3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Custom vs Stock/Used Bows  (Read 570 times)

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
Custom vs Stock/Used Bows
« on: January 02, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
There were pictures of a new Tall Tines recuve in this thread that I really liked and it got me thinking,   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=097414#000000

There are many beautiful trad bows out there but only a handful are REALLY jaw droppers (but they are different for everyone).  Everyone has different preferences and we well know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder so it must be tough for bowyers to build someone their imagined dream bows, cosmetically speaking.

For those that have ordered custom bows, how often have they met or exceeded your expectations (again, only talking looks)?  The jaw droppers are so rare that I figure it may be better to look for a stock or used bow than expect a custom to meet expectations.  Any thoughts?

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Custom vs Stock/Used Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
There is more to a bow than being a jaw dropper in my opinion, but when you find a bow that the looks appeal to you and the bow shoots as well as you want it to, bam you have a winner.
As far as new or used or stock, I prefer to find a used bow that meets my crIteria, saves money and time. The last bow I just picked up is a Black Widow PSAX in mint condition, I doubt the bow would look any better if it came straight from Nixa. I saved money and I got exactly what I wanted.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Not wanting to sound like widow folks ar ganging up on you but...

I have bought used and new. They have been Widows and all have met or frankly exceeded my expectations....

To make a point, I just drove 5 hours to Nixa to try a particular grip and ordered an almost plain Jane PL II but with the grip I wanted and fiberglass overlays like, but instead of the bamboo.

Looks are good even tempting and man was I tempted when I was there, but not for this bow... I wanted a work horse and thats what I got.

Ya likely should shoot some bows to find what ya like...  then either start looking for something in the "Stylin" area that you like or ... well, just go order it.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
oxnam,

I have owned and still do own several custom bows that to "me" are and were when I received them "jawdroppers". It is exactly like LongStick64 said though, the looks and the ability to shoot as well as you want it to is what either keeps the bow on my rack or not. I have traded and sold only two bows that I wish I had back. Only one of the bows was a "looker" as well as a performer.......the other one just shot so dang good for me that I can't believe I ever let it go.

Perception is the key, both for "looks" and "performance". People are different, and different things appeal to them visually. What one person thinks is a "jawdropper" the next person will think is "too flashy" or "too pretty" to hunt with. I won't own, and definately won't keep anything that I wouldn't carry into the woods.

As for custom bows, in my opinion it would be very hard to find a Blacktail "Snakebit" bow that won't make you drool all over your keyboard. As for factory bows, I have a couple of vinatage 1960 model bows that are also pretty easy on the eyes. None of the bows mentioned will leave my bow rack until I'm dead and gone.

My name will be back up in a couple months on Norm's list.......this time it's gonna be an Elite VL with two sets of limbs. I'm still not certain on wood choices, but his attention to detail makes everything look great.

I have found that I like to shoot various bows made by different bowyers, but they all have a similar grip and that is what allows me to shoot them better than others.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
I ordered a bow from Brian at Talltines, but I decided he probably would get it to me this Spring or Summer and in time to get used to it by Fall 2011. So TIMING had something to do with it. The bow I want is more basic, although I think it's going to be a beauty as is.  I dont see many TT's in the classifieds, so I figured to go ahead and start the clock ticking.

I know this thread is not specifically about TT's. Just a happy coincidence.   ;)  Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I have a couple of Jaw dropping customs that cost me,and I am real happy witha and enjoy shooting alott.However ,I also have 2 others that are a Damon Howatt and a Used Martin /Howatt that for me always seem to end up in my hand when it counts and turned out to be my favorites.Alott of it ,I think is in the grip and bow hand for sure.For me,once one(a bow) is blooded,then you have confidence.My 2 cents.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
I agree that shootability and reliably will always trump looking pretty.  Chanumpa, I too have a Howatt Hunter that I have shot reliably for many years.  

