INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year  (Read 60414 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year
« Reply #580 on: January 10, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Congrats again Jack.....for your very special hunt with Chris and his bow......

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #581 on: January 10, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
i never hunted hogs so are these texas hogs freakishly that tough or are most hogs like this?   :scared:
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #582 on: January 10, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #583 on: January 10, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Awesome buck Jack!!! Congrats
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #584 on: January 10, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
You don't want to be a hog with Michael, Curt, and Terry on your trail. It's like bring'n a knife to a gun fight ...  :deadhorse:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #585 on: January 10, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
If you look close at the pic of hog with 3 arrows, you can see the broken off arrow in forehead,,,
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #586 on: January 10, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by DW:
If you look close at the pic of hog with 3 arrows, you can see the broken off arrow in forehead,,,
Okay so I'm not crazy!  I kept looking trying to figure it out.  

That is an incredible hog story!!  Good shootin' Terry!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #587 on: January 10, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
How do you follow "class acts like all these"?  My story doesn't even come close, but knowing that Chris was there and lived through the "mad pigs" adventures and was there for Izzy's and Jack's bucks was enough for me!

My story is like the others.  I saw a lot of deer, and had a close encounter with a group of turkeys.  Most of my deer sightings were does and smaller bucks.  I did see 3 real nice 8 pointers or better that just didn't give me a shot opportunity.  After my third hunt, I decided that the next doe I had in my shooting range, I'd let an arrow go.  It was Friday morning, and I'd just been let off at my stand when I hear crunching going on to my left and right.  It is too dark to make out anything.  Then I hear crunching right under me.  I waited patiently for enough light to try and make out what is all around me.  Finally, I can make out that there are at least 6 deer within shooting range.  I just couldn't make out any horns.  As the minutes ticked away, I can see a very nice buck moving forward in front of me at about 16 yards or so.  At last enough light to actually make out a nice 7 point.  He was just too far out for me, but then he started moving toward me.  At about 18 yards he finally gives me a quartering away shot.  He didn't duck the arrow, but he did roll left.  I knew I had hit him, but it was lower than I wanted.  When John arrived, he had Wayne, Tommy, and Carlton with him.  I showed them where he had exited, and about 40 yards later, we found blood.  We tracked the blood for another 40 or so yards and no more blood.  We went back to camp and after breakfast Robert put Taz on the blood, but he didn't come up with anything.  Carlton mentioned the next day that he had seen a 7 point that had blood on the back side of his shoulder and another patch of blood on his front side.  It must have been my deer.  I felt good that he appeared to be okay and was walking without a limp.  The arrow must have just went under the skin and exited --  hoping he will live to be a finer buck next season.

The same evening, John asked if I wanted to try and Tripod stand.  I was up for anything.  As the truck drove off, I made my way up to the seat with no problem.  I'm glad no one was around to witness a fat, old man trying to work his body into that seat.  Lucky, I was the first to be dropped off because it probably took me longer to get into position than the last guy dropped off.  I was no sooner settled when 4 does came in.  I waited until I had a good broadside shot on the 2nd largest old girl.  My arrow hit a little high as she ducked a bit.  But as she hauled out of there, I could only see my fletchings sticking out.  My next problem was trying to get out of the seat and turned around.  But after a few twists and turns, I got the old body down.  We found good blood right at the impact point, and Stubby tracked her down with no problem.  In my haste to pack, I left my camera behind -- no pics.  

My last morning hunt had does and small bucks in and out all morning.  I knew that my hunt would be ending within the next 30 or so minutes, and I had a doe about 20 yards quartering away.  I let an arrow go, and it flew perfectly, but she ducked and rolled.  I couldn't believe that with the blood trail that we found, it ended with no sign of the deer.    

It was my pleasure to be with some of the finest TGers around on this trip.  But my most memorable moments were early Saturday afternoon.  I'll let some of the others comment as the entire group had a hand in this.  Thank you guys!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #588 on: January 10, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Wow what a hunt congrats to all.Looks like a great time.  :clapper:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #589 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
It is reluctantly that I have to admit the story was worth the wait! That is one handsome buck deer. And charging hogs... man I want Terry standing shotgun when I run - though I would surely scream like a first grader as I went by.

