3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: four fletched?  (Read 768 times)

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: four fletched?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
I've shot 4 fletch, mostly 4" feathers, though I've used 3" & 5", for about 20 years.  I like it because you don't have to think about which way the arrow is loaded on the string - however the nock fits on, will work - no worries about the cock feather being in or out.  

If you don't get too carried away with oversized fletching and too much helical, you won't notice any more speed loss at distance - in fact, because they are lower profile, 4 - 4" fletchs may have less wind resistence than 3 - 5".

I use a Bitzenburger jig, which I think is 75x105.  

According to some of Ashby's studies, when you get into extreme FOC, you actually need less fletching.
Dan Brockman

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
4 fletch 5 minute downpour test - processed turk vs. natural canada goose, which one would you take hunting?   :cool:

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by hightop_hunter:
Iv been shooting 4 fletch for a few years and I find that they stabilize quicker and there are 2 problems the first being with the set up i use the feathers catch on the shelf. fraying the feathers after a hunting season I usually have to replace all of them. the second problem is that after 30 yards they loose a lot of speed. this fact cost me 2 nice bucks this year. that being said I wouldn't trade straight and accurate flight for extra distance.
i don't see or have any of those problems.

in a 120 three fletch comparison to a 75x105 four fletch, there's better clearance with the four fletch, no matter whether a longbow cut shelf or recurve elevated shelf.

i've never seen more feather wear with four than three.

one concept with four fletch that i use is shorter feathers in both length and height - my 4" four fletched arrows are faster than most folks 5" three fletched arrows -easily.

if you experiment a bit - or a lot! - you'll see the distinct advantages to dressing yer shafts with four feathers.  

and like charlie sez, cheaper if you chop full length feathers, too.

Offline horsehairhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Rob- do you know a good source for goose feathers?  Here in the great northwest, we need arrows that can handle the constant rain.  As for me, I seem to hit 4 feathers off the shelf unless I get a great release-not a problem when I shoot 3 feathers with cock feather in.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
I went from 3-5" to 4-4" fletched 90deg. Never had better arrow flight.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Rob,    :readit:   It is very close   :saywhat:     Just for you youngster/ newbie/ rookies, 4x4"'s = 16"'s of feather to help straighten your arrow. 3x 5" ='s 15"'s of feather. 3x 5 1/2"'s ='s 16 1/2 "'s of feather but I think that's a little overkill.   :archer2:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by horsehairhunter:
Rob- do you know a good source for goose feathers?  Here in the great northwest, we need arrows that can handle the constant rain.  As for me, I seem to hit 4 feathers off the shelf unless I get a great release-not a problem when I shoot 3 feathers with cock feather in.
i think stringstretcher offers ground natural goose fletching, give him a pm or email.

i  strip \\'n\\' grind my own canada goose feathers  that i scout out every june during the molt - there are hundreds at the big pond down the road from my house.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
I use four 4" parabolic, using a straight clamp and just a tiny bit of offset. They fly like rockets, err... darts.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

in a 120 three fletch comparison to a 75x105 four fletch, there's better clearance with the four fletch, no matter whether a longbow cut shelf or recurve elevated shelf.

i've never seen more feather wear with four than three.

one concept with four fletch that i use is shorter feathers in both length and height - my 4" four fletched arrows are faster than most folks 5" three fletched arrows -easily.

if you experiment a bit - or a lot! - you'll see the distinct advantages to dressing yer shafts with four feathers.  

and like charlie sez, cheaper if you chop full length feathers, too. [/QB][/QUOTE

Rob, those four fletches look nice, I'm gonna have to try it myself.  Thanks for the heads up!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
4 Fletch all the way
i love it
dont have to look at the arrow whilst nocking it
great flight and control  
easy to see in flight and where you hit an animal
etc..
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
3 inch - 4 fletch - 75 X 105 Shield Cut.  Great shelf clearance and the same surface area a 3 4-inch fletch.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
I don't know if it's a crutch for me or not, but I love 75/105 four-fletch 5" shield feathers, usually with a splice of bright color the last inch or so of the feather.  When that arrow is departing, I see this nice ball of bright color heading downrange!

"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
4" parabolic 90x90
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Now Mr.DeStefano,That first four fleched banana feathered arrow is about the most classic thing Ive ever seen!Nice work.

Offline horsehairhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
Rob-thanks for the info-I know just the place to gather up goose feathers this summer, looks like I'll be making my own fletching soon...

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »

I got one fletched up.

Ready to go.

It works. 4 inch banana almost 1/2 high @ 75 X 105
using a Bitz fletching jig. They fly the same as my normally 3 fletched 4 inch parabolics.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©