3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: easiest way to increase FOC  (Read 548 times)

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
easiest way to increase FOC
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
I shoot 2216 easton aluminum arrows and have about a 100 shafts so I am not going to go to different arrow. They fly good and usally pass thru deer no problem.

However after reading alot of the stuff on here I would like to experiment on increasing shaft weight and FOC %. I use bear razor heads and have a lot of them and have always had good success with them so thats not going to change either.

My draw is around 29 inches my arrows are currently 31ish (I need to check).Most of my 100 shafts are full length so I can change that to what ever would tune best,and I use a four fletch 5 1/2 RH feathers.

My three bows are all in the 66-69 lb range at 28 inches.

SO my question is with these limitations is there any simple ways to increase the FOC with my existing 2216's.

I know its not necessary but I also think anything I can do to improve penetration is a plus no matter how little that improvement would be.

I hunt whitetails and elk and have a self imposed 25 yard limit on game animals most of my many deer kills have been at 1/2 that.

Thanks

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: easiest way to increase FOC
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
You could try brass insert.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I think it will be hard for you to increase FOC since you're shooting aluminum arrows.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Where do you get them and do they make them for this arrow, my existing ones are aluminum.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Three Rivers does have some brass inserts for aluminium arrows. You can also use heavier adapters in your broadhead. Any weight added to the front of your shaft will decrese the dynamic spine. It may take some tuning and you may have to shorten your shaft a little if you have room to do so.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
what's your FOC% now with  that setup ?
Paul

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
As Ferret suggested, the steel broadhead adapters are probably the easiest solution. Sounds like you have enough length on your current shafts so that you will (able to cut them down to tune them to handle the new weight.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
I shoot very heavy aluminum arrows. My 42" bow shoots a 637 grain 2117 arrow which gives me a 15.16 GPP (grains per pound) arrow, but it's only 15.4% FOC.

My 37# bow shoots a 550 grain 2114 arrow which gives me 14.86 GPP ( grains per pound) arrow, but it's only 16.2% FOC.

Now, someone can correct me, but if you add more tip weight to an aluminum arrow, you weaken the spine. Since spine is weaker, the arrow has to be cut shorter. This will increase FOC, but it's also going to increase GPP (grains per pound) as well.

If you want to substantially increase FOC without making a huge increase in GPP, shooting carbon arrows is the way to go.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
I dont have a clue what my current FOC is I think I'll just try the brass inserts and experiment with my shaft length if needed.

or maybe I'll just leave well enough alone...

thanks for the advice though

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Attach heavier points/heads.

Why do you feel you need heavier FoC?  It hasn't been an issue since Agincourt.  The short, square bodkin of c.1415 weighed about what the Bear Razorhead does.      :biglaugh:

So, you increase head weight, reduce effective spine and then need stiffer arrows.  Chasing your tail.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by bobman:
I dont have a clue what my current FOC is I think I'll just try the brass inserts and experiment with my shaft length if needed.

The brass inserts will increase FOC, and/or the screw-in BH adaptors for glue-on heads will add 75-125 grains up front, too. You could, potentially, add 225 grains with both.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
You know what they say, if it ain't broke........

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by bobman:

You need to find out what your FOC is "now" with your 2216s. Your 2216s weigh 12 GPI (grains per inch). My 2117s weigh 12 GPI (grains per inch). You're already shooting a heavy arrow and I suspect your GPP (grains per pound) is already high. Probably between 10-12 GPP. In other words, with your 2216s, what you gain in FOC is going to increase GPP which is going to give you a slower arrow in terms of fps (feet per second). Find out what your GPP is as well. Then, shoot your arrows with the higher tip weight for FOC and see how much arrow drop there is with the increased GPP at the yardages you usually shoot at live game.

If you don't shoot past 20 yards, you might like the 2216s arrows with the higher FOC, but slower in speed.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Here is a simple little trick to bump it up some.  Use 4 inch - 4 fletch in RH.  They have the same surface control area as 3 - 5 inch fletch.  Plenty to control that arrow and broadhead.  

If your want to get serious about FOC your gonna have to change to carbon shafts.  If you want to bump it up a bit then go to a heavier adapter and smaller fletch.  More weight up front and less in back = more foc.  On the other hand if what you have is working, is it worth the headache of having to relearn your arrow trajectory?  I use EFOC arrows since I hunt elk, and bear on an annual basis.  If I only hunted  deer I would not worry about it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Until FOC meets and/or exceeds 19% you will not be able to discern a measureable difference. Of my limited experience, 25% is extremely noticeable and 32% is an eye opener.

The easeiest way to achieve EFOC and Ultra-EFOC, of which I am aware, of is to start with Victory Forve HV shafts.

400 - 6.2 gpi
350 - 6.7 gpi
300 - 6.9 gpi
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
3 Rivers sells the PDP weight system.  I have used them and they work fine.  But they have some things to note.

First, they require you buy special inserts that are threaded so you can screw the weights in behind the insert.  They are pretty cheap, though.

Since these are behind the insert you get more FOC and the spine is weakened but it is not weakened as much as if the weight was forward more.

Also, they tend to spin themselves loose.  I just put a glob of wax on them when I install the insert and weights.  Adds a couple more grains but not a lot and it keeps them from loosening.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
The quickest, easiest, and cheapest way I know to increase FOC to "just see what happens", is to insert either a bullet of the correct weight/diameter (if you know someone who handloads they're easy to get) behind the insert and hot melt glue it in place, or do the same with a few lead pellet gun pellets.  You may also try a piece of brass brazing rod from a welding supply store.  

Rigging 2 or 3 arrows in this "down and dirty" test will at least let you see how the arrows react without a lot of time and money invested.
Dan Brockman

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Another vote for the heavy steel broadhead adapter.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Bobman,

Here's an idea that I can't take credit for.  I was shooting some 2117's that I bought.  I broke one found why they were shooting so well.  Behind the insert was a screw shaft.  It had been screwed into the back of the insert, I imagine some glue had been used.  The head had been cut off and electrical tape had been added to take up the space.  Needless to say I've taken out all my inserts on my arrows and have copied this idea.  The screw was about 1 1/2" long and it added about 110-115 grains.  According to Stu's calculator it's just what the doctor ordered.  Good luck.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Glad to read that, fdlz58! I bought a handful of screws the other day to put in my inserts if 100 grains of insert and 300 grains of BH isn't enough...but haven't cut the screw heads off yet.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©