3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HELP! ..Removing overspray?  (Read 188 times)

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
HELP! ..Removing overspray?
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
what is the safest thing to use to remove overspray and paint. i have a set of limbs that have one coat of flat black on top of the original coating, these are target ilf limbs. the black was sprayed straight on...no sanding or scuffing. what is best for this type of removal?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HELP! ..Removing overspray?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Will You be re-painting the limbs? If so just sand the paint off and whip clean, Then re-paint..

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
no im not gonna be repainting. this is gonna be my tournament bow so the silver paint wont bother me or any animals:)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
It's going to depend what kind of paint and what the original bow finish was.  If it was a paint intended for bow camo you might try mineral spirits or turpentine.  Test a spot first.  

If you put enamel on top of urethane or polyurethane - you're on your own.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Goof Off will do the trick.

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
from what i was told it is just regular rattle can on top of whatever type of clear coat win/win puts on there limbs...but like i said it is only one coat with no prep work done before they sprayed the black

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
You can try very light scraping.  I'll use the sharp edge of a knife or even a disposable Stanley box cutter blade.  Work very lightly and it won't hurt the underlying surface.  Then go to light 600 grit sand paper to clean up residual paint.  Anyway that's what I do as I'm afraid solvents will lift the under layer.  Give Bowdoc or Whip a shout for more professional advise...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
Denatured alcohol tends to work on stuff like that. I've used it on overspray, took it off and didnt' hurt the finish. Might give it a try! Jason

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
If it"s just cheap ole rattle can paint, try these.

Fine steel wool & little elbow grease. Easy-off oven cleaner, or no name brand type. Use to use that for removing logo, lettering, from vehichle.

And one that has worked, and sounds crazy, use the same paint you sprayed with. Spay the area over, and while wet, wipe with old rag, to remove both.
The solvent in the paint, will help loosen the other!

Since the clear coat finish they used at Win, wasn't scuffed, it should come off easily. Harsher solevents could be used, just don't leave 'em on long.

Offline JOEBO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
Use Lacquer thinner on a rag. I have done many times and It will not harm the limb finish. Do outdoors and throw a coat of wax on them when your done the'll look like new.
Joe

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
I don't say this with any great pride...so keep this in mind...I was so excited when I made my first set of arrows that I went in the garage to spray the crown, because I didn't want green overspray in the house.  I sprayed all 12 of them, and then quickly noticed this beautiful green hue coming from my 2009 white GMC truck.  You see I was so excited that I forgot to pull my truck out.  

I spent the next couple hours going over the whole truck with clean cotton towels, and denatured alcohol. It took some serious elbow grease, but it all came off, and the finish wasn't hurt.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©