3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: did i make a HUGE mistake????  (Read 2042 times)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: did i make a HUGE mistake????
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
You can find a tutorial on tying the nock on in the How-To forum. I use the adjustable version. You can move them up or down the string by simply twisting them, sure makes it easier to tune. They are very easy to do. If you want to fix them in place after a string in shot-in, just apply a drop of glue.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by L. E. Carroll:
If it's still in the "build process" it may be possible to have him shorten it a couple inches and take the limbs down to still make your weight???    :wavey:      :coffee:  
already had a chat with him about it. he wants me to try it out how he makes it first then if i feel its to long he said just send it back and he will make a smaller one. so its worth a try, worst thing that happens is i dont like it and he makes a smaller one.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2011, 03:43:00 AM »
Mark,
No, you're not off to a bad start.  

You will love that bow.  You are in a good place now....come here and ask before you make any decisions....many here will bend over backwards to help you.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by sawtoothscream:
the bow is going to be 45# ...
at your 26.5" draw length, right?
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
Deep breath. Many reasons beside length to like or dislike a bow. Shoot your bow and decide for yourself then sell or trade if needed. You may be surprised. Mike

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
You will be fine.
   Nock point build along
just one of the ways to do it.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Suggest tying your string nocks instead of crimping brass. Use dental floss or old killed bowstring to tie nocks. Many if not most here tie nocks. Let your string stretch overnight first. And, do your tuning before nailing everything down. Bottom of my string nock is 3/8" from zero. Yours may be different.
I'm pretty sure there are five times as many crimp on nocks as tie ons out there.  Just don't install a crimp on with a hydraulic press and you will be fine.

I didn't see an armguard on your list.  You are going to want one.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I shoot a 68" longbow at 26.5 inch draw.Longer the better for me.A 64" would only be 2" on each end. Not enough to worry about in a real hunting world.I built a 66" for a caribou hunt,great bow for that draw length.For me longer longbows are a pleasure to hunt with and good acuracy.My opinion,no worries!

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

Originally posted by sawtoothscream:
the bow is going to be 45# ...
at your 26.5" draw length, right? [/b]
yup around 45# at my 26.5 dl

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:

Originally posted by straitera:
Suggest tying your string nocks instead of crimping brass. Use dental floss or old killed bowstring to tie nocks. Many if not most here tie nocks. Let your string stretch overnight first. And, do your tuning before nailing everything down. Bottom of my string nock is 3/8" from zero. Yours may be different.
I'm pretty sure there are five times as many crimp on nocks as tie ons out there.  Just don't install a crimp on with a hydraulic press and you will be fine.

I didn't see an armguard on your list.  You are going to want one. [/b]
guess i should get one to try until i see if im going to hit the arm. that chit hurts haha. ive been lucky o far and havnt hit with my compound or recurve

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I have a couple of 66" bows, and they are among the smoothest shooting bows I own. Under the right conditions a 66" bow is as good for hunting as any length of bow made, and better than most. A longer bow is always more stable and smoother than an otherwise identical shorter bow. A higher moment of inertia and longer limbs that bend at less angle for the same draw length are physical attributes that cannot be totally compensated for by other means, just like a larger objective lens on a telescope is inherently desirable. That said, I never choose one of my 66" bows for hunting because they do not have the versatility and adaptability of my shorter bows.

For most of my hunting today, I generally pick up one of my bows of 60" and less that is designed to function well at my 29.5" draw length. For carrying around, shooting from a tree stand or ground blind, transporting in a vehicle, and using in other restricted areas, the shorter length and lighter physical weight of my 54" to 60" bows far more than makes up for the advantages of a longer bow.

Even though I make those statements about shorter bows, until the last few years when I discovered the newer bow designs that could result in really good, short lengths, most of my hunting was done with 64" bows, which are not that much shorter than a 66" bow. Of course, I am 6'1" tall, so a 66" bow is not as comparatively long for me as it is for you. I used my 64" bows in lots of different hunting conditions and took quite a bit of game with them without ever thinking they were too long. And the utility of those 64" bows has not changed over the years. They are just as good for hunting today as they were 5, 10, 20, or 30 years ago when I was shooting them all the time. In fact, if I didn't have my shorter bows, I would gladly hunt with a 64" or 66" bow all season long, every season, for the rest of my life.

Back when I was really young, as in ages 5 through 25, I shot shorter bows of older designs. Of course, that was no problem when I was 14 or younger, but as I started growing much taller and increasing my draw length between 15 and 19 years old, bows like my old Browning Nomad II started stacking on me, pinching my fingers and feeling less than ideal. A 64" bow was a welcome change for me when I finally got one and had a bow that was smooth and forgiving and shot well for me.

Did you make a huge mistake? I would say the bow is definitely big (maybe even huge for someone your size), but the mistake is probably a little one. The bow will work well for you; however, if you were to shoot a really nice, shorter length bow, you would probably wish you had ordered a bow like that rather than the one you did. No problem. Learn to shoot well with the bow you get and then try out a bunch of bows next time before you buy your next one so that you won't have to ask yourself and others whether you made a mistake.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
busted out my old bear polar 64"  51#at 28" long bow not to long agoand shot the best i ever have with trad gear. i just plan shot way better and consistant then i ever have with my 60" bear kodiak recurve 45# at 28"

guess i do like longer bows after all haha.  think im going to enjoy the new bow

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
A 66" longbow is a wonderful thing to shoot and hunt with. I really had no issues with mine- ever. But I don't hunt from blinds and hunt out West...
Sure maybe you can't take a shot that you might take with a shorter bow- but so what? I don't think THAT has a lot to do with success anyway.
 My draw is different from yours, but as a hunting bow and set up for your draw/weight, a 66 incher has a lot going for it. Like forgiving of form mistakes to name just one.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »

already had a chat with him about it. he wants me to try it out how he makes it first then if i feel its to long he said just send it back and he will make a smaller one. so its worth a try, worst thing that happens is i dont like it and he makes a smaller one.

It sounds like you're dealing with a real stand-up guy   :thumbsup:
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by gobblegrunter:

It sounds like you're dealing with a real stand-up guy    :thumbsup:  [/b]
he is. he has been dealing iwth me every well haha. for being 19rs old he has some skill and makes some nice looking bows.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I shoot a 68" R/D Longbow 61#@28" I draw it 27" and It shoots a 525gr arrow @ a average speed of 183 fps through my chronograph.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Reading all this makes me think I should be looking for a 68" longbow, maybe around 45# at 28".  I thought I was done buying bows.  Thanks Mark.    :thumbsup:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
Im 5'9" and draw 27". All my bows are 68" Hill style bows. I had a 66" and sold it. You should love a 66" hybrid. Never had any clearance issue with mine. You made a good choice. Shoot it and give it time till you learn how to shoot it.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
I think that is all depends on what you like, and your style of shooting.  Some on here like longer bows, some shorter.  Me, I like them all.  Sometimes I feel that the longer bows shoot better for me, then a few weeks later I like the shorter bows.  Did you make a huge mistake?  NO! You are shooting Traditional!!!

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
I noticed you shoot 3 fingers under.  The shorter the bow the less you are going to like the finger pinch.  

I'm 5'9" and I can make any length bow I want.  My personal bows are 66".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©