I had just about decided to go with a machined aluminum ilf riser then I started seeing some beautiful bows from a number of bowyers that have made me question going the aluminum route.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Have had several custom bows,some new some used.All were good bows but am now shooting Bois d Arc selfbows again and have once again fell in love with them.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Lots of beauty's. But I'm past that and realize that for hunting, you can't beat a rugged plain jane. I'm an exotic wood junkie too. I started picking my own wood and sending to bowyers.
Still love them just as much, but would rather hit the field with a basic bow that I'm not afraid to scratch.
Now, although I've had tons of gorgeous bows...one sticks out about twenty years ago. Dick Robertson built me a takedown. When I opened the box I almost fell over. I was pretty green then, but still remember that bow above all others.
David M. Conroy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
I you wait for the right one you can have both ,I picked a Dwyer Dauntless that was only a few weeks old for a real good price. Not only is it a good shooter at my desired specs. but is as you called it a jaw dropper as far as looks. Myrtle Burl lams and just beautiful woods in the riser. Oh did I mention it shoots good to!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
I have 1 custom bow that was made just for me "Zona #24 T/D" & to me it is still a jaw dropper in both looks & shooting but like others have said it's all in the beholder, I also have a off the wall recurve that a super fine bow "91' Sky-Sky Hawk by Earl Hoyt" so I guess it comes down to what YOU want out of a paticular bow that really matters.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
I think that with many bowyers you will end up with more of a jaw dropper from a custom order rather than an in stock bow. Not all wood is created equal, and a bowyer can tell which pieces of a particular species are going to be really special due to grain patterns,etc. One chunk of exotic wood might produce a couple of different risers, but only one might be "the jaw dropper"  

Of course,going the used route you may still pick up one that was custom for someone else, so may have superior wood as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
That is a very good point Whip.

So for my original question, for those that have ordered custom bows, how often have they met or exceeded your expectations (again, only talking looks)?

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Tricia and I have ordered and picked up four customs in the last two years.  All of them have exceeded our expectations.  We have two more coming over the next two months.  Since Wes Wallace is the bowyer we use, and our other four were spectacular, I am sure the next two will be gorgeous.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
As mentioned already, there is alot more that goes into the "perfect" bow besides looks. That being said, the only bow I've ordered new was a Silvertip. It blew my expectations out of the water. EXACTLY what I had pictured when I ordered it only prettier. I just received a used Widow SA X the other day that is exactly what I would've ordered from Nixa if I were going to buy a new Widow, but half the money. I thnk that as much as anything, the choice to go new or used is based on the fact that some folks just like to have something custom made for them. And more power to 'em. Or sometimes you just can't find what you're looking for.  Besides, it's a lot of fun going through the different woods and other options.
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 04:15:00 AM »
I ordered a Caribow Peregrine last year and I live in The Netherlands. I never saw one in real, but I read a lot of good reviews. The Peregrine certainly is a jawdropper and exceeded my wildest fantasies  :eek:  !

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000845;p=2
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 04:36:00 AM »
I'm an "In-Stock" guy and the pictures never do the bows justice.  I also enjoy my jaw dropping from 8 months of tight groups instead of waiting.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
A year ago I bought a stock bow that Jim Neaves had listed on his wesite. A 60" Cocobolo and Yew glass bow. It turned out to be the best shooting Centaur I own, the grip couldn't be better if it was made for me. I got luckey on that one. 90% of my bows were bought used or picked up on trades.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
I own everything and there isn't Holy Grail,just the bow that fit you and your shooting form.If you eally want a custom you must go by your bowyer and let him fit you the handle on your life hand.Both custom and stock are as good as you are good.Maybe customs look better for the chance of choose the woods you like most.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Like any other bow, they have to fit you. All the good looks aside- all of my best bows are regular old meat and potato bows. Through the last 35 or so years I've come to the conclusion that less really is more in most cases. I've dealt with too much exotic multi species woods not drying the same and creating problems to sign up for more. I still order bows and buy used but I lean hard to the plain jane bows that most offer as an option. Its tough to pass on those eye catchers though and I understand the attraction for sure. Listen to what the bowyer is telling you in most cases (chose wisely)  and you cant go wrong.
SL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©