3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: did i make a HUGE mistake????  (Read 2043 times)

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
did i make a HUGE mistake????
« on: January 03, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
the bow i ordered was a 66"  hybrid and my draw is 26.5"

the builder says it should work fine for 26-31" draw, then others are saying it wont for me and would be almost unless in the woods. im prety much worried sick and feel like a jerk since i already sent payment and he started the bow and im now just lost and confuessed about this.  

im new to this and guess off to a bad start:(
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: did i make a HUGE mistake????
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
Useless why? Are they telling you its too long to use in the woods?  If so, you don't have the most intelligent archers giving you advice.
David M. Conroy

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
If the bow is at your weight, at your draw then it will work for you. I don't think it matters if it's 66" or 56". Shoot it 'til the cows come home.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
As long as the draw weight is sufficient at your length there should be no problem.  Are these "others" stickbow shooters?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with that set up that I can see! Should be smoooooth and stable.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
mostly do the the hybrid part and one of the guys was another guy who biulds hybrid bows.

ugh  trad is killing me  im so confuessed its not even funny. im pulling hairs out

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
I think you will be fine unless you decide to hunt from a pop-up blind.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by ermont:
I think you will be fine unless you decide to hunt from a pop-up blind.
never plan on it. if i do deer hunt with it ill be in a stand. for turkeys and stuff ill stick to the compound and shotgun, there tricky enough as it is haha

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
If you enjoy shooting a bow, then you'll just goin' to love that length..........Art

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Not sure of the poundage, but as long as it is over the legal minimum for hunting, I wouldn't worry a bit.

Even if it isn't you mentioned you are a beginner, a low poundage bow is what you need.

As far as blinds, test them out. I use a 64" recurve pretty much vertical with room to spare.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
the bow is going to be 45# (min for NY i believe). im new to this hybrid stuff but i have been shooting my 40# bear recurve at my dl for years.

so now it sounds like more eople are saying to not worry about it, some say no, my builder says it will work, another doesnt think it will be efficent at my draw.  see why im confuessed?  i have a ton of stuff going through my had, debating wether i should worry or not and have a HUGE headache for it haha.   think i need to grab the recurve and shoot for a bit to relax then come back to this

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
I have a few 66" bows. Tough to hunt with in many different woods . Great with 3D/targets shooting, smooth shooting! But hunting I had too many issues with 66". I am not very tall to start with.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
The bow you ordered, what is the poundage?  For example 45@28"

As far as the reflex/delex part you have no worries about it being a good hunting bow.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
In NY it only needs to be over 35# at your draw length.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html   (See: "Manner of Taking")
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
I shoot one of my 66" Robertson longbows everytime I hunt.  I can't seem to see where your problem lies.  I always thought it to be a good thing to have a new bow on order...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Get the book “Shooting the Stickbow” by Anthony Camera. It will answer almost every question you will have. If you can’t find an answer there then seek advice here and take it with a grain of salt, as everyone is helpful but not every answer will meet your situation.

Personally, I like a long longbow.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Bows go through fashion cycles just like clothes, think of it as cuffs on trousers-nothing more. Right now the fashion is tending towards shorter bows. Don't get caught up in that-longer limbs are far more stable and store more energy; enjoy your new bow.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm confused about why it won't work.... I'd be pumped about a new bow if I were you.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
I love a longer bow. To me, they are far more forgiving when my form isn't perfect. I think you will love it. Pay attention when you are setting up your stands to hunt and make sure you trim enough for good clearance. You'll be fine!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Dude,
Settle down, breathe, relax

I'm 5'6" on a good day and I shoot a 68" longbow without any problems in the woods. Make sure the pointy thing on the end of your arrow is plenty sharp and deliver it in the lungs and you'll be fine.

Take time and shoot the bow and find the combination of arrow spine and weight that works. Make super sure you can group them in your effective range. Build up some confidence in your shot with the new bow and take it from there.

There are way too many good bows up for sale in mint condition because people didn't give them enough time.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©