3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quivers...  (Read 884 times)

Offline Daniel F.

• Trad Bowhunter
Quivers...
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
I'm very new to archery, particularly traditional.  I have a Martin Mamba, and I'm wanting to get a good quiver for it.  I'm leaning towards a strap on, what is a good brand to get?  

What are some some of the advantages or disadvantages to a bow-mounted quiver vs. a back or hip slung one?  Or is that just personal preference?  

I've really been enjoying all the information to be found here on Tradgang, it's great!  Thanks for making this such clean, friendly atmosphere.  

~Daniel~
"My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me."
~Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson~

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quivers...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Great Northern.

Bow mounted quivers are bulky, add weight and are attention getters to game if you use desireable bright fletching colors.  Some make the bow nosier, while others can deaden a bow's noise a bit.

Advantages are you don't forget the quiver and a follow-up shot is easily available.

(I like side quivers)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
I don't like a quiver on my bow, I am going to go with the Asbel quiver.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
As far as a strap on quiver, I would direct you to the Kanati brand which can be purchased from one of several Trad Gang Sponsors here. As to your question of strap-on 'vs' hip 'vs' back quiver, you are correct in saying that it is personal preference. That should be apparent by the different responses you will get here to that question.  :archer:

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Great Northern, EFA
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Get used to an attached bow quiver & try to shoot w/o it. Just 1 more necessary item that can go wrong. Used them all. Now BQ's only.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I have used Great Northern, Kanati, and EFA bow quivers they all worked well.

I also have come to prefer a side quiver.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Get a "Thunderboa",a tube of Barge cement and a chunk of buckskin/leather/polarfleece,(your choice), and glue it on the hood,(for camo and noise) and you have the best bang for the buck quiver in my humble opinion.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Oh,I wanted to add that quivers and what you like are a very personal thing.So you need to try some out to see what works for you.For me and hunting that is, a bow quiver is the only way to go.Others would highly disagree.Its just what I like.Hard to argue with the ol G.Fred Asbell method as well.I love a good back quiver when just out nocking around,but hunting with one,Im tangled up half the time and an arrow yardsale the rest of the time.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Great northern
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
i use a selway slip on, on my recurve and like it. does the job.

for my long bow i have coming in im going to get on from bigjim archery. they looks great and are priced well.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline captainkirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by chanumpa:
I love a good back quiver when just out nocking around,but hunting with one,Im tangled up half the time and an arrow yardsale the rest of the time.
Yeah, I can manage the second just shooting in the backyard...

I'm hoping as I get older my coordination will get better. (40 is not too late, right?)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
efa  - ultra light, great prices, great folks to deal with - and a trad gang sponsor.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
 efa  - ultra light, great prices, great folks to deal with - and a trad gang sponsor.

A big plus one, you won't find better folks to deal with.

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
I've used the Great Northern strap on with my recurve & it works great.Can remove it easily when in a treestand & hang it on a hook.I never noticed any problems shooting my bow while the quiver was attached.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
I like bow quivers for carrying arrows to and from my tree stand. I want one that quickly detaches as soon as I get set in the stand so I can take it off and hang or tie it to a limb. I prefer the bow unencumbered while in the tree and not having to worry about arrows (especially fletching) bumping things as I prepare to take a shot. I've used bow quivers that stay on the bow in which case I practice with the quiver and arrows in place.

I prefer quivers that fit in the riser inserts or on quick detach devices under limb bolts.

The most convenient bow quiver (for quick detach) I've used is the new ArrowWeb by Mathews. This quiver (made for compounds) uses a special, circular bracket attached to two riser inserts (like a Kwikee quiver uses). You simply twist the quiver on or off. They come in 3, 5, and 7 arrow versions. Of course you can get a Kwikee, Bobcat or Lynx that works in much the same way (two closely spaced insert holes) for about 1/3rd the cost of the Mathews. I have the 5-arrow Arrowweb on "The Stick" recurve I hunted with this year. It doesn't feel as "traditional" since it is all metal and plastic.

I'm not a fan of the ones that have bulky brackets that slip over the bow limbs. I haven't used the strap on type but I have one coming in a bow sell/trade from a Trad Ganger tomorrow. It is a Great Northern.  I have two other Great Northerns that I really like.

I have a back quiver, (Catquiver) that I bought for hunts that involve miles of walking (such as elk in the west).  This one is mostly for carrying extra arrows besides those that would be in my bow quiver.

I've used hip quivers (a long time ago). They keep your bow clean of extra weight, potential noise, and flash. However, I hunt areas with interior fences and brush. I was constantly hanging the quiver up on "stuff" -- I even lost an arrow or two from this quiver -- pulled out by brush.

I bought my son a recurve for his birthday. I put a riser insert-mounted Thunderhorn on that bow for him. So you can see what I like -- I wouldn't put something other than my recommendation on my son's bow.

Whatever quiver you get, if it uses rubber grabbers, make sure the grabbers fit your arrows. Lots of grabbers are for "fat" arrows and many of today's carbon arrows are "skinny". You can get replacement grabbers.

Offline JrsyBowHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
i have tried a few different ones and always end up with a great northern on my bow
Steven Siegert

Offline Karebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
I sold my Kanati quiver only because I decided I don't want a quiver on my bow. It was beautiful in design, function and craftmanship. I probably should have kept it in case I change my mind some day.
I've been thinking that I want to keep everything light and simple, and have been looking for a compact side quiver. (I just can't reach around my back like I used to.) Anybody have experience with the Bow Mate Elite?
Thanks!
Kanati 60" 48#@29"
Kanati 60" 38#@29"
There are only two types of leaders. Those bloated by power, and those humbled by responsibility.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Great Northern hands down in my opinion
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Add me to Eagle Flight Archery group.  Best I've owned.  Small, light, and gorgeous.  Mine has the black beavertail.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©