3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bowhunting for swamp deer  (Read 813 times)

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bowhunting for swamp deer
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Get hip waders and find a funnel of dry narrow land between two areas of water and get ready to shoot.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by hova:
as for crossings , very few people will cross even a small creek if they cant jump it or knock a small tree down. i always carry duct tape and 2 50 gallon trash bags. lightweight instant hip boots.

pull trash bag up , wrap around thigh with duct , wrap around knee once to keep it snug. wrap around top of boot , and run a piece or two over the sole of your boot area to keep from poking through the bag. i like to do the sole pieces first , then wrap around the ankle/boot and this keeps it all snug.
That is a *really* good idea.  Thanks for posting that!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
A good pair of hip waders have helped bring home lots of pork and deer for me.I do most of my hunting on food and swamp hunting is 90% of my hunting. An island with some swamp chestnuts dropping is as sweet as it gets where I hunt. Early season swamp persimmons and late season water oaks...Always good hunting in the swamp.RC

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
This is a good post for me.  My favorit public land is just a few acers and I access it by boat. Shot my first trad deer this year. I saw deer every time I hunted and was blown away at how many deer got wet to come to the whitoaks.  It was a lot more work with the boat and all.  Not many people want to go through that effort and the deer know it.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Get hip waders and find a funnel of dry narrow land between two areas of water and get ready to shoot.
Down here where there is a lot of swamp, that is kind of counter intuitive. You have to treat water like dry land, because the deer won't go out of the way to avoid it unless it is an open area, such as crossing a river. Deer go through water pretty readily.

So, if you find a strip of land that is thick and the water is open, then your advice holds, but if you find that the water is thick with willows and the woods are more open, then the water might be the best place to set up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©