3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Has anybody ever read this on KE??  (Read 812 times)

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has anybody ever read this on KE??
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Agree wholeheartedly that KE isn't something to obsess about.  For sure not something that I consider.  But, it is interesting to me to keep in mind that whatever setup you are shooting, the heavier arrow will yield more KE--I guess I find it interesting that a formula usually touted by "speed" guys is also a formula that corroborataes what longbow and recurve shooters have been saying forever--use a "reasonably" heavy arrow and you are better off.

SEMO--one other thing you could look at is to find a more efficient bow at "XX" pounds if you really want to add more "umph" to your setup.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by CG:
Agree wholeheartedly that KE isn't something to obsess about.  For sure not something that I consider.  But, it is interesting to me to keep in mind that whatever setup you are shooting, the heavier arrow will yield more KE--I guess I find it interesting that a formula usually touted by "speed" guys is also a formula that corroborataes what longbow and recurve shooters have been saying forever--use a "reasonably" heavy arrow and you are better off.

SEMO--one other thing you could look at is to find a more efficient bow at "XX" pounds if you really want to add more "umph" to your setup.
Yes I have been thinking about that for quite awhile now. I know there are more modern designs and bow makers right here on Trad gang that have faster/more efficient bows at roughly the same poundage as what I'm shooting now. I just don't have the funds to consider one at the moment, but hopefully before next season I will.
I could shoot more than my #48lb. Grizzly, so I'm not stuck at that draw weight. I think I could go at least as high as 55# and still shoot comfortably, at least with lots of practice I know that I could work into it in no time at all.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Ran my setup through the calculator and it saws I have 43.18 ft lbs. of KE...whewww, just made it into the large game animal category...haha
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
I did some calculations a few months back using a calculator that estimates "point blank" velocity with different arrow weights based on my bow's setup.  For the sake of doing the numbers I pretended each arrow was tuned to my bow.  If I remember correctly the graph was a U shape where there was actually two arrow weights with different velocities and weights that had fairly equal KE.    One light arrow and one heavy arrow respectively.  Of course momentum sides with the heavier arrow when comparing the two.  And yes the heavier arrows eventually showed a climb in KE.  I also did some calculations regarding impact force, momentum, elastic collisions, and so-on.  Unfortunately when I just looked for the spreadsheet it seems to be missing.  It's a very interesting topic.  Being new to traditional archery I have been very interested in maximizing the chance of making a kill if I shoot too far forward and hit bone coupled with having an arrow with the least amount of arc out to 30 yards even though 25 yards is my goal for personal effective hunting range.  If I find the spreadsheet I will share it with whomever cares to see it.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
if youre that intent on shooting a heavy arrow , why not just shoot an even faster bow , with an even heavier arrow...

sounds like you need a wheelie or two...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I think KE is a fair way to compare bows, and a lousy way to predict penetration.

We got here because compound sales groups could show big numbers due to the importance of velocity in the KE formula.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by hova:
if youre that intent on shooting a heavy arrow , why not just shoot an even faster bow , with an even heavier arrow...

sounds like you need a wheelie or two...

-hov
I think you missed the point Hov?
There are faster trad bows over other trad bows, so one could maximize the potential of a quicker more efficient trad bow design and yes shoot a heavier arrow or just stick with the wt. your using. Then gain a higher momentum or ke whichever way you decide to measure it and minimize the probability of falling short of doing the deed if the worst should happen, encountering heavy bone ie shoulder blade.

I just wanted some of the other guys opinions on the subject to see how they determine their own KE, Momentum, Slug ft.per.sec. ect.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©