3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody else like slow, quiet and forgiving?  (Read 975 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody else like slow, quiet and forgiving?
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
I few years ago I sold a Dwyer 64" original longbow. It had bamboo cores, bocote veneers, a bocote riser with a black ebony arch. Man it was gorgeous.  I have regretted selling it ever since. A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to buy it back!(Thanks Bob!) I picked it up from the post office, set the BH and took it hunting the same afternoon. I took a nice doe with it that very evening. She was in the field with 3 others and they never had a clue. The doe I shot did not even know she was hit until she fell over within site. I forgot how smooth, quiet and forgiving a D bow is to shoot. I ended up taking 2 more does with the bow before the season ended. I guess something else I realized is speed is not what it is cracked up to be! I  would rather have a slow, quiet forgiving bow any day. I think I just realized that D bows just fit my style better!

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody else like slow, quiet and forgiving?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Quiet is important to me.  Forgiving is nice in case of a poor release or other "outside force".  

I can do without searching specifically for slow.  I have enough slow to suit me in all my bows.  Stability and accuracy are more important, but speed is welcome when it comes along.    :biglaugh:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Here is a picture!

please resize all posted pics no wider than 640

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x29/chopncut/Dwyer1-2.jpg[/IMG]

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
I have recurve and longbows, actually to many, but I find myself always leaning towards an old Mahaska that I have that just shoot so nice. 66" 46# @ 28, I draw 29". "D" shaped, smooth ,and silent. Not real fast but it is just a joy to shoot!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
A bow can be quiet, forgiving, and fast. As far as the speed argument goes I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement that speed is overrated. Everyone will agree that the most important aspect of bow hunting is accuracy, a trait that will trump many other problems. The faster your bow the flatter the trajectory, which in turn is easier to aim. I say speed is the among the most important traits as it directly attributes to shot accuracy.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Thousands of Archers before us proved this style over and over,somethings just can't be made better.Speed is just one factor in the overall picture,many more important things come into play in hunting situations.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
I like a heavy, front of center arrow set up. 95% of all my hunting shots are within 20 yards, most are inside 15 yards. The heavier arrow makes the D bow quieter, and slower, but on the flip side the deer never hear it coming and  I almost always get a pass through!

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Slayer,

my go to bow is a 66 inch mohwak, D shaped bow.  It is 54 pounds at my 30 inch draw.  I used to shoot my Tolke Whip 48 @ 30 and it is so quiet and smooth.  IT screams as well!!  But I seem to alway have the less pretty, slower D shaped bow in my hand when chasing deer.  I just love the bow.  It is quiet, slower but I would not say slow, loves heavy arrows and the last deer I shot with it never knew it.  She walked away 60 yards, laid down, looked around, put her head sown and died quietly.  Complete pass through by the way.

I love my D bow!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
I'd love FAST, quiet, and forgiving.
I settle for slow, quiet and forgiving...and accurate for me.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I prefer a quiet bow to a noisy bow. I have two recurves and since I don't take a shot over 20 yards, speed isn't a factor for me so both bows shoot very heavy arrows. My accuracy isn't due to speed. It's due to the low poundage bows I shoot.

I wanted a very heavy arrow with very little arrow drop between 10 and 20 yards and the arrow had to make the bow quiet. This is why my 42# take down recurve shoots a 637 grain arrow at 153 fps. With this very heavy arrow, my bow is so whisper quiet upon arrow release, it doesn't need and has no string silencers on it. The very heavy arrow, on a broadside lung shot, goes through a deer like a hot knife goes through butter via a pass through.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
QUESTION:What are some good traditional shaped(D?)longbows, besides the Dwyer? Especially ones with locator type grips(I can't shoot the broom handle style grip)
Thanks

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Great Northern makes an excellent one called the traditional.I haven't shot one but I also admire the longbows by Jay St Charles.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Take a look at Lynn Harrelson Achery, a sponsor here, makes a very good bow at a reasonable price. I own one and trying to get the bucks for another.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by tarponnut:
QUESTION:What are some good traditional shaped(D?)longbows, besides the Dwyer? Especially ones with locator type grips(I can't shoot the broom handle style grip)
Thanks
you want, er, you need to get yer hands on a  mohawk!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Tarponnut,

Mohawk bows are super and lot of guys talk about them on this site.  Also, Dan Tolke makes a clasic longbow D shaped , truley excellent.  I believe apex predator, makes a great D bow as well.  These all have locator grips, are extremely well made, and are affordable with as good of performance as you can get with this style of bow.

Good luck.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Quiet, heavy arrows, that's me. I shoot arrows that weigh 700 gr total and barely hear a thump out of my Apex Predator longbow. My bow is plenty quick. I am sure it is not super fast with those heavy arrows, but the deer never know how fast it's going  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the story. Never figured I sacrificed speed but then never worried about it either. Never chrono'ed my bows. Good lesson here S1.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Great story!  Slow, quiet, and forgiving aren't bad traits for hunters, either!!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
I'm 100% happy with the speed I'm getting out of my recurves because they feel great in my hand during the whole shot process & seem to me to be very forgiving & quiet.

If any of my bows are pushing over 180 it's only because I over drew them which suits me because as long as I hit what I'm shooting at I'm happy.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
I cant see the picture  :banghead:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©