INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year  (Read 60224 times)

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year
« Reply #680 on: January 12, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
I will also at 2 est be outside in silence with thoughts of Chris, Larry and all the family. May God bless and comfort you all.

Lanier
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #681 on: January 12, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
thats a great Buck Jack! congrats
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #682 on: January 12, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Praise God for GOOD MEN, BROTHERS....

Terry, I did know him but what you guys have done is awesome.  Speaks volumes, over what any words could put together.  This place is more than a web site...its like home.  Thanks for a great place to hang out.

:campfire:
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline dbishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #683 on: January 12, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
If I said that while reading these posts I didn't have a tear in my eye, I would be a liar.

I didn't know Chris at all(or any other of the tradgangers til Friday the 31st),but to hear of all the people who's lives he touched he must have been a hell of a person.  Larry, it was a pleasure to meet you. You and all the other tradgangers I met that Friday will always have a place at my campfire.  Reading the previous posts made me feel like I was there for the ceremony. I wish I would have been there.

Great job guys.

Dave

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #684 on: January 12, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Let's all take a moment at 2:00 eastern to be with Surtees in spirit and prayer. Great idea Whip!

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #685 on: January 12, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Larry,

Myself and my class of students will say the pledge at 2 in Chris's honor.

Thank you for allowing us to share in this hunt with you.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #686 on: January 12, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
2:oo pm EST.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #687 on: January 12, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
I was there at the ceremony and I had tears in my eyes there and rereading through these posts brings me back too tears again.

Having never met Chris before this hunt and ending it with him permanently leaving a mark on my sole speaks volumes of the man he was and the people he affected.This hunt has truely changed me.Thank you Larry for allowing use to be there for such a personal moment.There was no doubt that Chris's spirit was emparted to all of us present.

I think Curt and Izzy summed up and articulated how I feel better than I can with the written word.

At 1400 hours I too will be standing with my brothers.
Jeff Couture

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #688 on: January 12, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
What an awesome hunt. I was gone for a few days and had to catch up here. Chris was there and proud to be there no doubt.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #689 on: January 12, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Great post. Thanks for sharing. God Bless Larry,  his family, and  each of you who shared this experience.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #690 on: January 12, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
What a great thread! Shows that even in time of grief one must never forget he always have friends to turn to. Prayers will be sent a 2 today, for the family of Mr. Surtees, and in thanks for the many lives he touched.

A true testiment to the character of TG members. You guys are awesome.
God bless you all,
Dalton
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #691 on: January 12, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing this powerful experience. I can't call it a hunt because that is only a portion of what happened here. I never met Chris but get a sence of what he meant to many of you. You have paid him a fine tribute.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #692 on: January 12, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
This has been a gathering for the ages!  Knife-stuck and pin cushion porcines, Izzy's and Jack's great bucks, Skyler the "dead eye" and memories to last a lifetime.  This gathering was definitely more than a hunt....it was a celebration of Chris's life.  Thanks for taking us along.

Most of all, I know Chris was smiling.

Just before 2:00, I walked outside to spend some silent time to honor Chris.  It's still snowing a bit here, but, as I looked out over the Hudson River, 5 bald eagles were soaring over the water and the sun was peaking out from the storm clouds.  It put my heart at ease, as I know that this gang of brothers and sisters will never let the memory fade.

God Speed Chris.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #693 on: January 12, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Sounds like a truly awesome experience. I never know or met Chris but just seeing the outpouring of love from so many shows what kind of man I am sure he was. I am almost brought to tears from the emotion just reading this story. For those of you who were a part of this, I can only imagine how you must be affected.

I am saddened at the great loss for Chris's family, but I am truly inspired by the actions of those involved with this hunt.

God bless you all.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #694 on: January 12, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
God bless and amen!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #695 on: January 12, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
We were let off work early today.  I knew I had a 45 minute drive and it was noon.  Was home at 12:45CST....armguard/glove on, pocket quiver in, bow in hand standing in front of my target at 1pm to observe a moment of silence and a 21 arrow set immediately after.  

This for someone I never knew, but through association with the great membership of this site, and the fact that he was a soldier, felt in my heart it was my duty to honor his passing.

RIP Chris Surtee's and prayers and best wishes to your family.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #696 on: January 12, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Outstanding, guys.  Touched on so many levels.  This thread is what it's all about.    :thumbsup:  

Mr Guard,

The new eye looks great.  Glad they had a new one in your color but too bad not your size.    :biglaugh:  

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #697 on: January 12, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Guess what folks! It aint over yet, theres still more carefully orchestrated Lambing before this thread concludes.   :readit:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #698 on: January 12, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
....After Chris' memorial, it was back to camp to prepare for the afternoon hunt...our last afternoon of the trip.  It was winding down, which always starts to weigh heavy on me...we weren't done yet....but we were getting close, and this had been such an incredible experience.

Michael settling into a tri-pod "death trap"...
•      

I was set in a stand I'd hunted my first year at Solana('07). It's a great stand, but not for faint of heart at about 25', and you have to be pretty agile to get up in it. Getting down in the dark is even a bit trickier!

First visitor was a doe that skirted the set-up. The next was a nice young buck...
•      
•      

He skirted the set-up as well. I'm almost positive it was the same buck both Skyler and I had seen a couple days earlier in different spots.

About 45 minutes before it would be too dark to shoot, I heard something approaching. I looked down and slightly to my left just as a nice mature doe was coming out of the thicket in front of me. Then I saw another doe behind her.

The lead doe cautiosly came right in and started to feed, the other wanted no part of the set-up, and moved off.

Now I had in front of me, only the second doe of the trip close enough to shoot.  The first one got a free pass on the first morning. As cool as it would have been to "double" with Skyler, and he wanted me to shoot her(we were texting). It was going to be all about him that morning....so I passed.

But now it was the last evening hunt, we only had tomorrow morning and the hunt would be over.

So, I decided that I'd let this ol gal feed around for a while to see what else showed up. I really wanted a buck, so I didn't want to mess things up if something was close, and coming in...so I held off...

Time passed and it was getting darker by the minute. The wind had laid down and it was amazingly quiet. I held still and just watched this doe feed not 12 yds away, dead broadside.

But I still held off...hoping for a nice buck...and fully expecting hogs to show up as well.

But nothing else showed.

Just as I was thinking it was time to shoot this doe that had given me every opportunity to kill her and was about to stand up to shoot....she threw her head up and took off!

I had no idea why!  But I was hoping that she heard or saw something that I couldn't that may have been coming in. But nothing...

It was now down to the last morning...

I posted these earlier, but these pix are from Saturday night...STEAK NIGHT!!!!!
•      

•      

•      

•      

•      

I had sat down next to Larry to eat and hear about his evening hunt. I found myself seeking out Larry a lot on this hunt, he's that kind of guy. The kind of fella that is just enjoyable to be around.

After dinner and peach cobbler dessert, he walked over to me with two old photo albums and asked if I'd like to see some pictures.  

They were mostly old pictures of him and Chris hunting together, and some of Chris' military pix.

These pix sure made Larry smile a lot. That was great to see.  

But some of them made him shake his head, it was also easy to tell that these were the one's that really hit home.

He was awful proud of all Chris had accomplished both hunting, and in the military.

Larry is a very special man...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #699 on: January 12, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Feels good to be able to "chat" with you fellas here if only online.I feel like I know most of ya personally and its a Blessing. The things you have done on this trip shows Character and you fellers are top notch in my book. God Bless you all.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©