INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year  (Read 60569 times)

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year
« Reply #380 on: January 07, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
A tale of woe.....

Or, how I missed two hogs and a strange doe shot with chances at big bucks:

Thought I’d fit my experiences in before they get to the good stuff.

My second year at Solana and just about my 2nd year anniversary of traditional bowhunting. Drove strait through from Canton, GA to Solana Tuesday and got there about 10 P.M. to find the fellows primed and ready to go. Everyone is fast friends at Solana. It seems that the folks drawn to this mode of hunting all relate. We stayed up too late and I had to take a nap the next afternoon before the hunt as I needed every day. I couldn’t keep up and needed my sleep.

I will bypass the less eventful days except to say that what happens often there is that you have numerous opportunities to shoot does who are in easy range but there is usually a nice buck on the other side of the feeder that you are waiting on and about the time he is headed your way they all spook at a cow or a hog coming in. But the anticipation is always present. It keeps you primed.

My excitement came in a popup blind that our guide John put me in and I had a group of 4 bucks come in, a couple of nice ones. I was going to shoot any nice mature buck or mature doe if the timing was right. As they milled around I became more and more excited and had to remember to calm myself. One thing that is nice about ground blinds is that you can move around a bit and glass, if you have the lanes and I was able to see the bucks milling around about 75-100 yards out eyeballing the feeder from different angles. They did this for a few minutes and then circled around from 10 o’clock to 1 o’clock and walked in a strait line directly to the feeder.

The feeder was about 25 yards and I was only going to shoot at 15-18 max. As the bigger bucks moved around my way they jumped up looking to my right and hauled butt. A few seconds later a group of about 20 hogs came tearing in to the feeder gleefully excited about the upcoming feast. About 8 big ones and one huge tan and spotted brown sow and a bunch of football sized little ones. As a couple of 80-100 pounders came into my 14 yard feeding lane I drew back my Shrew felt it good and loosed....

And the arrow fell sadly short. The hogs scampered back about 30 yards, reconsidered their options and excitedly marched back to resume the feast.

The same hog I had shot at was back in 30 seconds and the huge sow moved up into the feeding lane. “Well, I thought, I’m not going to miss this one low”. So I rared back and let it loose and the arrow flew over the sow’s back as impotent as a twig. I can’t tell you how down I felt at this second miss.

A few hunts later we went back to the same spot in the afternoon. Had a nice doe at 4:15 and a small 8 pt. and had a good shot on the doe, Loosed and saw the lighted nock bury right in her heart. As she ran off I saw nearly 90% of the arrow sticking out of her and could not understand why. I then heard a load clack, clack as the ran by a tree hitting the arrow. Later I had a huge 8 pt and buck friends come in. After a long wait he was moving to my lane....

About that time a pack of coyotes started group howling pretty close. Got closer and closer. As the real big 8 pt. scooted broadside into my shooting lane at 16 yards I drew back real slow and as I was about to anchor the pack let loose a bloodcurdling note that caused my buck to jerk around headfirst to the sound and I never had a good look at him again.

But right as it got dark I saw some brown forms coming in. Got my glasses on  and watched that huge 8 pt. gleefully dine right at the feeder without a worry in the world. He actually had a smile on his face through the binocs as he gobbled up the rest of the corn. When the guys got there we went to look for my heart shot deer. John found the arrow sticking in the ground about 50 yards from where I had shot. A greasy white substance and some pink cartilage about 4 inches up the shaft looking stuff on the arrow. I suspect it hit her through the skin below the briskett and somehow lodged there without doing much damage. At least I hope so.

That was Saturday afternoon and I had dreams of that huge 8. I was hunting with Larry Surtees and our Cajun brothers. I talked them and our guide John into going back to the same spot because I had Primal Dreams, sorry Wensels, of that buck and they were kind enough to allow me this chance. At first light I saw brown shadows moving in and then a huge brown shadow chasing off the smaller shadows. As the large brown shadow came into focus on my binocs I saw it was the same huge 8 pt. but as the light came up my deer and the others abruptly turned and ran and a huge black boar came charging in. I had a 25 yard broadside at him but thought he would filter around eating all the corn as they are want to do but he just worked the feeder and the opposite semicircle from me and then bid me adieu! Last animal seen.

Well, second year in a row with no animals taken. But it was one of the best hunting experiences of my life. I would heartily suggest to you to get together with your traditional hunting guys and try and make this kind of hunt happen. As I think you can see from the threads it is a heck of a lot of fun! Thank you TradGang and thank you guys who were on the hunts this year and last for opening my eyes as to what this is all about. But, I will not miss next year!

« Reply #381 on: January 07, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Get 'em next year Carlton!

Bisch

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #382 on: January 07, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by BDann:
I think he's been taking posting lessons from Lamb.
Ah....being 15....school and home work get in the way!!!   :archer:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #383 on: January 07, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
This is seriously important stuff here, and it's Friday night!    :biglaugh:

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #384 on: January 07, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Where are that boy's priorities for crying out loud?    :thumbsup:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #385 on: January 07, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Where was I? Oh yeah....

The hog was in the perfect position for a shot. I picked a spot, drew back, and released...

My arrow hit toward the back of the ribcage and it looked to me like it was a gut shot. I got another arrow out of my quiver. The hog made a big loop and was headed back towards me. I suddenly remembered the story Terry had told me about putting another arrow in a hog if you could. The hog was going to run about three yards from my tripod if it stayed on the trail it was on. I drew my bow, and as soon as the hog ran into my shooting hole, I picked a spot(I think) and released..

To my complete dissmay, my arrow hit the hog right in the soft spot behind the front shoulder. I watched it run about twenty yards in the woods, then she fell over and that was the end of that.  I couldn't believe the shot I had just made! I still have no idea how I did it, and probably couldn't do it again. At dark I climbed down to go look at my hog. Apparently when I shot the first time, the hog turned a little and my arrow went right up into the sweet stuff, so the second shot was completely unnecessary  :knothead:   But I thought it was still cool!   :D  

TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #386 on: January 07, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
:clapper:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Way to go Skyler!!  :clapper:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #388 on: January 07, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Congratulations on a wonderful trip guys. Gotta love those Texas animals.

« Reply #389 on: January 07, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Nice hog Skyler!

Congrats,

Bisch

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #390 on: January 07, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Yeah Buddy! That shot was no accident.Your a natural born hunter.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #391 on: January 07, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Carlton, all I can say is your 1 shot closer to connecting. You had some tough breaks as well.I surely look forward to hunting with you again.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #392 on: January 07, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Congrats again Skyler......way to take note and apply!!!

That totaly instinctive 2nd shot is a sho-nuff confidencd builder.    :readit:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #393 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Good stuff Skylar ... good stuff !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #394 on: January 07, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
I look foreward to this thread every year, your story telling abilities are phenominal. Watching Skyler grow up on here gives me hope for our future generations of hunters.

What kind of set ups are you guys using, sounds like a camp full of killing machines?
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #395 on: January 07, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Skyler has already figured out, that a bowhunters most deadly weapon...is confidence!  :thumbsup:  

God Bless Texas!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #396 on: January 07, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
Good shootin Skyler!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #397 on: January 07, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
congrats!   :clapper:
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #398 on: January 07, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
I have shot with Skyler.  That was no accident.  He shoots as heavy a bow as the rest of us and is deadly accurate.

Way to go Skyler !!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #399 on: January 07, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
congrats sky on ya first Deer. i bet ya dont forget that one in a hurry  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©