3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fiberglass arrows  (Read 827 times)

Offline E.AllenIII

• Trad Bowhunter
fiberglass arrows
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
I just got back to KS/MO after spending two weeks in VA.  While I was there a friend gave me some bows and a bunch of fiberglass arrows.  My friend has killed tons of deer with fiber glass arrows so I am sure they are effective, my question is why doesn't anyone use them?

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fiberglass arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
at 1200 grains they will shoot thru a piece of plywood! Monty Browning uses them and has taken Cape Buff and other such creatures. At 15-20 yards which is bowhunting range, why wouldn't you want to shoot a heavy arrow?
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline E.AllenIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply...i just am curious that when people discuss arrows they talk about wood, aluminum and carbon and...never fiber glass

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
What he said: weight.  Microflite sold a bunch of f/g arrows.  And guys would blow-through the straw bales with them!

But now with all this heavy arrow trend lately they'll likely come back.  A nice tapared fiberglass arrow - like a fishing rod - ought to be the berries.

Ever bunny shoot with a barbless fishing arrow?  They punch through brush but are a close range proposition.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Are they the Microflite woven glass shafts or the solid like bowfishing arrows, Biggie mentions?

The ole micros were used alot by folks years ago! I have a few in old arrow boxes.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
They were thin walled, but I can't say woven or not.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
I was a big fan of fiberglass, especially Micro Flites. The problem with them was if they hit a rock or other hard object they would sometimes crack, the cracks may not be easily seen. Then on the next shot long slivers of broken glass would flex out at the shot and sometimes hit the shooters arm. I never had this happen to me, I always bent/flexed them after hitting a hard object. They were very straight, and consistent spine, very good shafts. As long as you were careful with them, they were safe and shot straight. Micro Flites came in sizes from 0 (smallest) to 12 (largest).
John

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
There were several different brands of fiberglass arrow shafts made back in the 60's and 70's, Microflite being one of the better ones.  They made great hunting arrows and were pretty durable, but on the heavier side.  Like carbons, they were straight or broken.  Aluminum just seemed to take over the market and fiberglass disappeared.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline E.AllenIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
I'll check the brand out when I get home but the box is marked 1976 and I think they are 8s or 9s..he shot them with a 50# martin mamba

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
Do they look like these?

Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
I recall using them in the 60's and liked them...and still have some that I shoot on occasion.  

We all seemed to shoot cedar on a regular basis back then, but when we had extra money and wanted some good hunting arrows, fiberglass was the choice.  

Of course, aluminum was more expensive and most shooters considered that material superior.

With carbon and aluminum dominating today, I doubt that f/g would make a big comeback.
Lon Scott

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
If they're 8's or 9's they could very well be microflites. I shot 9's for years!
Now you have me curious.....

Fletcher, quit screwing around on the computer and get my arrows done!

:bigsmyl:
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
The man who gave the arrows to E.AllenIII was my traditional bowhunting mentor(Fred Balmer). Fred shot microflites tipped with Bear Razorheads out of his 50@28 Bear Grizzly and Martin ("Mamba"). He took his yearly limit of deer with stick and string when others were just thinking about it. I have several of his microflite arrows but they are a little short for me. Check your arrow length Ed. I'd be surprized if they are not too short for you as well.   :archer2:

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Ahhhh...microflites, now that brings back some old memories. I still have a few laying around myself. A very good arrow material.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
I think it would be interesting to see what could be made with todays tools and technology using a combination of glass and carbon built on a tapered mandrell....

Talk about getting some "Big Game" arrows... Sure would be a "nitch" market.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
In the mid 70s I had some green ones that I used for a few years. My friends and I would wrap the first inch or so with Fishing rod guide thread and then coat with epoxy....This would help keep the ends from splitting when hitting anything really hard. After going through two dozen pretty quick I went back to aluminum and wood.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
i have some #6 micro-flites; 1/2 dozen i think. i'll have to check.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I have some, and shot them a lot back in the day. You can "foot" the shafts at the point end with a 2 to 3" section of aluminum shaft, 2314, as I recall, and it really toughens them up against hard impacts.

That 1200 grain figure, BTW, is for a solid FG fishing shaft, not a hollow woven one.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
I still have some of my tan Herters Farbenglass F arrows from the late 60's that are 28 5/8in.  They weigh 568gr w/125 gr point and spine at 49# on the spine-o-meter.  I also have some of my Dad's Herters green fiberglass arrows from the 70's that are 30 3/4in and 621 gr with a 125gr point and spine at 70#.  I have found them to be tough as nails except when hitting a rock.

Offline E.AllenIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Bill is correct, they are all microflights with bear razor heads.  They are made by fleetwood and from the mid 70s.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©