip touches the lost arrow. Works well when arrows are laying under cut grass.
Same here. But like said before, don't take your eyes off where it went and stay in line with it as you walk up. Sometimes they'll skip out of the grass and back into it way down range.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
When you come here to learn how to make a string I can show you how to make an arrow while we are at it.  At less than a dollar it will not hurt so bad when you looses one.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
A little trick I use is to go back and recreate the shot with a judo point.  Then search in line with it forward and backward with an old arrow or rake.

That said I still can't find one I lost in my backyard this summer and I've looked a dozen times now.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kevin braun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
I have a German Hunting terrier that is about 99% on finding my lost arrows in the grass.  saves a lot of money, but I usually have to reflectch after she finds it.(she likes to bite the feathers)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©