INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year  (Read 60649 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year
« Reply #320 on: January 07, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
Give me a few and I'll add my version....and let Sunny Hill tell his....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: January 07, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Good stuff guys!  I'll be back as soon as possible!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #322 on: January 07, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
...But in the dark and my haste, I'd forgot about my arrow holder and my "a little too loose nocks", I pulled the arrow right off the string without dislodging it out of the kwik-loc arrow holder! The hog just stood still....

Curt, that sounds better than a cardiac stress test.  

This story is awesome.  Great hog so far.  Crap, I've got to go to work.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: January 07, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
I'd asked Curt when we got out if he minded me taking Chris' bow in case we needed it, and he said yes of course.

Well,....I asked Michael if he would be my 'light man', and he replied...'Well hell yes'!!!.

Curt was on the hog not long after we got back to the last place we'd seen it....and I flanked him making a semicircle around to his left.  Then the ruckus began....

I heard Curt's shot and a grunt and heavy footsteps coming from the right, along with a visual of a briared jungle curtain dominoing its way toward me and fast.  Micheal picked up the hog with his Main Beam as he was behind me and over my right shoulder, and the hog kept coming and took a turn directly toward us.  

After the bluff charge ceased, the hog made a rearward step and its rear end went slightly back to the right, but its head was still facing straight at me and still having a 'chat' with us.....

It just happened, all I had was a small opening in the TX ebony jungle - at a Midnight colored hog - at dang near midnight, and a narrow target for a vital hit.  The only shot I had was to barely slip one by his left cheek just to get in front of the shoulder......

But I had the advantage,....I had Chris Surtees'   Kwyk Styk.    :readit:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: January 07, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Yea boy !!!!! getting good   :thumbsup:
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #325 on: January 07, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Now I'm stoked,need more  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #326 on: January 07, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
:confused:     :notworthy:    :archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: January 07, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
I had very high hopes for this trip, hunting wise.  Very few hunters in camp through the fall, must be the economy...  But the bucks that were taken were very good ones.  All sounds good for late season post rut deer that are hungry, especially when the natural forage is gone.

Got in Tuesday and was great to see a lot of folks I haven't seen since the last time they were on this hunt.  Also was glad to meet quite a few folks I haven't met other than on this site.  Danny Rowan was a big one for me.  Danny and I have known each other for almost 10 years, had many dealings with each other, but finally got to shake hands face to face.  Also got to give my hug to Larry, and I'm not sure who needed it more, him or me.  Still can't believe Chris was not there with us, but before it was all over I know for a fact he was there with us.  Most everyone there had something of Chris'.  I'd bought a Badlands pack from him that will carry my gear for years to come.  It is a bit faded and worn, but works perfectly for what I need.  Anyway...

Wednesday rolled around, everyone shooting and getting ready for the first hunt.  After our mandatory talk on the rules of engagement for the ranch by Terry, Peanut, and Dave we were off.  I'd gotten in with my guide Robert and I was the third person dropped off.  I was in buck country, and I knew it.  

This hunt started out slowly, no sightings, after an hour on stand the feeder went off and still no sightings.  I remained vigilant knowing at any minute my moment of truth could be upon me.  About 1/2 hour after the feeder had went off I look to my left (almost behind me as the stand sits), and a little 5 point walks into view.  He started feeding on the corn that Robert had put out from the truck feeder.  As I'm watching him, out of the scrub walks a large set of antlers...  When I say large, I mean large!  Very tall, 10" - 11" G2's and 9" - 10" G3's, with long main beams and mass throughout...  He was a 9 point but a no doubt shooter.  He fed on the corn Robert had spread, and finally worked into the feeder spray.  I positioned myself for the shot.  

With the calm demeanor of the deer, and light hunting pressure through the fall I was struggling with where I should be looking at the time of my inevitable shot opportunity.  Well, as I was struggling he walked right into my shooting lane broadside at 18 yards...  With his head facing away from me.  I came to full draw, zeroed my concentration at the base of his chest right behind the front leg.  At the release I knew that I'd made the perfect shot, but he dropped right out of it and the arrow went right over his back and stuck into the dirt where I was concentrating miliseconds before.  My heart sunk...

Of course they were gone... reluctantly I grabbed another arrow and continued to hunt.  I had 7 does, fawns, and button bucks show up right before dark but chose not to shoot.  Figured I'd done enough teaching for one day without trailing a doe in the darkness.

This was my sad tale of the first nights hunt, inspecting the arrow confirmed what my eye had seen earlier... clean as it was when I shot it other than dirt on the broadhead...  The Texas "Duck and Roll" is still in full effect, so there will be no struggling with point of aim on future hunts... And little did I know I'd have another moment of truth the very next morning...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #328 on: January 07, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
A little side step from my tales...

