3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: did i make a HUGE mistake????  (Read 2045 times)

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: did i make a HUGE mistake????
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
I'm 5'8" and shoot 66" bows all the time. Shoot them from ground blinds on my knees, sitting, and standing. Also from tree stands, have never had any problems with the length. As long as it is 45# at your draw you shouldn't have any concerns.
Stop worrying and enjoy it, it should be smooth drawing and stable. Much more of a pleasure to shoot than any cable gun ever produced.
RELAX!

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Hey, your bow will be fine and 2 days after you start shooting your love it!! May take a little help tuning the arrow flight.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Years back EATMAN made 66" bows and was said to be the ideal length. You will enjoy this length to learn on and get your form down.
   This will probably not be your only bow that you will buy but over the years. Howard Hill did quite well with the longer bows  :wavey:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
Are they trying to tell you that 66" is too short for your draw length (poppycock) or that it is too long for the woods (poppycock)?  I've been shooting a 66" longbow in the woods for a while now with no ill effects and my draw length is 29".

Either way - I wouldn't worry about it.  You'll be fine.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
I draw 26" and have been shooting 60" and shorter bows for years, until last year when I got a 65" Bama Hunter (Hill Style) and I love the smoothness of her. Just a few days ago I got a 68" Bamboo Longhunter and what a Butter Smooth bow she is, and such a pleasure to shoot. I am drawing about 53# with both of them at my draw, and that's all I care about...adequate draw weight. I have too many important things to worry about, without adding "Power Stroke".."Maximum Effiency" and such to the list. I especially enjoy the feeling of stabilty and forgivness of these longer bows. I haven't hunted with the longer bows yet, but I don't forsee any issues, except small pop-up blinds, which I don't use. I still have short bows and enjoy them too. I will use whichever bow suits the type of shooting/hunting I'm doing.
So you'll be fine, stop worrying and savor the sweet anticipation of knowing you have a new bow in the build right now. Make sure you post pics and a review of her when she's done!   :archer2:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
I use a longer bow in every situation and prefer them to be 66" to 68 " wityh longbows and i Draw 27 " .....

Longer bows work just fine and i have been using longer bows for 30 years .

Lotta people round here with a lot of experience that'll tell you why they like longer bows .

Check out Ryan Rothaar's latest deer ... wirth a 66" recurve .

Don't sweat it ... your bow will be a sweet , forgiving and accurate bow .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
I gave a 68" R/D bamboo core to a friend, he went hunting with me this fall with it.  It kind of bothered me how often he was dead on at leaves and milkweed pods out to 30 yards with it.  he draws it about 27 inches.  Last year year he got a pass through on a moving deer with the large Magnus broadhead on a tapered cedar arrow.  It is 49 pounds at his draw.  Perhaps a slightly shorter one could have a touch more speed, a touch more speed that will not make any difference.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
You will find the length will not matter. I have long bows from 58" too 68" and all of them shoot as well as you do. The longer bows are just more forgiving. I draw 26" @  5'9", You will do well. Enjoy the new bow. I can't wait to get my new Toelke Lynz
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
you have made an awful mistake. you are going to be sorry .when the bow gets to your house box it up an send it to me right away.I love 66inch bows

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
iv been shooting a 66" longbow for 30 years i guess i better send it back,but i did shoot two deer and a turkey with it this year and two deer and a running rabbit last year. and i almost forgot a young friend of ours shoot one nice ten pointer with a bow that was 38# at his draw length. i say once you get this bow and learn how to shoot it your going to fall in love with it

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
I was shooting with my son in a popular 20+ year archery shop last week. The owner was telling my son that something was seriously wrong with my son's arrows.

They had four fletch!!!

If you have communicated what your desires are and you have a competent bowyer, then listen to him. One familiar problem is not knowing what we really want.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Don't count your chickens yet!  You'll likely love it for its smooth draw and inherent accuracy.  Wait and see...all good bows are re-salable as well, so don't get too worked up!  

Good luck and don't prejudge this bow...give it chance.

Kris

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
My preference is 70" ntn & I hunt in trees & ground blinds, etc. w/o any trouble at all. Just what you get used to. Bet money you'll be fine. Bonus; longer is surprisingly fast & easy to draw & shoot.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
i talked with the guy building it more and after hearing all of you i feel much better.  besically ill be getting hte bow how he makes it and if i dont like the length he will take it back and do a smaller one.  seems like everyone that has bought a self bow from him likes them alot. so im back to being happy.

so now im going to order a bow sqaure, a dozen GT arrows, a noc pliers, cat whiskers, quiver and a new tab (just have to find one for 3 under).  think thats about. if you see something missing that i should buy or have any recommandations please post up. im going to try and have all this stuff before the bow arrives.

also what should i use for the kock point? i have metal one on my recurve but i usualy see like a served srea instead on most bows, saw that one guy used detal floss for his?
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
You'll be just fine!  :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Suggest tying your string nocks instead of crimping brass. Use dental floss or old killed bowstring to tie nocks. Many if not most here tie nocks. Let your string stretch overnight first. And, do your tuning before nailing everything down. Bottom of my string nock is 3/8" from zero. Yours may be different.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
any special way to tie them?  im buying a bow square and im going to mess around. going to get a few arrows without feathers so i can bare saft tune the bow or try to at least.  should i start off using crimping brass at first just to make it easier then once i find a spot good tie the string then redo it?

so string up the bow and leave it strung for a day to make sure its all stratched and good to go?  then set it to the brace height and try from there?

just trying to figure out how to tune a trad bow. i havnt seen many trad shooters in my area that could help me out.  any good videos that could start me off in the right direction?
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
I am of similar size and draw length as you, and have never had a problem shooting 66" bows. Yeah, a shorter bow might be a little handier in certain situations; however, your bow should be smooth on the draw without a hint of finger pinch.

Did you make a big mistake? In a word, no.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
I think you are going to love that extra length.Remember all those target bows from the 1960s were long for a reason.The only way i can see that it may inhibit you is shooting out of a blind ,maybe.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
If it's still in the "build process" it may be possible to have him shorten it a couple inches and take the limbs down to still make your weight???   :wavey:    :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©