INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year  (Read 60619 times)

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year
« Reply #400 on: January 07, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Congrats again Skyler.
Fantastic follow up shot.
Whats next?  :campfire:  
I'm waiting.............
Outstanding stories by everyone.  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #401 on: January 08, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
So at this point, its 31 Dec.  Mid day.  I have sat 4 times in 3 stands.  Have seen 6 bucks, one of them a decent 9 pointer, one button buck and 4 dinky fork horns.  I have seen 11 ish hogs, almost had a shot at a couple last evening but it just never felt right.  And i have killed one large doe, with Chris's Randy Mornin Hi-Breed.  

After our lunch break, around 2:30 ish, Jeff, Izzy, Danny and I headed out with our guide Robert.  As we were approaching our hunting areas Robert asked us if we were all here to hunt bucks.  I totally knew what he was getting at.  He said, If we wanted to hunt bucks he would put us in particular stands.  If we wanted to just shoot a doe or a hog, he would adjust our placement accordingly.  He didn't want to blow a good buck hunting area if we were going to shoot a doe or hog.  

We all basically said we were buck hunting.  Cept Izzy.  Izzy honestly answered that he was happy no matter what and was having a great time. ( On a side note, Izzy hadn't shot his buck as of this time in my story).

I was up first.  When we arrived at the stand, it was a couple of large old oaks sitting on the edge of a field.  Robert told me Jeff had killed a nice buck out of this tree a couple of years ago.  Robert gave me the low down on where the deer come from and dropped me at the tree.  Robert was kind enough to feed a little corn closer to the stand also.  

The weather was decent.  I was wearing a long sleeve capaline top, t-shirt, my Sitka kelvin vest and a long sleeve shirt over top.  I didn't think i was going to really need my Wooltimate jacket but just in case I draped it over my legs. Kinda like a lap blanket.  This gives my legs extra warmth and allows me to move my feet more freely.   One thing I have learned is that I should get everything on I need before getting settled into the stand.  By the time you sit for awhile and its gets chilly, you may have deer under you.  Its to late to add layers then.  As you have heard, these deer are wound tight.

Getting settled into the stand also meant getting my gear into a place that would not cause problems, I hung my Arrowmaster quiver to my right and my day pack was placed on the stand platform to my left.  I also drew my bow a couple of times to stretch the muscles and figure out a shooting position.  Good thing I did.  I was shooting a longbow and the bottom limb was bumping into a few little tree limbs to my lower left.  A quick prune job and I was set.  

I settled in around 3 ish and waited for the feeder to go off at 4 pm.  As you can see from the pics, the view is fairly obscured.  I sat quietly, patiently, and  most importantly motionless for the next hour.  I day dreamed of big bucks, shooting straight and my family.  When the feeder went off I was deep in thought and about jumped off the stand.  After my heart slowed down I intensified my concentration.  Anticipating the deer to arrive.  The feeders act like dinner bells in some locations and I was expecting lots of guests.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #402 on: January 08, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jack Guard:
 One thing I have learned is that I should get everything on I need before getting settled into the stand.  By the time you sit for awhile and its gets chilly, you may have deer under you.  Its to late to add layers then.  As you have heard, these deer are wound tight.

Getting settled into the stand also meant getting my gear into a place that would not cause problems, I hung my Arrowmaster quiver to my right and my day pack was placed on the stand platform to my left.  I also drew my bow a couple of times to stretch the muscles and figure out a shooting position.  Good thing I did.  I was shooting a longbow and the bottom limb was bumping into a few little tree limbs to my lower left.  A quick prune job and I was set.  
A lot of Solana knowledge in this part of Jack's post      :thumbsup:    

As far as Skyler,  he's something else isn't he      :notworthy:    

When I got his text..."I;m officially one step closer to my Solana slam!"....

A big smile creased my face, my not-so-little buddy had done it again. I can only imagine how proud Don is of him!

He's hunting-wise far beyond his years, fits right in with everyone regardless of age, is truly a phenominal archer(the boy can flat shoot), takes ribbing from all of us too well....and thru all of this, is still a very respectful 15yr. old boy.

•    

We loaded Sky's hog up and headed to camp for another wonderful meal.

As always when everyone gets together for dinner, we all ask how each other had done.

One hunter was particularly nervous about what had gone down that afternoon, and what might be out there waiting for him.

Soon you'll read a wonderful story of how some things are just "meant to be"...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #403 on: January 08, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
WOW, what a thread! I would LOVE to go there sometime. Looks like a great time had by all. Nothing like sharing camp with fellow Tradgang members and trad hunters.   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #404 on: January 08, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
Tons of fun,I love it
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #405 on: January 08, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Skyler, nice hog!  Carlton, i feel your pain. Ground blinds throw off my depth perception.  Good luck next year!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #406 on: January 08, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the read along!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #407 on: January 08, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Stay tuned folks...we are aint even half way there....there will be over 50 pages by the time we are through.   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #408 on: January 08, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Stay tuned folks...we are aint even half way there....there will be over 50 pages by the time we are through.    :readit:    :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #409 on: January 08, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
You're killing me,but I'll be waiting.  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #410 on: January 08, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
To good to be true...Outstanding.  Skyler, you are the man.  A killin" machine.  Jean-Pierre is very jealous at this moment.

God Bless,   Pierre and Jean-Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #411 on: January 08, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Everyone had their "Moments" but you really have no idea what is yet to be revealed.Not even in dreams could such a turn of events be conjured up. Lets just say I believe in miracles and magic. The crazy part is that Im referring to more than one event yet to come.   :saywhat:

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #412 on: January 08, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Keep it coming guys, I am truly enjoying all the stories. Can't stay away from the 'puter!!

Congrats to eveyone, sounds like tons of fun and memories that will last a lifetime.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #413 on: January 08, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Izzy, you're beginning to be a bit of a tease   :biglaugh:   Great story guys!  And Skyler is really someone special, you can tell by the way others are drawn to this young man.  Congratulation Dad for fostering a special bond with your son, keep it up.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #414 on: January 08, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Man this thread is killin' me!  I really need to get some stuff done but I just have to keep checking it.  Great stuff guys, keep it coming!!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #415 on: January 08, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Sky...  great stuff man...  Congrats
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #416 on: January 08, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
I was one of those snow stranded northeast boys that almost didn't make it.I had to cancel at the 11'th hour last year because of a bad slip on black ice.  :banghead:  but after a few anxious hours mother nature loosened here grip in northern CT and the airport opened.  :jumper:  

I have to agree with Curt I was one happy camper when my feet were firmly planted in TX.
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #417 on: January 08, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Larry Surtees was kind enough to pick me up at the airport.

For those of you that have never met Larry let me just state for the record that a kinder more humble man I have never met.My life is richer for the experience.Thanks again Larry  :notworthy:  

The ride to camp was full of serious talk and idol chit chat.But there was for sure an energy in that truck that was hard to explain.The next few days it would affect everyone.
Jeff Couture

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #418 on: January 08, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
Good read boys, keep it coming!!!

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #419 on: January 08, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »