3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: four fletched?  (Read 769 times)

Offline havamal

• Trad Bowhunter
four fletched?
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Any of you recurve or longbow hunters use four feathers fletching?  Do you use 90*x4, 75*-105*, or 60*-120* mounting angles?  What length of feathers?

I'd like to get a jig and start "rolling" my own.

I've heard four feathers stabilize broad heads straighter, but on 160 grain field points I hardly notice the difference, but I am not an accurate archer...yet.  

Once I get my accuracy improved to a "reliable" level, from 10 to 50 yards, I plan to hunt "meat sow" feral or wild pigs in Nor Cal.

I've been buying Grizzly broad heads, 160 grains, but are there others better known for penetration?
Martin Hunter recurve 62" 65#.
Fred Bear Grizzly recurve 58" 50#.
Shakespeare recurve 62" 40#.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: four fletched?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Hey Chris....this would probably get a better response in powwow.
i use 4 x 4 inch feathers just cause i like the way they look.  :)  Most any cut on contact 2 blade or 3 blade will work as long as your arrows are tuned and your broadhead is very sharp!
Welcome to tradgang!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
I am wondering about the different angles as well.  I just made a 4-90 and a 60-120.  I think on some bows I could get feather contact with the  4-90.  60-120 looks a little odd to me.  I would like to try 75-105, but I don't have the indexer parts to do that. I will test shoot the other ones first to see how they work.

there are a lot of great heads out there.

Keep us posted on how you make out on that reliable accuracy works out at 50 yd.  I am still trying to get thatat 25.

Welcome to TG.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
I have shot 4 fletch set at 90 for years. I usually use 4" but have done some in 5". I like the bigger feathers so I can see them better. I have rather poor vision and like to see the flight of the arrow. Even the 4 5" does not slow the arrow out to 25-30 yds or so. Great broadhead flight.
John

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
75-105 is what I use with 4" (any shape) Ive spent months trying to create the perfect arrow and have used 5.5" to 3" of all shapes and the 4 feathered arrows are what I will shoot  and like rastaman said the look cool   :thumbsup:    :archer2:

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I forgot to mention all of the arrows flew nicely out of my bow with field points, but the true test was with identical BH with diff feathers was the key for me.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
I shoot a lot of 4 fletch.  Tried both the 90x90 and 75-105; settled on the 90x90 for me.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
have been tunning on a bow last couple days. Had always heard 4x4 stabilized arrows better - figured the difference was marginal. While i'/m sure that well tuned arrows woudl not notice a difference, i like hte idea of more stability - the back yard is BEST case scenario. When in the woods, its far more likely that form will not be perfrect for a variety of reasons. After last couple days, i'll always use 4x4. i've only used 90degrees - someone else could likely chime in on the other set ups
mgreen
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
90x90 for Me.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
75-105 for me.  I use 5" feathers, too.  Talk about stability.

And I haven't really noticed a problem with shooting out to distances of 30 yards.  I have heard some folks say that the arrow slows down and drops too much, but I don't shoot much more than 15 or so yards hunting so it's not an issue for me.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
90x90 for me as well.

Offline silvertip73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
I will be using 4 fletch next year but have not mastered doing it myself.  Great info, thank for the great info!

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
I started using 4 fletch this year and I believe I get better flight. I have flected gold tips, axis and Beman MFX. the smaller shafts take a little longer to set up but not much. I'm using 4" feathers but I am ordering a feather chopper so I can get Banana cut feathers. I think they llok cool and you dont have to look when you nock and arrow. I dont know why but with three feathers shot thru muy Shrew I get a feather cut on my grip hand, not so with the four fletch.
Again most of all they just look "cool". You are increasing the cost of fletching by 25%.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
I have been using 4-4" fletch 75*x105* with 125-145 gr points or Bear broadheads (horzontial) that fly like darts.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
90x90 and I like smaller feathers 3-4 " sometimes   2 1/2 " .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
4X4 for  me for the past 8 years.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
$ fletch for me,and I cant tell any differance for myself on the different angles between90 degree and the60x120.I use the 60x120 as it appears to give a lil more clearance.As far as the difference between 4" and 5".I get about 1 ft per sec.from 4 fletch in tests on 4 different bows that all will shoot the same arrow well.So I kind of like 5" feathers as big feathers disguise flaws in my technique,more forgiving with heavy heads etc.My main liking of 4 fletch is not having to feel/look to nock an arrow,and like the look.Makes for more feathers needed though thats for sure.

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 03:13:00 AM »
Iv been shooting 4 fletch for a few years and I find that they stabilize quicker and there are 2 problems the first being with the set up i use the feathers catch on the shelf. fraying the feathers after a hunting season I usually have to replace all of them. the second problem is that after 30 yards they loose a lot of speed. this fact cost me 2 nice bucks this year. that being said I wouldn't trade straight and accurate flight for extra distance.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
I've used 4 fletch for close to 30 years and won't shoot anything else. Whether you chose 4x90 or one of the others is purely a matter of taste.

I find that distance matters not at all. Maybe if you had been shooting 3 fletch and picked up a 4 fletch to shoot a long distance target. Other than that you will quickly adapt.

4" 4 fletch is only more expensive if you buy die cut feathers. If you use full length it's actually cheaper.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
i only use four fletch, 75x105, left wing 4" (carbon) to 4.5" (wood) long, 7/16" to 5/8" high, slight offset and no helical.  plenty of steerage for the small feathers, no nock index needed.  natural turk or canada goose feathers only.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©