INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year  (Read 60687 times)

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
NICE HOG...AND GOOD LOOKIN BOW TOO..
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
I surely enjoyed talking to Skyler.  He is a very accomplished young man.  

He takes his demeanor from his father who is also a very humble and friendly man.  

Don was one of the first to come up to me and ease my stress on arrival.  

TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Day two found me in the same stand in the morning.  And funny enough, the same deer were there.  That buck was in my stand well before light.  I think he woke me up.  

Later that afternoon found us all hanging around the pavilion, talking and shooting.  I hand many conversations and during one of them Mr Surtees offered to let me hunt with Chris's Hi-Breed, takedown long bow.    

Funny how fate has a way of stepping in.  My first few arrows with this bow were dead on.  

Later that evening, i sat, quietly in a stand, well away from anyone, thinking.  It was a beautiful evening and around 5:30 pm a group of deer feed there way under my stand.  Honestly i was looking for a nice buck so i stayed cool and calm.   While watching the deer i couldn't help but draw Chris's bow on a few of them.  It was my way of keeping calm and practicing my movement.  

But on one occasion, as i drew on the big fat doe in the group, I hit anchor, and a little voice took over.  
 I apologize for the picture but as the situation unfolded i was a bit shocked and didn't really take the time to set it up properly.

Chris was definitely there with me.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Good deal Mr. Jack and that is a mighty purty picture.

Congrats to all you fellers on the hunt....for the Kills and Making Friends you won`t forget.Time well spent,RC.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Don and Jack,,,, you guys are giving Curt a run for his money with your knack at capturing moments on film.Curt has always been "The Best", now in my book yall are "The Three Best". Im richer for making the aquaintance of "yous" 2 fellas. Boyd and Ken, you guys are some fine traveling companions and I enjoyed my time with you from the initial meeting at the airport til our cocktail chat in the hotel lobby in Austin. First time seeing both of your hog pics, outstanding. Still waiting on a pm from you Boyd.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
The first evening for me was similiar to Curt's. I was hunting out of the "Quigley Stand", a very good looking spot. My evening consisted of a small button buck, 2 very smart does, a herd of cows, and a sounder of hogs that I blew it on...first evening jitters  But I got that out of the way...

The next morning I hunted out of a ladder stand that I hunted two years ago, where I almost killed a MONSTER 8 point and Dad missed a good buck. For some reason, I had a really good feeling about that morning. I was the first one to get dropped off, so I had well over an hour before daylight. At about fifteen minutes until good shooting light, I heard something at the feeder. I looked through my binoculars to see a HUGE boar hog. I went ahead and stood up and got ready. I passed up a good broadside shot to wait a few more minutes so I could see him a little better. Five minutes later, he was almost in the same spot again, when he looked up and suddenly ran off. I wasn't quite sure what had happened. I knew he hadn't seen me....my thought was interrupted when I good sized doe walked into my shooting hole...then another..then another..then...well you get the point. . There were about 8 does in front of me. Then I saw something else...ANTLERS!!! I looked through my Zeiss binos. He was a nice sized 8 point, not as big as Izzy's buck, but plenty big enough for me  After a few minutes of feeding he was 18 yards, broad sided, front leg forward..perfect. I picked a spot about level with his knee. I was at half draw and....he takes off after one of the does. I watched him chase her over the hill and out of sight. Darn! But there were still several does at the feeder. I decided that I would shoot the next good sized doe that gave me a shot. Sure enough, a few minutes later, a doe was in the same spot the 8 point was only moments before. I picked my spot, level with her knee, reached anchor, and released....
I saw my charteuse feathers dissapear right in the pocket. My arrow zipped through her like it was nothing. She turned and ran, but I knew she wasn't going far.
Then the shaking started.... My first deer with a bow!! I sent Dad and Curt a text message telling them the story. They were almost as excited as I was.. Almost.  I waited about two more hours (It felt like five) for everyone to get there. we walked to the feeder and looked at my arrow...Lung blood. It took us a minute to find the blood, but when we did the blood trail was short and sweet..Hard to beat  We found her under a patch of briars that she had dove under. There were hugs and handshakes and high fives and of course..pictures.
That morning made the whole trip worth it :bigsmyl

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
You da man Sky!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Congrats on the hogs guys! And Skyler, congeats on your first whitetail deer. I bet there are many more to come. Keep it coming guys!

Bisch

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks Guys. I've killed several hogs with my bow, but this is my first deer with a bow. I'm glad it was my recurve!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Good stuff Skyler ... may it be the first of many mate !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Skyler...... now that is some sweet dessert as I read five pages here in front of the fireplace ! Congrat bud !

Looking forward to the rest of this thread !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Great pics everyone!!!  I am really enjoying this.    :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:      :archer:

Also, congrats on the great animals harvested.   :clapper:
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
i am very proud of Skyler as you might guess. Before this shot, I was telling him what to do and after it, I was asking.
Check out the Cap. It belonged to Chris and was a gift from Larry.

Skyler is not done on this trip yet.....lot more to come.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
Nice shooting Skyler....congrats on your 1st whitetail with a bow! Really like that bow...don't lean that against a tree and walk away...you might loose it. Can't wait to hear the rest of the stories.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Congrats on your first deer Skyler, way to go!  :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Did all my TG buddies shrink - or did Skyler get BIG!? Nice shooting Skyler and congratulation on your first whitetail.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Congrats again Skyler. Your a great man.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©