I was on last blood in Curt's hog tracking adventure, when I heard David say there he is, Cowboy had bayed him up, shortly after Curt shot... And as Terry so daftly put it the hog started "chatting" with us, and shortly after that Terry put another into him...  After I'd caught up to the action, I was on one knee just to the right of Michael (Terry's light man) and as I came to full draw and picking a spot, the hog fell over...

Michael, you're up...

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #329 on: January 07, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Before this hunt Mike Girardi sent me the knife I won in the auction for Chris. It was bigger than it looked in the picture he posted!

After I found the hog still alive I thought we were going to wait until the morning to find it... Little did I know. I had walked out the door to go to Davids truck and I turned around and picked up that knife and put it on my belt. I thought... hell it's big enough to be a pig sticker.

After we found the hog again I realized Terry and I were almost directly across from David and Curt so I was trying to get him to come back around to the side some. That is my arm in Curt's pic.

So I'm hollering at Terry to back up he's hollerin for the light and the hog is looking right at us. And she ain't happy. Terry's shot put her down but far from out.

Cowboy is all over her. I see arrows sticking out and realize he's going to get hurt. So I took out the knife walked up to the hog and buried it to the hilt right in the soft spot. One more squeal and it was over.

I start pulling arrows out of the hog and handing them to Skyler. Them we all just sat there shaking from the adrenaline.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #330 on: January 07, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Don captured some of the action!

Michael's arm, and Terry about to shoot...

Just after the hog finally fell over, and Cowboy givin' it to her(Terry's arrow, and if you look close,the Snuffer from my arrow sticking out the shoulder)...
•  

Right after Michael let her have it...
•  

It was finally over...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
WOW now thats astory great group effort.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #332 on: January 07, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
This stuff is AMAZING!!!!  Everyone on Trad Gang that is tuned into this will be super "unproductive" at our jobs today!  We all keep stopping work to check in on any new stories or pics.  LOL

This is great!!!!!    :bigsmyl:
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #333 on: January 07, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Yep....that's the way it happened.  My Zwickey went in and pegged hard, and the squealing and staggering began.  Soon as the hog fell over, I can still plainly see Michael leaping his large frame through a tiny opening and finishing him off in one smooth swift movement. .....

What a memorable adventure it was for all of us involved, and, in more ways than one.

I was really tickled that Michael got in on it with that very special knife.  That really was something for Chris' bow and that knife to be included like that.....this was only the beginning though. Chris had more planned ....that hog fight was just a warm up!!!

There would be more action with his bows, yes, bows, not just the one I was toting.  

Stay tuned.......

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #334 on: January 07, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I looked forward to this hunt from the time Terry told me I made it in the mix.

I hunted Solana last year during the rut and it was awesome and I knew it would be the same on this hunt, even though the rut was mostly over.

I arrived Tuesday night and when everyone that was gonna make it in that day arrived we all went out to dinner and had some fine eats and great conversation getting to know people we had known over the internet for years and finally I was meeting them in person. That dinner was worth the price of admission.

Wednesday came and after oreintation we were assigned our guides and hunting partners, I drew Robert whom I had hunted with the year before and my hunting partners were Jeff Berberick, Jack Guard, and Izzy. I was thrilled as Jeff and I had known each other for many years from the net and Jack and I had also known each other for a while from TG.  All three are fine hunters and archers and I totally enjoyed their company as I enjoyed the company of all the fine people on this hunt.

My first night was filled with sighting but nothing presented it self for a shot, I think I saw a total of 10 or 12 deer, a mix of small bucks and does. Unfortuneatly the feeder never went off and nothing came in.

The next morning I drew a ladder stand I had hunted the year before where I had an encounter with a flock of tom turkeys, those things are quick. I also had an encounter with a very nice buck but a sounder of hogs ran him off before I could get a shot. This year I saw zip.

That evening I was in a tripod that had never been hunted and had plenty of action, I could see deer all over in front of me but the only thing close enough to shoot at first was a button buck and then a very heavy 6 point came in and fed until dark but only offered head on or tail on shots and I will not shoot at either of those angles.

Friday morning I was in a nice ladder set up but only sited two nice bucks about 70 yards out crossing the pasture, they never looked in my direction.

That evening I was in a nice ground blind but again nothing came to play.

Saturday morning I was in a nice ladder stand way down in the back of the same pasture I hunted the first evening.  Had a spike and a three point come in a feed twice, then a nice doe with a button buck and yearling doe came in and stayed a long time, now Robert had told me not to shoot a doe unless it was nearing 09:00 as there was a nice buck that he had seen on numerous occasions heading to my stand. At 08:50 I decided to take the doe. She was quartering away with her head down and both the other deer were finaly facing away, I drew my Quest to anchor, aimed low and when it felt right I released, my arrow appeared to hit right where I wanted it too, and she was gone. I then heard her crash and was sure I had a dead deer.

