3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood Arrows  (Read 891 times)

Offline bulldog42

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood Arrows
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
i have been shooting gold tip traditionals arrows and im running low so its time to buy me some new arrows. i was just looking around and i was just wanting some input on what all you guys think of wood arrows. the pro's and con's and also what type of wood is best. also if you recommend a certain brand or anything info what-so-ever. thank you for any input!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood Arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Con's - more work to make then up and tuning, Not as tuff as carbons.

Pro's - They are wood, They have a Soul, More pride when they are self made and take game.

I like My Ash shaft from Raptor Archery, Other like different woods from the other Sponsors.

Offline polarbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Don't know  what part of Kansas you are in. I'D give Mike a call at The Nocking Point. Or go by he is in Winchester,Ks.You won't meet a nicer guy or better custmor service!!
Does your train of thought Have a caboose?

Offline bob roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
i shoot only wood from my longbows.  they work!  there is something magical about the smell of poc.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I only shoot wood also, to me it's traditional and I like that.But it's only my opinion.   :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
I switched over to woods a while back and love them. i still have carbons. but only use them for stumping if im shooting a target or an animal its wood. something magical about the way they "float" through the air . i use cedar. and i like it. have some spruce too. but i havent been able to tune them. ordered em to stiff. my fault not the arrow. give er a whirl. if u get some correctly tuned woods. prolly wont be looking at carbons anymore. unless like me you use them to stump

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
i have cedar,bamboo,aluminum,fluted,glass,carbon,
but my favorites are the hex shafts from whispering wind,very forgiving and accurate,check it out!

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:26:00 AM »
I shoot primarily wood from my longbows. Ceder from Howard Hill and footed hexshafts from whisperingwind by Bob Burton.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »
Love wood arrows! Love making them, love shooting them. Love smelling them when they break. Lately I have been shooting cane and bamboo arrows. Love them too. Natures carbon.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
I was a complete naysayer when it came to woods. Thought they were stupid and for elitist snobs. lol I've come a long way.

There are no cons for wooden arrows as long as you enjoy making them. I love making them more than I love shooting them. Also, they aren't as hard to keep straight as most would have you believe and they are forgiving when slightly bent.

If you have reservations, order a set from an experienced arrow builder like Rick from  www.thefeatheredshaft.com.  He loves to talk arrow building.

I'm convinced that the majority of people who can't get them to fly straight do not start out with the right spine to begin with. An experienced professional can help you avoid that mistake.

Also, I was a diehard Heritage 350 carbon shooter because of the durability they provided and I can honestly say that I've had better experiences stumping with a wooden shaft. Carbons are okay stumpers when footed, but tend to split at the ends. Especially on the insert. A solid wood shaft can take one hell of a beating. People really don't give them enough credit.

However...I am shooting a 23/64" diameter arrow with an 80# spine.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline obsidian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
If this is your first set of woodies you have to get port orford cedar!  The smell is half the fun.  When they break you get a little treat!   I used to love going into Northwest Archery and the instant smell of cedar in the air... it was magic!  
The only thing about wood arrows that bugs me is the tip breaks off a lot when you hit anything hard.  My Dad has recently been making some footed arrows and they seem to be about as tough as nails.  We haven't broken a tip yet but will occasionally loose a point.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
I love wood! I enjoy making them and they tune very easy. Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I Also am a Wood Lover!! I have been making My Own Arrows since I went back to Sticks & Strings!! I Love to Make Them, Time Well Spent in My Opinion! I shoot Ramin 5/16 Dowels, yep....the kind you can get at Wally World! Takes some Extra time getting them Straight, but they tend to Stay Straight! Tough as nails, and Fly like Darts!!  :archer:  
   Like I said, The Fun is in Making Them!! A Fine Winter Project, or while ya watch TV!!  THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!   :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline bulldog42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
polarbear- i live in very southeastern kansas but i have heard great things about the nocking point. me and dad just need to find time and go over there sometime.

thanks you so much for all of your help guys! it has helped me a lot. the reason i am looking into wood arrows is because me and dad have a few traditionals but my by far favorite is a hickory selfbow with a traditional grip with a leather shelf on the side, anyway im down to three arrows for this bow and we are running into problems finding a carbon arrow that will work for my bow. i still have a few questions though and these probably wont be the last.
    what is footing a shaft?
   my bow i shoot is rated #45 at 28". do i need to buy shafts rated #40-#45 or #45-#50?
   you guys talked about how great it is when you break off a shaft. im in high school still so i dont have the largest supply of money since i have to buy my own gear so i want to avoid breaking shafts to much.
    also, as far as tuning, what do you have to do? you all talked about having to straighten them but how do you do this? any help and info about the tuning process would be greatly appreciated.

once again thank you all for all the info you have given so far! it is very appreciated. sorry for the bombing of questions, i like to thouroughly research something before i fully commit to doing it. thank for all the help and keep it coming!

Offline bulldog42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
sorry, wont let me delete this post. oops!

Offline Joshua Long

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Maybe it is just me, but my wood arrows are quite a bit quieter to shoot than carbon and aluminum.  It could just be my lack of tuning skills though.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Shot nothing but wood for many years.Second the above post about calling Mike at The Nocking Point
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Joshua Long:
Maybe it is just me, but my wood arrows are quite a bit quieter to shoot than carbon and aluminum.  It could just be my lack of tuning skills though.
Could possibly be they are heavier than your old ones, which will make the whole shot quieter.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 04:14:00 AM »
Surewood Shafts from Braveheart Archery ,Doug Fur.
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
"Fur"??? These aren't pelts we're talking about, they're wood......Douglas Fir.   :laughing:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©