INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year  (Read 60209 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana Ranch -What a ride into the New Year
« Reply #700 on: January 12, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
What a special hunt for you guys.  Congrats to everyone that was involved and thanks for showing Larry how you felt about his son.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #701 on: January 12, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
You know Terry, it really hit home when you started talking about pictures.  I've been involved with some old picture viewing here as well.  What a great way to remember, honor and celebrate.

Sounds like Chris has touched many lives directly and indirectly!   :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #702 on: January 12, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Curt,

You guys have told us how those critters are wired tight but that little buck looks like someone has hooked him up to a 12 kilovolt line!    :scared:  
Man he is alert looking at that posture.

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #703 on: January 12, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Alright Sunny,you have held out long enough. Lets hear about you and that tripod stand your in. I see those beedie eyes peeking over those conifers. Story telling time.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #704 on: January 12, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
As we speak.......success stories are still unfolding.....unbeknown to a certain hunter....

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #705 on: January 13, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »
I'm right with Curt in the fact that I don't deal with loss well.  Plus, watching friends in pain is very difficult for me...  I met Larry and Chris last year on this very same hunt.  I'd known them both from this site, and in short order it was like we had known each other for years.  I loved watching them both together, they were very close.  The kind of close I wish I could have with my father.  But, that is not to be and is a whole other story that I won't get into...

The ceremony at the ranch was very difficult for myself, and I can only imagine what Larry was going through.  Thank you Terry for keeping yourself together and working through the ceremony as well as you did, I know it had to be difficult.  

In some small way I hope we helped Larry with easing his pain, and working through the grieving process.  Chris will never be forgotten, as he touched so many lives by just being himself.  Safe travels my friend, and keep the wind in your face.

Larry, I sure hope you are dealing with everything as well as it looked like you were dealing with everything most of the time.  I did catch glimpses of the pain several times while we talked and I just wish I could just snatch it away from you.  And as I've told you before, if you need anything, please let me know.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #706 on: January 13, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
As we speak.......success stories are still unfolding.....unbeknown to a certain hunter....

;)
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline E.AllenIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #707 on: January 13, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Keep the stories coming...i look forward to reading these stories every morning!!!!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #708 on: January 13, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:

Originally posted by Terry Green:

;)  [/b]
Hmmmmm? What do you guys have up your sleeve?
  :dunno:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #709 on: January 13, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
Alright Sunny,you have held out long enough. Lets hear about you and that tripod stand your in. I see those beedie eyes peeking over those conifers. Story telling time.
Rizzy if I told what really happened in that stand 98% of y'all would call BS.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #710 on: January 13, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I think you should tell him Michael    :scared:    ;)  

I have a little story to tell of my hunt on the last morning...
•  

More later    :jumper:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #711 on: January 13, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Try us !!!!!  ;)
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #712 on: January 13, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
I haven't heard either one of these stories, I'm in!!!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #713 on: January 13, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I pretty much had to hunker down in that hole in the cedars. I put a full facemask on and went into hibernation mode. My only movement was my eyes.

Actually I don't know why I was looking. I have learned long ago that I always hear them before I see them.

Well I heard them coming alright. It sounded like a herd was vacuuming up the corn!!!

The first doe stepped into my peripheral vision. I had decided that if given an opportunity early at a doe I would take it.

Before I tried to move I swallowed hard..... The crazy, psychotic, radar hearing biddies hauled @$#.

I was absolutely dumbfounded.

But it was early..........
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #714 on: January 13, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
The last hunt of this trip was here...

Sunday morning is always a tuff one for me...I hate that it's the last hunt and I'll be saying goodbye to friends old and new...

But on the other hand I know in day or so, I'll be home with my family.

Terry wanted another try at the stand that he'd seen a real nice 10pt out of the first afternoon.

So it was dicided that I'd hunt " The Killing Tree"...a first for me...it's hallowed ground on the ranch...it's got that name for a reason. I know Terry has killed at least 2 bucks, a wide 8 and a beautiful big 10pt, out of it.

It's a place that they just corn the road, there is no feeder.

This last morning was the coldest of the trip, in the twenties I believe. But being from NY, and working outside, I was just fine with it.

I climbed up and settled in. terry had given me some tips about the stand, but since I'm left handed, i pretty much had to figure it out for myself when I got up there. It's a ritual I'm used to when hunting stands that I don't set myself.

In the dark, I determined I'd shoot standing up(I know Terry prefers to shoot sitting from this set-up). So I screwed in one of my little bow holders up high on a branch. I'd want my bow close when the deer showed. I also like to have it as close to shooting position as possible so I can keep my hands in my pocket as long as possible to keep them warm...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #715 on: January 13, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #716 on: January 13, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #717 on: January 13, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I sat for a half hour or so till it was light enough to shoot.  

It was a beautiful morning.  Just a slight breeze, and clear.

The first deer I saw was a doe cruising by about 100yds away...I stayed sitting...

Then a couple minutes later, and in the same opening the doe had appeared, a beautiful buck was cruising by at the same distance. He looked to have at least 4 long points on his left side, but his right side looked as though he'd broke off every point he had. Leaving just his main beam.  He had no intention of coming my way, and quickly disappeared...I stayed sitting in the comfy swivel chair...

Soon off to my right, downhill, I saw a deer appear in the two track. This was another doe and it was easy to tell that she was coming up the two-track for a bite.

Then behind her was another doe, and then at least two more...now I stood up!

Since this was the last day, I had all intention of shooting the first doe that gave me an opportunity as long as a good buck wasn't around.

They were coming slow, but steady and were about 50yds away when the next deer showed up...and he changed my intentions!

As soon as I saw him, I knew he was a mature deer. A closer look thru my Leica's cemented my intial thoughts.  

He had a big body, wide head, and heavy eyelids...he dwarfed the does that walked in front of him.

His antlers were of good width, good bases and heavy, long beams. As a matter of fact, it looked like they came very close to crossing in the front.

But here's the strange part...he was a six point!  Through bino's I could see where it looked as though at one time, he had broken a seventh point off.

I knew he was without a doubt a mature buck, so weather he's a 12pt or a 6, he was what I was after...and the last morning is no time to be picky!

Now I prayed the breeze would hold, and he would follow the does that were now almost within range...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #718 on: January 13, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
The two-track the deer appeared on and follwed in to me...
•  

Fast forward 10minutes or so...."Cy" is now gripped firmly in my right hand...

A small spike showed up at the rear of the pack.

Now I had a doe right under me feeding, and the Big 6 was close enough to shoot. But, because of the way the branches grow on the huge oak tree, there are only small "holes" to shoot thru.

Every time this buck would get close to this one opening he would hang up...it was like he knew...

Time after time he fed up and around this shooting hole, but time after time he would skirt around it. One time he even stuck his head out in the clear and looked right up in the tree!

But my new KUIU camo passed the test, he didn't spook, but still would get his body in the small clearing!

A couple time he even acted as though he was going to run off, only to feed his way back right around this opening.  I was loving every minute of it, but the situation was getting more tense by the second...I was afraid he would just leave for no reason...that's what these deer do!

So, now he was coming back in...and it looked as though he would skirt around the top side of the circular opening at about 15yds., and 20+ ft. below me.

I had a plan for this move though...as he came in I crouched to about a half squat and started to draw. At about half draw, and with him just about one step from getting shot, he hung up again!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #719 on: January 13, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©