I waited for robert to come get me and when I heard the truck, I got down. I looked around the point of impact and was shocked to not find any blood, I just knew the 300 extreme hit where I wanted it too. We turned Roberts dog Taz out and all of my hunting partners helped me look. Nothing, The cedar thickets had swallowed here and there was no sign and we never found my arrow, I was heartbroken, believe it or not after over 40 years of hunting with longbows and recurves this was my first time of not recovering an animal. It really devistated me.

However Izzy had a very nice 8 point on the back of the truck.

That evening I was in a box blind and really liked the set up.  Had 4 does come in and start feeding and then a very nice 10 point with chocolate horns came in. I waited until he was comfortable, head down and quarting away at 20 yards. I drew the quest and aimed low and at the release the arrow hit the clod of dirt I was aiming at but the deer was gone, he did the matrix juke. I made up my mind right then to never shoot at a quarting away animal again at Solana, even thouth I love that shot, at this ranch the animal will not be there 99.9% of the time after you release, and my Quest is quiet as a mouse and fast.

That ended my adventure as the next morning I was running a fever and not well at all so I stayed in camp.

All in all I had a fantastic time and got to meet and share camp with the finest people I know and call friends.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #335 on: January 07, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
Well, Thursday morning finally came, after having to painfully relay the story of the night before to everyone back in camp, and having the image of that arrow flying over that brute's back over and over...

I was dropped off in a different stand maybe 400 or 500 yards from where I was the night before.  Still in buck country and hopefully I hadn't blown everything out of the area after last nights experience.  This is a lot older stand and the deer know where it is even though it is hidden well...  even before the sun had come up there were deer in the area.  They came from behind me to the left and right under the stand and out to the feed.

This is a picture of literally the only shot you have in this stand. (obviously taken later in the AM).

Well, the sun started coming up, and the feeder went off... which flushed them all out of there.  Shortly after they all milled back into the feed.  I really have no idea how many there were in there, but 10 plus easily.  After about 10 minutes of them feeding I caught a glimps of antler...  a lot of antler.  He was not the same deer from the night before, but a no doubt shooter again.  He was wider, but not as tall, and even heavier than the previous, and another 9 pointer.  

He finally worked into position and was slightly quartering away facing to the left at 22 yards.  Knowing the Texas "Duck and Roll" was still in effect I concentrated under his chest by about 5" drew and shot.  Another pure arrow tracking right to where I was looking.  He dropped right into it.  The arrow struck with a loud crack and when he stood up the arrow was angling down at a 45 degree angle with what looked like 8" of penetration.

What my eye told me was the arrow struck right at the heart, and when he stood up to run the arrow was actually angling down.  I figured it had hit the off side shoulder after passing through the heart.  Now that little opening did not give me much to go on, but that is what I was able to see.  It looked really good to me at that time.  And now the wait for Robert to pick me up started.  I had several other deer work their way in, including several younger bucks.  I never even nocked another arrow, I was thinking I had a blood trail to preserve for Taz...

Robert finally showed up, and we picked everyone else up and went back to put Taz on the track.  Shortly after Robert introduced Taz to the area he let out of there on the trail.  I thought this will be a nice short trail right to him.  But, looking at the GPS with Robert he just kept going and going.  So, off we went...  200 yards... 300 yards... 400...  We came to a creek and found 5 or 6 decent sized drops of blood and Taz was searching hard to find where he had went.  Finally got accross the river and off he went again... 500 yards, 600... and he lost the track...  Even when Taz had gone all the way to the creek I knew he was not hit where my eye had told me I did...  Again, another heart breaker...

Only thing I can think of is with the slight quartering away he ducked right into the shot but the roll put it either in front of the heart into the off leg, or possibly into the near side leg.  Robert deemed him to still be walking, well Taz did...  So, as Wayne so eloquently put it, you can do everything right and still not get them on the ground.  I shot two pure arrows right where I wanted, and after these two hunts am 0 for 2...  

I was pretty low at this point, but tried to keep my spirits up.  Which is pretty easy to do with the caliber of folks in camp to help ease your pain.  Thank you everyone for being... well who you are.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #336 on: January 07, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Hearyee,Hearyee!!! Come one come all!!With the power vested in me, I officially make sunnyhillarcher an honorary jarhead!!!    :notworthy:    Thats exactly something a Marine would do.

Now that was pretty awesome guys.

Curt, congrats on some fine hog killing. I'm right with you on missing those critters as Michael can attest.
Lets hear some more.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #337 on: January 07, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Jeff, I saw you shoot that Glen Del buck and Id bet any deer other than Texas deer would of made the trip back to Oklahoma with you. Oh by the way, Robert sure has a way of easing your pain doesnt he?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #338 on: January 07, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
I love the look on Skyler's face....

"Wow......did I just see what all I thought I saw and nobody is bleeding" ????

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #339 on: January 07, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Thanks Izzy, and yes, grinding that salt in the wounds with the heel of his boot sure has a way of helping the healing process...

He did wait a couple of days before doing so though, gotta give him credit for holding off that long...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©