3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SW Michigan resources for a Newbie?  (Read 277 times)

Offline ChaserMI

• Trad Bowhunter
SW Michigan resources for a Newbie?
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Greetings from Burnips MI,

I'm a new convert to the traditional archery world.  I guess gun season just isn't long enough anymore.  Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on where to go in Western Michigan for Traditional Archery supplies and assistance.  Internet isn't an option yet because I want to get fitted for the right size/weight bow. I've only been able to locate a few recurves at the local stores and most of the folks I've talked to are scratching their heads when they find out I don't want a compound.  I've already gotten a ton of info from reading this site but I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.  I don't mind taking a drive, just looking for some direction.

Thanks,

Mike

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SW Michigan resources for a Newbie?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Mike I would go to the trad archery show in Kalamazoo in late January.All kinds of gear for trad archery and alot of bowyers and vendors in attendace with booths set up where you can try b ows and ask questions etc.

I would also go to Barrien springs in Late june fro the Compton rendouvous.Same deal.Bowyers and trad archery gear and shooting range to tryout the bows as well as a 3-D shooting course to have fun on.You gotta go!

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Check the thread in Pow Wow titled "New Bows and Products at KaZoo".Thiers a thread thier and one of the responses has a link you can click on for more info.You would love the show and its definatly worth your time to attend

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
You must go to the Kzoo expo.  If you are a ways south you can go to Sturgis to Lost Nations.  If you are more north you can try the shop at Sand Lake.  Bob's gun and tackle in Hastings has more trad bows than any other non trad shop I know about, but I don't know how good the help is.  I would also be happy to help out if you want to give me a call or stop in if you are in the area.  There are others in SW MI as well.  There are also some great boyers not to far away.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Kzoo is in 3 weeks... plan to attend and you'll get all the direction you'll need.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Like others have said, go to the K-zoo show.    :thumbsup:    

I don't live far from ya, Mike.  Bobs Gun and Tackle in Hastings carries a decent amount of trad bows including St. Joe River Bows. They are off M-179. They have a couple guys there who shoot stickbows and a short target range to test on.

Try coming out to the Great Lakes Longbow Invitational at Charleton Park in August! It's close and a ton of fun.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Hi Mike, You can try Connie's Custom Arrows, she is on the north side of Jenison just around the corner from me here in Hudsonville. Her email is [email protected] If she does not have it stocked she can get it.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
For sure come down to Kalamazoo expo New and used there and all the supplies you can ever want. Also Larry at Lost Nations has a great inventory. You can find his info in the Sponsors section
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Lost Nation is somewhere by you. Maybe Sturgis MI.?
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline shedhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
a few miles east of Sturgis.   ron

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Hi Mike!
You had the same problem as I did for several years...no trad stuff available in your area.  I am from Holland (now in China) and have family in Burnips!   Small world.

Definitely go to the expo in Kzoo!  I would not miss that for all the tea in China....ha!  But I will this year.  There you will see and be able to try a ton of bows.  Be sure to put aside lots of time for this experience...and take some money with you.  You will see many of the worlds best bowyers.  

There are lots of TG guys here that will be there...many from around your area I'm sure.  Try to hook-up with some of them...they can help you with making good decisions.  

You might try posting a thread here to help you find someone.

Good luck!

Tony

Offline ChaserMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Wow!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Mike

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
Lost Nation, Larry and Janice are great folks to deal with.

Tom up in Sand Lake at Traditional supplies is another good person to deal with.

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Not South West Michigan, but Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare stocks a fair amount of tradgear.

Jason

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
The Kazoo and Compton events really are the way to go!

Best in the country.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Traditional Outdoor Supply in Sand Lake. About 20 minutes north of GR, 2 minutes off 131. Tom is the best.
  http://www.traditionaloutdoorsupply.com/

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
http://www.lostnationarchery.com/

Here is Larry's web site
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Tom at traditional outdoor supply has helped me out a couple times. He's good to work with and real nice to boot.

I'm hoping to be at the Kzoo show on Sat.

Brian

Offline Mason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
Mike,

Like everybody said -you want to attend K-zoo and Comptons.

But in the mean time I'm going to let you know about a place where you can go and get started.
Wed. nights at 7 pm in downtown Otsego above Bob's Hardware - west of the red light,south side of the street,only place on the 2nd story that will have the lights on.

All you need to do is show up,have a thick skin - bow is optional.If you don't have one someone there will and help you get started. We have 10 lanes and usually 25-40 shooters.Cost is a whopping 3 bucks and whatever verbal abuse you can handle ! Seriously, lots of knowledge and guys willing to help get you started in the right direction.

Mason

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Bob, your letting out our secret hinding spot!!  LOL

Mike, if you need help with anything let me know.  I live in Holland and have been at this game for a while.  Good luck and hopefully we can get together and shoot sometime.  

Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©