3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cedar or surewood???? wood new guy  (Read 1931 times)

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
cedar or surewood???? wood new guy
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
well im getin ready to start my wood arrow journey. i have narrowed it down to these two types or wood and would like your oppinion on the two. im a stranger to the whole thing about what makes a wood arrow beter than another wood arrow thing but am willing to learn. so what are your oppinions on the two??

steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cedar or surewood???? wood new guy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Both great woods.  Cedars smell better when you break them.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
I just received and finished a Surewood's test pak.  I couldn't believe how straight they were....I didn't have to do a thing to any of them except start staining.  All claims & testimonials from tradgang members met & exceeded.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Grapes:
Both great woods.  Cedars smell better when you break them.
well if i go with cedar i hope not to smell that to often. at least under the circumstances of breaking an arrow.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Cedar might be an easier option to learn on but you can't go wrong with either .....
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Doug Fir can be a bit brittle if you are not doing tapers with a sander, other than that it is my choice these days.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
brittle? i thought it was supposed to be a tougher shaft? i only have pencil sharpener taper tool since im starting out, i dont want an arrow thats gonna snap when im putting on the tappers....

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Bjorn is not suggestiong that Douglas Fir shafts will break but that because it is not as soft as Cedar the finished taper has some nicks in it when tapered with a hand tool. My experience is that very straight, beautifully grained Douglas Fir is readily available, especially that from Surewoodshafts. I have gotten very good Sitka Spruce as well from Hildebrand and again in my experience, comparable Cedar shafting is very, very hard to find as in the number of times that I have tried I have gotten really good Cedar only once.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Start off with cedar, I do believe they are cheaper. If You don't like woodies Your not out that much money..

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
even if i dont like them $100 (ll the supplies and stuff estimate) is a lot of money for a 14 year ol kid with a steady job....

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Bob and Rourke at Surewood shafts are going to great lengths to bring us the best doug fir shafts that can be bought.They take great pride in their work and really go through a great deal of logs to get even some that make the cut and their finished product is great or they dont send them out.Port Orford ceders are great too,dont get me wrong.But if you want a good ,straight hard hitting wood shaft that will take some punishment Surewoods are the stuff.Great guys tooo!And the fir shafts are heavier right out of the gate,if thats what you are after.Dont forget about hickory also ,if you can get it.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Bowhunter. I will gladly put the tapers on for you with my disk sander if that's what you need. You can pm me and we can work out the details. If you go fir the hand held is not advised as stated above. It will wear out your taper tool sooner as well.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
thanks for the offer magnus. whats so bad about using surewoods witha handheld taper tool??? i dint see why its so bad?.?.?.?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by $bowhunter$:
thanks for the offer magnus. whats so bad about using surewoods witha handheld taper tool??? i dint see why its so bad?.?.?.?
scrape your teeth across the top of a peeled hard boiled egg, then do it across the grain of a piece of celery.  You can probably visualize the difference now.  If not, just try it.  It's going to tear the fibers, not cut cleanly thru them.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
I know you asked about cedar or Surewoods, but don't rule out the German pine from Kustom King. Costs less for learnin'. I just ordered my second dozen tonight. I'm only one dozen ahead of you on the learnin' process. They accept stain well and the grain was straight on the last doz. They did need some slight straightening but they taper well with the twist tools. I got the 5/16 shafts. First dozen was 30-35 spine. These are 45-50 spine I have on the way. Ebony stain really brought out the golden growth rings.

I gave 7 to my father and kept the rest for stumpin.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
do they work ok with cedars? ok one last thing before i got to get off my puter. i was lookin and found 2 types of arrows for cheap and want to know what yall think of them. there are some shafts on **** cheap for $15 for 12 and sure wood has the flu flu shafts for 1.50 a shaft. would these be good enough to start and possibly hunt with?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
You get what you pay for, and they didn't come up with the saying "Buyer Beware" for no reason at all.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
brittle? i thought it was supposed to be a tougher shaft? i only have pencil sharpener taper tool since im starting out, i dont want an arrow thats gonna snap when im putting on the tappers....
Go with the cedar the SW's are not going to give you a clean taper with the pencil sharpener type(  I found that out first hand). If you do cedar it will give you a clean taper and that helps to make the finished product that much more prettier.It looks smooth and clean when done.Definite confidence builder.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Douglas fir is a harder wood than cedar. The hand held will want to make the taper rip more than cut. It's just the way of the beast. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cedar or Sitka spruce or any if the other named shafts as long as you get them from a quality supplier. A lot of sponsors will put the tapers on for you for a small fee. If you go douglas fir I recommend Braveheart archery. Tim will take good care of you as well as many of the sponsors on this site.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
even if i dont like them $100 (ll the supplies and stuff estimate) is a lot of money for a 14 year ol kid with a steady job....
This is true, But only the taper tool is for wood only. The rest of the stuff to make arrows can be used for carbons & Aluminum arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©