INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year  (Read 60472 times)

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year
« Reply #460 on: January 09, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Since football is warm..... ya'll know what the Florida Gators and Sandcastles have in common with each other ????? well, they both do just fine till the "Tide Rolls In".. Woo Hooo !!. With that said I am a Georgis Dawg at heart and Crimson Tide second !!

:laughing:    :D    :laughing:  ,

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: January 09, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Elken, Congrats to the Seahawks on a Great game.  Although we make great SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS , we are also gracious losers as we have had much more experience at that.    :knothead:
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: January 09, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

Originally posted by COOCH:

Ken You right it's not football if it's not the SEC.
Glad we got that cleared up.....    :biglaugh:  [/b]
Two words....GO DUCKS!!!
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: January 09, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
How about them J-E-T-S!!!

OK, enough about football    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: January 09, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Redfish, I didn't realize that the Gault site was that close to Solana!  

Izzy, with the incredible number of sites and artifacts in that area, I'm surprised you didn't find enough bifaces to fill a 5 gallon bucket!  It's a lot like what Charlie Lamb says about talking pictures:  you can take photos or you can hunt, but you can't do both at the same time.  I've found the same to be true about looking for artifacts.  Turns out I'm often more interested in the artifacts.   :)

Glad you guys had a great time.  Skyler, I'm proud of you!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: January 09, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the info redfish, very interesting stuff.woody, I know what you mean. I would be content with giving up a days hunt to search out rocks.I try to do both, hunt game and stones simultaneously. It makes an expedition out of a hunt.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: January 09, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
I guess I was too focused on looking for blood when my head was down, I'm sure I had to have looked at something that resembled an artifact because we were following lots of blood trails.
  :knothead:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: January 09, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
While were waiting immpatiently I guess I'll continue.My first hunt I was covered up in deer,mostly does and small bucks.I was very content too just watch.I was just amazed at how wired these deer are.

I guess thats were the colorful discriptions about there arrow dodging abilities came about.

Lets see you got the "DUCK & ROLL" "DUCK  & SCOOT" THE LAZY J" and the mother of all moves "THE MATRIX"

So there I sat observing and trying to take it all in and pondering my decision at the moment of truth.Shoot like normal or do like Skyler did and aim for the knees.
Jeff Couture

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: January 09, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
elkken, following a blood trail is as good (or better!) than looking for danged old rocks!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: January 09, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Some pix to share before we get to the huntin' again...
 •  

•  

•  

Ol' Shep just'a gettin' it!
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: January 09, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Can't wait to hear the rest of these stories.   :campfire:    :archer2:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: January 09, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
One of the best times of the hunt at Solana...Dinner time!

Everyone gets together and we not only get to eat some fabulous food, but we get to share each others company and hear everyone's hunting stories.

As good as the hunting is, I always look forward to pick-up time because it means we get to eat, and we get to see what was brought into camp and what needs trackin'...

•  

•  

Without a doubt one of the finest gentleman I've ever had the pleasure of sharing a camp with...Mr. Larry Surtees. I sure wish I lived closer to Larry, because I'd spend an awful lot of time with him. Just like when I met Chris earlier this year, he left a lasting impression on me...  
•  

Enjoying the peach cobbler...
•  

•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: January 09, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Blue Bell homemade vanilla and peach cobbler!

MMMMMMMMMM!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: January 09, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
•  

Still plenty to share    :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: January 09, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Thats hard Curt -
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline stick-um

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: January 09, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
waiting....  tic toc tic toc ok please continue
"A successful man is the one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others have thrown at him"- D. Brinkley

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: January 09, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Guru:
•  

Still plenty to share     :knothead:
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: January 09, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: January 09, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Did someone fall on the cactus?

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Lets see here.  Where was I ?

Right.....just to recap.  31 Dec.  I settled into my stand around 3 ish and waited for the feeder to go off at 4 pm. As you can see from the pics, the view is fairly obscured. I sat quietly, patiently, and most importantly motionless for the next hour. I daydreamed of big bucks, shooting straight and my family. When the feeder went off I was deep in thought and about jumped off the stand. After my heart slowed down I intensified my concentration. Anticipating the deer to arrive. The feeders act like dinner bells in some locations and I was expecting lots of guests.

