INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year  (Read 60462 times)

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year
« Reply #500 on: January 09, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Sorry guys, I had to finish dinner, put the boys to bed, and now the wife has stolen the main computer.  I am downloading some pictures now to my laptop to try and finish up.  Oh that's funny right there, I said finish up.  It could be days before I am done.  

Larry is absolutely right.  Going on this trip was one of the most nerve-racking experiences I have ever had.  Yet the most fulfilling.  
Meeting Mr. Surtees was my main point of stress and everyone, including Larry, made me feel right at home.  I can honestly say I have made some life long friends on this trip.

You guys are cracking me up.  With your comments.  Ken is not lying about my shopping prowess.  

Ken and I had a great dinner the last night with Izzy, Stabow, Terry and Guru.  Was nice to sit with some of the guys that I didn't get to spend as much time with.  Something to note about these trips.  Take more pictures and spend more time with everyone.  I can be a quiet guy, sometimes a loner of sorts.  I wish I had spent more time with these guys.  

Larry was right on the ball about the Hi-Breed.  I brought my favorite bow with me for this trip.  It’s a three-piece takedown Cheyenne.  This is my absolute favorite bow ever.  But for some reason, on this hunt, I couldn't shoot it worth a darn.   It’s still my favorite bow.  But when I started shooting the H-Breed, Chris's bow, I was shooting much better.   As a side note.  I have been away from home for half of the year and haven't shot my bow much.  So it was worrying me that I would not respect the animals I was hunting.  I had put quite a restriction on my shooting distances.  

Back to the stand.....that buck took one last step, he was feeding, quartering away, when his left front leg stepped forward.  I thought, "This is it!"  

To give you guys an idea of timing.  At this point, I had been watching this buck for 20 or 30 minutes.  

Racing through my mind was quite a lot of thoughts.  I have been living outside of the US for almost 5 years.  I have hunted very little with my bow.  What I have hunted with my bow has all been due to TradGang and its members.  The places I have been, TradGang related, the bow I was shooting...TradGang related, heck even the outerwear I had on, was because of a thread I read in TradGang.  Lots of things were related to the site.  

Fortunately I was not really nervous or worried at this point.  Just watching re-runs of my hunting and how it all relates.  

With all those thoughts going through my head you would think I couldn't really concentrate on the task at hand but it was foremost in my mind.  I was thinking, quartering away, left leg forward and shoot low.  You have read the stories by now.  Some guys have even shot as low as the deer’s knee to make a center lung shot on these Texas hi tension spring loaded duck and rolling deer.

Here is the same picture you all have seen over and over.  The bummer is that I only have three pictures of that stand.  At least I took some, I keep telling myself.  But this time I have hired an expert forensics artist to draw where the deer entered the scene (RED dot) and where he was standing at the shot.    

I came to full draw and concentrated on a spot just below the brisket.  The arrow was off and everything went into slow motion.  It seems to enter the buck low.  The buck lunged forward and I saw the arrow going into him, low, in the brisket, the leg looked involved, but I could not tell where.  I heard a loud pop and saw the back end of my arrow flip up into the air.  The buck ran straight away across a small field and into some big woods.  His body language was such that he looked hit, ran with a purpose, but not strong, his tail was down.  He didn't kick or have a hunched back.  

I managed to tie my bow and quiver onto the safety rope and lower it to the ground.  I unbuckled my safety harness and climbed down.  When I got to the bottom I could barely walk to the shot location.  My knees were quivering and my hands were shaking and all I could hear was my heartbeat in my ears.

I found the back half of the arrow.  Snapped perfectly in two.  It was a terminator arrow I bought with the intentions of making into a stumpin arrow.  I had read a thread by Guru, and it caused me to go to Wally World and I happened into a sale.  I bought 6 Carbon Express Terminators 4560's.  Then after a thread on footing carbons I found the video by friends call me pac.  I footed these shafts by following his direction.  

After finding the back half of the arrow I took about 5 more steps in the direction of the bucks retreat and I found the front portion.  It had blood on it for about 6 or 8 inches.  Well, at least that's what I saw at that time.   I took a few more steps but found no blood.  After a few seconds of thought I reluctantly made my way back to the stand and climbed back in to my perch.  Heck I even knocked an arrow and thought, " What the heck, I could try for a doe or a pig if one came in.  I still have 30 or 45 minutes of light left".

What the heck was I thinking?  Am I stupid or something?  All I need to do is shoot a doe or a hog and have another blood track on the ground to throw off the dog.  Heck, that is Texas Whitetail Bow hunting 101.  I didn't want to mess up this tracking job at all.  

