INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year  (Read 60433 times)

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year
« Reply #540 on: January 10, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
:jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:  Man this is exciting!! I really feel like I was there with ya'll when I'm reading this!   Let's hear some more!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #541 on: January 10, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Awesome, now we're waitin' on a deer AND a hog story........  :knothead:    :knothead:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #542 on: January 10, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
SO the hog is just standing there with a arrow in his head lookng at you? Thats not good!

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #543 on: January 10, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I am working on the next part of the story now.  Just put the kids to bed and am downloading pictures as i type this.  Hang on fellas !!!!

Meanwhile....those hogs are tearing up the rest of the gang.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #544 on: January 10, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Here we go!!!!  :)
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #545 on: January 10, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
i'm thinking this is gonna end with some blood on the ground but i ain't say'n who's.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #546 on: January 10, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
LOOK Close.....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #547 on: January 10, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
As good as Jim's tacos were I really didn't eat much and scarfed down what I did eat in a matter of minutes.  I told my story several times.  Curt's response was one of the most reassuring.  More on that from him later.

I barely put my plate away and was finishing up my glass of sweet tea when Robert said " You Ready".  It was all I could do not to shout "Hell Yeah !"   But i just nodded my head yes.  

Skyler came along with us and another hunter.  OK, so i have to admit.  I cant remember who else was there.  Thats bad but i think my mind was somewhere else.  

We piled into the truck and made our way to the stand site.  Upon arrival I asked Robert if he wanted me to show him where and how it all went down.  We walked to the spot the deer was standing and then i walked him over to show him the two half's of the arrow that i left in place.

We talked a little and then he went and took Taz out of the dog box.  Robert has a GPS dog tracking collar with a hand held receiver.   He synchronizes the collar to the hand receiver and puts the collar on Taz.     He then keeps Taz on a lead and walks him to the area where i shot the buck and then over to the two pieces of arrow on the ground.  

He is talking to Taz, i seem to remember his words as "DEAD" ...."DEAD"....... and lets him off the lead.   Now Taz comes by his name honestly.  He takes off running.  Interestingly he runs directly in the path I described the buck taking.  

Simultaneously Roberts second dog, still in the dog box on the truck, is howling and carrying on.  Robert is watching the receiver and is talking out loud.  " Oh i like to see that !"  he says.  Taz runs a straight line and then a little jog to the left and a straight line again.  He says, " its just like you described!"

Back to Roberts second dog.....she is howling up a storm.  We are about 80 yards from her and she doesn't like to be alone.   Robert asks Skyler to go back and stand with the truck to quiet the other dog.  Man, i am feeling bad for Skyler, its like he has been left out.   After about 30 seconds more, Robert says he is going to go follow up Taz on his own, alone.  What  da ???  Without me....you mean i have to stay back too.  Maaaaaann !!!  I am kicking the ground like a scolded kid.

Well, by now i understand Robert and his dog a lot more.  The idea is to not pressure Taz.  Just Robert following Taz is much less pressure on Taz.  I walk back to the truck following Skyler  and wait.  

And Wait.... and wait...  wait a little longer.  Really its only been 3 or 4 minutes.  But they were long minutes.  I hear Robert give a Cowboy style holler.   I can tell by the tone its a good thing.  Its positive.  My face flushes and my heart starts thumping again.   I say to Skyler  "thats it, he has found the deer "   and under my breath i whisper "i hope".  

We both take off at a fast walk and along the walk Robert shouts out again.  following his voice we go through some big woods and then veer left into so thick cedars, then into an open area with lots of prickly pear cactus.  Thats where we meet up with Robert.  He is reciting over and over..."Now i haven't touched your deer...he's right up this way...don't touch Taz, i will pull him off and you can go to him".    I am not saying much... that I can  remember.  i have to low crawl through some more tangled cedars and then my light comes upon Taz and my deer.  I cant really make out much at the time.  Robert is pulling Taz off of the deer and still saying..." Now i haven't touched your deer !"

There is a lot of rational behind one of Roberts comments.  We see eye to eye on this topic.  He says..."that deer has spent its entire life never being touched by man...i feel as though the first person to touch him should be the man who has taken his life !"

This a statement that will stay strong in my memory !

When my light finally illuminates the Buck he is exactly as  I remembered.  

A flood of emotions are about to erupt.  I am speechless.  Many will not believe that.  Those that know I like to talk.  

I was given this hunt...by a very generous man, to take Chris Surtees's spot.  I have killed a doe and a buck with Chris's Randy Morin Hi-Breed.   I have meet, bonded and made friends with new TradGang members.  Members who have shared memories of Chris.

Thank goodness Skyler remembered to bring his camera on the recovery........   Thanks Sky....you da man !

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #548 on: January 10, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
See Michael's first arrow?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #549 on: January 10, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
That will get your heart going..Thanks for the pic.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #550 on: January 10, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
The pic of him lying flat out doesn't do him justice.  Here are a few more where we found him.  

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #551 on: January 10, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Jack, that is as good as a pic can get...Congratulations again Buddy
I believe you had a friend along on that hunt....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #552 on: January 10, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
I was only 7-8 yds from the hog as I flanked left and was about to tell Michael I thought I had an opening when I see him stating to draw...then shoot!

Now I'm watching the hog the whole time, he's right next to me, and when he shoots I hear this sound of a baseball bat hitting a telephone pole!

Out of the periferal, see Michaels arrow.... from what I can tell because of the thickness of the cedars....sticking out of a cedar tree...I thought, "dang it he missed!"   (or so I thought)

I mean he never blinked.flinched, nothing!!  Nothing to lead me to think that Michael's arrow had connected...

So now I just take what opening I had and zipped a big Snuffer 160 thru his mid section at about 7yds...

Then it happened!   Something I wasn't even thinking about when I waded into the Terry dubbed, "hog Fight".......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #553 on: January 10, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Jack, the memories are just flooding back.The pics are just too much, still an unbelievable set of circumstances.I am honored to have just been in the truck with you on that night.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #554 on: January 10, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Jack....that's a great buck!  High, Wide, and Heavy.  So now....what did the carcass reveal about your shot?

Great hunt and great thread y'all.....moves slower than peanut butter flowin' up a wall....but great thread & stories nonetheless.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #555 on: January 10, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!  What a buck Jack!  That's a beautiful animal and a great story!  Congrats to you.  You spoke just perfectly of the circumstances and I think you definately had some "help" with that one!  Awesome stuff right there!!!!!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #556 on: January 10, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Great buck Jack  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #557 on: January 10, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Congrats Jack, that is a Hoss of a buck!!!

Let's hear more about that unicorn hog!

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #558 on: January 10, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Magnificent animal,congrat's.  :clapper:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #559 on: January 10, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Congrats again buddy...not a more deserving hunter of such a magnificent buck...everything happened for all the right reasons...

This is the only pic I have of Jack's buck...

•  

You can also see a where the hit was and when Jack describes what the arrow did, it will be easier to understand.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©