3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: easiest way to increase FOC  (Read 547 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: easiest way to increase FOC
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
There are brass inserts, threaded weights you can install on the backside of the inserts, brass washers that fit between the insert and the broadhead, OR if your broadheads are of the two part construction, like zwickeys are, you can remove the threaded part, melt some lead into the hollow of the broadhead, then glue the insert part back in.

You can also foot the arrow with a larger diameter shaft.

Many options.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
What do you mean by..screw insert?  Mike
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
I mean  screw shaft?  sorry
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
About 1/4" of threads are left in the insert once a head is screwed in. You can buy screws at the hardware store that will screw into the remaining threads in the insert, and cut off the head of the screw (which won't fit into the arrow shaft)...thereby leaving only the shaft (threaded part) of the screw. A 3.5" screw shaft will add 95-115 grains behind the insert. Make sense?
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Well now, there's a snifty little trick that I had never heard of. Good job guys, I'll store that in my "Note to Self" folder for use on down the road.   :thumbsup:  

Here's a thought, couldn't you do the same thing with a small 75gr. field point? If it would fit inside the diameter of the arrow shaft, and if it wouldn't you could always turn them down with a file until the right wt. and diameter was achieved. I know it probably wouldn't work with carbon shafts but it's entirely doable with aluminum.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
My 51# @ 28 w/1/8 cut past cent likes a Dynamic Spine of ~46#’s

There are three options that work for me.

Option 1
Victory HV350 28.5” has total. wt of 608 grains and 32.4% Ultra-EFOC
(100gn insert/300gn pt)

Option 2
Victory HV350 29.5” has total. wt of 565 grains and 30.1% Ultra-EFOC
(50gn insert/300gn pt)

Option 3
Victory HV400 29.0” has total. wt of 515 grains and 29.9% EFOC
(18gn insert/300gn pt)

The plan is to go with option 1.

Note: My FOC percentages are slightly higher than Stu's calculator since my fletchings are located 2.1"s from the nock throat.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
Three Rivers does have some brass inserts for aluminium arrows. You can also use heavier adapters in your broadhead. Any weight added to the front of your shaft will decrese the dynamic spine. It may take some tuning and you may have to shorten your shaft a little if you have room to do so.
This is your answer!

Bisch

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
The problem is,they don't make a 100 gr brass insert to fit 2216's.

I think you are shooting yourself in the foot by insisting on using the aluminum shafts you already have.I stubbornly tried the same thing but finally wised up,sold the aluminums and got carbons that would do what I wanted.

I think with the spine of your arrows and the heavy weight of your bows,you won't be able to get enough front end weight and still be tuned,to increase FOC enough to make a difference.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Friend:
25% is extremely noticeable and 32% is an eye opener.
hey Friend, may I ask what you mean by eye opener?

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 02:31:00 AM »
screamin -

1. The Ultra-EFOC arrows have been the easiest for me to bareshaft tune. Normally, I have to perform some minor adjusting for BH's. I have had to make no ajustment so far. The Big 3's fly better than any of my numerous previous set-ups. They visably appear to correct much quicker than my 25% EFOC set-up. I actually had thought that I had the optimum arrow at 25% EFOC because I could measure the improvements. When moving up to Ultra-EFOC, the benefits became obvious.

2. They hit a bag as if I was shooting a significantly heavier set-up. Bag targets don't like them. Average bag targets wear out in less than half the time as when I was shooting normal FOC.

3. The Big 3's (1 1/2 dia) dig deeper in my rhinehart  18 in 1 than when I was shooting 2 blade heads with similar wt and @ 4#'s heavier draw and @ 22% EFOC. I believe that the Rhineharts 1 yr warranty could be easily challenged.

5. Just pulling shafts w/field points from a foam target has become a greater challenge and I am more selective of which type targets I practise with. Never did this before.

Many benefits on paper generate sales and yet we may never truely experience the improvement. In no way do I state this is gospel, however I can easily discern the benefits of Ultra-EFOC instead having to take for granted what is on paper.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©