Well, the dinner guests were late.  I sat for about 30 more minutes and there was nothing.  Then suddenly I saw movement in the trees to my right where I could see some of the open field. It was two does coming into the feeder.  They feed for a couple of minutes and I kept noticing them looking over their shoulder.   It ended up being a little fork horn that hung back from the feeder until he felt comfortable.  Shortly after the fork horn arrived three more does came in.  

I sat and watch those guys eat for about 30 minutes and a little devil appeared on my shoulder.  Like I mentioned in the last post, we all agreed, in the truck before Robert dropped us off, that we were hunting bucks.  But for some reason I kept wanting to shoot another doe.  I thought " we are allowed two does on this license, I should just shoot another and get it off my mind.   What’s the harm in that, right?  Why not, I am here to have fun.  But wait....  I said I was after a good buck.  If I shoot a doe, I might ruin my chances at a buck".  

Man, this little battle started in my mind.  For 10 minutes I fought with myself.  Shoot the doe!   Don't shoot the Doe!   Back and forth.  While all of this was going on the temperature started dropping and I was getting chilly.  Ok, down right cold.  I knew I should have put on my jacket.  Now I am covered up with eyes.  There was one doe that was probably 12 or 13 yards at all times.  

So, I am shivering and having a mental battle with myself when I see some movement near the feeder.  It is annotated by the green dot.  

It’s a buck.  I see antlers.  At first the antlers look kind of big, sorta long.  But the branches of the old oak tree are deceiving my depth perception.  

Then the buck steps totally out from behind the tree.  He looks distorted, his rack is towering above his body!  His body looks so little!  It’s like someone strapped a caribou rack on his head.  Yeah yeah, I know.  I am loosing it.  He feeds closer to the right side of the feeder.  I look away, first into the trees to see if there is anything else hiding.  Then at the does that are in the area.  I move my eyes back to the buck.  Yep, he's still there and he still looks big.  My heart starts thumping more now.  I have had a minute to allow my rational judgment to take over and he still looks big.  I try to make sense of how big he is.  I start doing math.  So, a mature whitetails ears are approx 6 inches in length.  Right....OK, and the spread from ear tip to ear tip of a buck, when alert, is 14 to 15 inches.  Check !    

Good Lord, I am shivering and I think I am going to have a heart attack.  My heart is really pumping.  Heck, I even feel for my cell phone to see if I can get to it if I have a problem.

The buck feeds in a zigzag pattern in front of the feeder.  Yep, in front of the feeder, on my side.  I never have this kinda luck.  Back and forth.  First to my left, he is constantly broadside headed left, then back to the right.  Broadside.  He is probably 18 or 19 yards.  My heart is out of control.  So I try to do some logical thinking.  Don't look at his rack,  pick a spot on the ground that you will be comfortable with.  A spot that will be the one that’s says shoot.  While doing all of that I decide to make a practice draw on him.  Oh yeah, I know what your thinking.  The last time I practice drew on that doe I shot her.  But not this time.  He is a little bit too far.  I am not comfortable.  

He is feeding back towards my right, I wait till his head is down and slightly turned away and I draw.  Slow and easy I have worked my bow into position.  When I get to full draw, 54 pounds at 26 inches, something causes all of the deer to alert.  All of their heads snap up and he just happens to be looking in my direction.  I even feel like he is looking directly at me.

@#$%&  %$&#@  !!!!  Yep, you heard me !

I am holding full draw and I am shivering.  I seem to have plenty of strength but the shivering is giving me a fit.

The buck, after what seems to have been an eternity, resumes eating.  I let down the bow and come to rest it on my lap.  "Goodness, I almost blew it!".  

Most of the other deer have feed out of the way.  They are out about equal with the feeder on both sides.

The buck has been feeding to the right and when he turns to feed back to the left, he takes a few steps closer to my stand.  I can’t believe my luck.  He is now going to feed right into the spot I have decided I am comfortable with.  My concentration is on his front left leg now.  He is broadside and I am waiting for him to take a step forward with that left front leg.  He turns slightly quartering away.  All the while I have brought my bow into a shooting position and have a little tension on the string.  I find a little calm in my concentration and my heart has settled down a bit.

And it happens!

He takes that last step forward !
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©