3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First arrow purchase  (Read 430 times)

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
First arrow purchase
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
I am a Newbie waiting for my 40# take down samick to arrive and need help ordering arrows. I've a 27(ish)" draw, thought 125 grain heads would give me a bit of momentum for eventual hunting (3d this summer, out of hunting season in France). The Easton chart recommends 2018's. Reading the posts I could find it appears that you guys (and girls) think the chart is way off for trad archery. How do I find how off-centre cut my samick sht is? I will probably use fluffy Velcro as a rest. I don't have the luxury of a club or other archers near to test drive different weight arrows. I will have to get into fletching too as I am sure there will be alot of fletching damage in the foreseeable months. Is a helical or right or straight on best to start (and continue) with. Would small 2 inch helical blazer vanes be any good for my set up, or should I use longer/4" vanes or feathers  . Can I avoid buying different weight shafts just to experiment as budget is very tight? The thought of having the bow sitting here with no arrows would drive me bonkers, so I need arrows winging their way to me( pun intended) as soon as possible. Many thanks in advance.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First arrow purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »
Do a search on here for Stu's Calculator.  Probably the best tool on my bench for taking the guess work out of arrow set up.....saving you money in the process.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
Don't I need the cut past centre measurement? I tried looking earlier today, but didn't have time to download it on my better halfs PC as I use a Mac ( very trad eh!). I anticipated buying heavier limbs (50#), the legal hunting min here is 40 and I don't draw a full 28" more like 27 1/2". This will mean much stiffer arrows to I presume?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
drphoto,  Which Samic are you getting?/  The new calculator has four listed.  Need model.  But yes, 2018s WILL be way too stiff for your 45@28, pulled to 27 your will have a draw weight of about 42/43#.  Since you mention 2018s I presume you want aluminum arrows and I think you'll find the 1916s to be about right.  We can run the Stu calculator if we know which Samic bow you are getting.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
It is a 40# samick hunter take down. Hopefully he has it listed. If 1916 are the ones what size heads? Still 5/16ths (slightly bigger than the shaft),  And what weight, the heavier the head the more flexing isn't it? I thought of aluminum because of cost and being new to all this thought would probably trash them in a short space of time. I intend to get heavier limbs if/when I have the form to shoot more poundage. The perfect solution for me would be the strongest heaviest arrows the bow could shoot now with lighter heads and replace the heads with the new heavier limbs later if that's at all possible. I don't know the physics involved so lease excuse me if that's ridiculous .
Thanks again

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
The Samic Hunter isn't listed in the calculator but the 4 that are all have the same measurement for center cut .  SOOO I come up with 1916s cut to 28.5 to the base of the point(BOP).  145 grain points and yes 5/16 points will be fine with the 1916s.

As far as heavier limbs, you can do that but you will need to DECREASE point weight and/or shorten the shafts for these to work well..  

I suggest if you are just starting, that the 28.5 BOP to start will give you some "wiggle room" down the road.

Remember that these are approximations and that you will have to still fiddle with it.  But again, if you are just starting, worry more about form and shot execution.  Later when you have your form down will be the time to worry about fine tuning the arrows.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
A million thanks, I couldn't get the program to run on our laptop. Time to look at the big auctionsite.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Is this bow 40# @ 28" or at your 27" draw?

Your draw is similar to mine, and I would try 1816 arrows cut to 28". You should use feathers for your setup, three 4" feathers would be more than adequate.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
It's 40@28. Probably 37 at my draw

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
I stand by my silly wild-asped guess.

Killdeer   :goldtooth:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
take it to a pro shop in your area and do some bare shaft testing that will give you a better idea
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I found a great deal of benefit from making sure the nocks are sanded down to where they just barely stay on the string and using four fletch setup with a helical offset.

Once your form is consistent then you can mess with straight feathers, or less of them.

Don't do what I did and struggle for weeks only to find out the nocks are too tight - a real flight killer.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Ron & Dog
I would love to but there isn't a pro shop around here. I even ended up getting the bow sent from Germany as the French ones are double the price and the sales/ aftersales here for most things isn't good. We have come across the odd decent company(for house building not archery) but they are very few and far between . Hence me being on this forum

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
I would suggest a .600 spine for 40 lb.
Gold Tip has the 1535 and the Entrada 600.
John

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
Samick bows have different center cuts. Here are the numbers used in stu's calculator

Depending on   which model  of the hunting bow you bought the center cut may be different.

If you go to    Stu\\'s Dynamic Calculator page
you can download the directions which included detailed information on how to measure for center cut.

Les Heilakka
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline mand0ralen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
hey Drphoto,

dont forget that your arrow should weight at least 30 grammes to hunt in France,

plus, if you go shooting in "Parcours Nature", the same limit apply in the bowhunter division.

would recommend a 2016 at 28,5 with 125 gr head. with that, you should just reach the 30 grams limit.

If you want good cheap Alu arrows, try at Frere Loup, the Gamegatter 500 (2016) was at 2,8 euros if order by the dozen and the shipping costs are acceptable.

just mail me if you need help (in French hopefully^^).

++M

Offline drphoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Great, my bow arrived today. It is better than I expected. The finish isn't flawless, but for the price I wouldn't complain. I should have gone for a higher poundage as it is very easy to draw and hold for a while. I have ordered ready made arrows to simplify things. I shot a 500 arrow that was around the house and they appeared to fly very well considering the bow was straight out of the box and the string only had a few twists in it. Now I have to wait until the new ones arrive as the test arrow glanced off the ground after passing through the target to be lost forever in the undergrowth on our bank. I thought two layers of 8 inch thick foam sponge would be enough, obviously not..... Oh I am going to enjoy shooting this alot, the power is awesome compared to what I have been shooting. Many thanks for all the help. I will try and stop smiling now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©