3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: did i make a HUGE mistake????  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: did i make a HUGE mistake????
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
You are doing the "what if" thing which is being fueled by speculation.

That bow is gonna be fine.  Its a modern bow, chill.  If the poundage is ther it will work
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Given that it is a hybrid design, I would contact the bowyer and ask him if there is anyway he could shorten your bow. Maybe he has only started the riser and hasn't yet laid up the laminations.

BTW, what length is the riser?
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
You will be fine with this bow. The longer length will be smooth as silk and more forgiving of release problems. Proper spine and weight arrows and your set to go.

Joe

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
Mark, I see no problems in length or weight. Is it 45# at your draw (26.5) or 45# @28".

No matter still sounds good to me.

Earl

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
I shot deer with 72" T2T longbow from treestands, Don't let anyone tell You a bow is to long for a tree stand..

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by greyghost:
Mark, I see no problems in length or weight. Is it 45# at your draw (26.5) or 45# @28".

Earl
it will be around 45# at my 26.5dl.  think he is going to build it 50# at 28"

im 5' 8" also so seeing how that other guy is 5'6" and uses a longer hunting bow i think i could make it work out. worst comes to worst i have a new target bow and have a excuse to buy another bow for hunting, or just use my recurve.  think im just worrying for nothing
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Protege Longbows:
Given that it is a hybrid design, I would contact the bowyer and ask him if there is anyway he could shorten your bow. Maybe he has only started the riser and hasn't yet laid up the laminations.

BTW, what length is the riser?
not really sure. he said as of right now since he mostly just makes bows for his friends, family and him self he only has a form to make 66" bows.  people that bought his self bows said his work is great, but those are different bows and seem to be his specialty

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Send it to me and I will test it out for a few years for you.Its going to work fine.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
If it is 45 at your draw it sounds like a fine hunting bow to me.  I just don't see any problem with the weight, design or leangth.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Worry is a wasted emotion.My favorite best shooting bow is a 68" longbow and I'm  5'10".All bows have Pros and Cons.Don't let someone with preconceived ideas tell you what you will or will not like.Enjoy the bow!
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
If this is a self or all wood laminate bow then both you and the bowyer still have options. I would contact the bowyer and discuss your concerns with him.........Art

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by sawtoothscream:

Originally posted by greyghost:

Earl
it will be around 45# at my 26.5dl.  think he is going to build it 50# at 28"

im 5' 8" also so seeing how that other guy is 5'6" and uses a longer hunting bow i think i could make it work out. worst comes to worst i have a new target bow and have a excuse to buy another bow for hunting, or just use my recurve.  think im just worrying for nothing [/b]
See no problem Mark. Enjoy. But I think someone else said to discuss your concerns with the bowyer.

Earl

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
No worries, you're going to love the smooth draw. Nothing to worry about.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
I'm 6' tall. I shoot 64" minimum. Prefer 68" and have hunted with 70" All recurves. I've hunted in every kind of tree you can think of. Hunted Every Province of Canada (except BC), Maine,Ma. RI.,Conn.,New York, Pa, Ohio, Wyoming, and Colorado. Also the isle of Newfoundland for Caribou. All different terrains and have not had any issues with my bow being too long. (the brush in Newfoundland is an exception, not shooting but catching the lower limb while walking).
I think you'll love that bow. I hope so.
I know your Hybrid is the issue, but I see a few warnings about bow length. Don't worry about it, its a beautiful length to hunt anywhere with.
David M. Conroy

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
You will have no problems.  That should be one smooth bow.  Go shoot something with it when you get it and don't listen to others who say it will be useless in the woods.
Ron
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
No
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
i just talked to the guy and he said that he understands he could build a smaller bow with his form. but he said it also has its issues. he said he builds his bows so they have the best blend between speed and smoothness.

said if i get the bow and simply cant get use to to the length of it, i can just send it back and he will redo it.

with this being a target and most likly just a rabbit bow i think it should work. ill be shooting in fields and open places for the most part.

i feel a little better now

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I would rather have one too long than too short. Now that I think about it, I have never shot a bow that I thought was too long. I have shot one I thought was too short though. They are not very fun to shoot. They can be unstable. They pinch your fingers. The number one source you should listen to when talking about your bow is your bowyer. He knows his product better than anyone. Gary

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
A bow can be too short for a given draw length, but not too long.  64" should be perfect at your draw length; personally I wouldn't go any shorter.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
I have a 66" longbow laying on my pool table right now. I have a 26" draw.  I wouldn't consider the bow useless at all. When you get down to it, an extra 6-10" on a bow -- 3-5" on each end will only be noticed in a ground blind with a roof.

You should be very excited that the build has begun on your bow.  Then you can tune it, practice, hunt with it, and show pictures about how full of use it is in the woods!

Good luck to you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©