So, I put my arrow back into my quiver and sat.  For what was quite possible the longest evening of my life.

After the sun was totally behind the trees and there was no more light I packed up and climbed down out of the stand.  When Robert arrived I stayed fairly calm and replayed the nights events to Robert.  We both knew what we had to do.  We moved on to pick up the rest of the hunters, Izzy, Jeff and Danny and made our way back to the ranch house for dinner.  

It made for a very long couple of hours.  The short ride back to the house and all during dinner I couldn't help but worry.  The shot just seemed low.  But there was good blood on the arrow.  I retold the story lots of times at dinner and had a lot or reassuring comments by the gang.  But you guys know how it goes.  You still have a funny feeling in your stomach.  Although, I have to admit.  I still chowed down on Jim's awesome tacos.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #501 on: January 09, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I hope that picture is drawn to scale.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #502 on: January 09, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
It is drawn to scale.   :bigsmyl:

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #503 on: January 09, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
He said he hired a pro to draw it Gregg.......Scale!
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #504 on: January 09, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Come on Jack! Let out the good news that y'all found him and lets see the pics!

Bisch

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #505 on: January 09, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
:readit:  Bookmarking this spot.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #506 on: January 09, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Thought I would take a break and talk about one of my hunting partners for the trip.  

Check out these pics.  Izzy is one fine shooting Longbowman.  And deadly too !

What a pleasure to be around.  

Robert and Jeff take photos.  Making Izzy work for it.  
         Izzy, Robert and Tazz, the amazing blood tracking dog.

TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #507 on: January 09, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
My appologies Curt ... I'm old and my memory is not so good.

:o
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #508 on: January 09, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
You aren't right Jack. Making us wait around like this.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #509 on: January 09, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
:coffee:  I got lots of this...take your time. Great story telling and photos guys. I am loving this thread!
Mike Davenport

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #510 on: January 09, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Izzy will always have a warm place at my fire. I was fortunate to hunt with him in NY, at the famous Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt. Sometime after the hunt, I received a parcel from him. He had made a Euro mount of my first rabbit kill. It looks down at me benignly as I type. Actually, it grins like a mule eating thistles. He put a knapped arrowhead beneath the skull, with the legend: J.L.M.B.H.

Now, after this bit of background, enough break! GIVE!

Killdeer   :coffee:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #511 on: January 10, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
Hey Kathy, when you go over there in about four hours and beat on Jack's door to get the rest of the story please post it for us too...  

Thanks  ;)
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #512 on: January 10, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
Since Jack Lamp seems to have forgottin about us again I guess I'll throw somthing out there.As it the sun was falling behind my live oak tree the unmistakable racket made by a sounder of hogs came from the east.I knew they were right on top of Ken,we were only a few hundred yards apart,I was hoping he would get a shot.

As the light was slowly fading the sounder was getting closer so I readied my hog arrow just in time to see the sounder break out off the cedars 50 yds behind me.I knew it be a fast shot before they got to the corn due to the wind.Well the leader was coming directly toward the bas off my tree and turned to circle the corn at 10ish yds.About that time the wind faltered and they exploded out of there faster than I can type this.  :banghead:    :banghead:
Jeff Couture

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #513 on: January 10, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Now I have to go to work and wait till late tonite to find out the end of another great story.   :knothead:

« Reply #514 on: January 10, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Well, I'm headed to the woods for the next three days and won't have internet service. It's the last hurrah in the deer woods for this season (wish me luck). So, I guess I will have a lot of catching up to do when I get back home. This thread is just like a book that you can't put down. Looking forward to the reat of the stories.

Bisch

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #515 on: January 10, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Good luck Bisch! Youve been pretty deadly up to this point. Im gonna see if I can convince you to trade a hunt for 180 lb 60" bucks for one of those bony bodied monster racks like yours. You wont have to feed me, Ill live off of bugs, bunnies and prickly pear.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #516 on: January 10, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
When I sat down next to Jack for dinner, it wasn't hard to tell he was uneasy about something.

When I asked how he'd done he nervously told me how everything unfolded, and about his impression of the shot.

He was confident, but as anyone who's "been there", there's always some doubt until you have your hands on what you shoot.

After Jack finishes, I'll add a couple more thoughts from that night...

Hang on tight...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #517 on: January 10, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
map questing Ashburn now... Killie I will meet you there....    :jumper:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #518 on: January 10, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
It just doesn't get much better than this. Great stuff on this cold morning, warm a guy right up  :)

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #519 on: January 10, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
:campfire:    You're killin' me Jack!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©