Tell me there's more still.... please.

Online stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #590 on: January 11, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
:campfire:  Thank you guys for taking us along!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #591 on: January 11, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #592 on: January 11, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Jack,
Just Awesome.........The whole hunt. Meeting Larry, hunting with Chris's bow and having Chris right there with you. Two Beautiful deer and the greatest group of friends.

Jack, you are a blessed man........As are the men who got to hunt with you.

Thank you all for sharing  :campfire:
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #593 on: January 11, 2011, 02:52:00 AM »
Those are awesome stories. Thank you all. The pics are priceless. The video of Skyler's recovery was icing on the cake!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #594 on: January 11, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »
Awesome deer Jack!  
Thanks for taking us along with you guys with the stories and pictures!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #595 on: January 11, 2011, 06:24:00 AM »
Let me just back up a bit....Michael had told us he shot "about 90# boar hog"...

....Well, what I saw waiting for us in that thicket wasn't no 90# hog!  

Either I'm way off on what I thought a hog that size looks like, or he just looked a lot bigger being so close to him on the ground...but this hog looked WAY BIGGER!

....The Snuffer disappeared thru his size, and he instantly turned toward me and here he come!!!

Now remember, Michael had just tried to pole axe him by burying a broadhead in his skull and he didn't twitch,I mean he didn't even blink! But at this point I still thought Michael had missed(I should have known better!)I guess my arrow was just enough to tick him off after Michael's shot.

So here I am, after just shooting this hog only 6-7 yds. away and now he's coming at me with bad intentions!

I knew I didn't have time to knock another arrow. In a split second decision, I knew my only option was retreat!

Thank goodness I had found this little ally way when I went in. Because had I not had it, we'd have been fightin'!

I turned and took off looking back and watching to see where he was...

Cowboy came right out after him and with his harassment, got him to stop his charge after he got into the opening!

Without realizing it, because I was looking both forward and back at the hog as I retreated, I'd run right past Don as he was snapping pictures, and Terry had showed up.

When the hog stopped I did too and quickly nocked another arrow and was drawing to shoot again when I saw the chartruse streak of Terry's arrow and the big boar dropped like a stone!

I was already at full draw so I just let it go anyway even though it was unneccessary.

Ya wanna talk about adrenaline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #596 on: January 11, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
It wasn't till the hog was dead and everyone started breathing again did I hear something about Michael's head shot...I was like "what head shot, didn't you hit that cedar tree?"

I guess I was the only one that didn't know his shot had connected, and he had completely buried a VPA into the skull of that ticked off boar hog!

It still blows me away, the sound of that arrow striking was incredible!  I'd have sworn he hit that cedar!

It would have been over with Michael's shot had his arrow struck just a couple inches lower. But he'd hit him at the very top of his skull, the thickest part, and at an angle that it never touched the brain.

Like I said my arrow had zipped thru his mid-section as this was the only shot I had and we needed to get another arrow into him.

Terry's finisher, after the boar stopped his charge, had slid right past his cheek, thru the lower part of his ear and buried into his spine  behind his skull....KO'd!!!

My last arrow had found the spine as well.
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #597 on: January 11, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
I have a bunch of great pix, but don't want to post them till I get the OK....

Poor Skyler missed it all!

He was the last to be picked up that morning...when we got to Michael, we were only gonna look for a few minutes then go get Sky and come back.

Well we ended up looking for a little longer and when we were about to quit, Cowboy struck gold and bailed over the edge of that cedar break....you know the rest....

Sky did get a much needed nap though    :biglaugh:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #598 on: January 11, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
That hog looks like a pin cushion!    :biglaugh:    :archer2:
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #599 on: January 11, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
WOW!  Congrats Jack what a special moment.  The stories and pics are some of the finest I've read.  Thank you all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©