3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string length  (Read 341 times)

Offline jl223

• Trad Bowhunter
string length
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Need a little help with string length, waiting on a BW TFX 58" 49@28 what would be the correct string length and strands for a fast flight string .... Thanks ... John

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string length
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
I'll take a stab and say a 55 inch string so you have plenty of room for brace adjustment. You could go 10-12 strands of D-97 if you like a skinny string.

Get a hold of Oliverstacey on here, he would be very helpful.    ;)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Recurves are commonly 4" less than AMO length.  Longbows 3" less.  There are manufacturers who vary from this "norm".
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
Recurves are commonly 4" less than AMO length.  Longbows 3" less.  There are manufacturers who vary from this "norm".
I agree. My two custom 66" recurves take a 62" bowstring.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Pretty sure that BW strings are 3.5" less, so you would need a 54.5" string.

Strand count is very subjective, and you will see a broad range, so I don't think there's an answer to the proper amount of strands.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
3" less is a good start, but you might wanna make up a tillering string (just one loop for the top limb) and secure to the bottom limb with a bowyer's knot.  adjust the knot to get the brace height ya like, then remove the string and use it to make a double loop.

can't or dunno how to make bowstrings?  get a really loooong string and use it for a tillering string, or buy a spool of b50 or b500 and make up a continuous loop tillering string using bowyer knots at either end.

with modern string fiber, the strand count can be whatever you like, starting at 2 or 4.  practically speaking 8 or 10 strands is waaaay more than enuf for yer bow.  all my bows sport 8 strands of dyneema, up to and over 55# holding weight.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
The easiest (and most accurate) answer would come from BW--just a phone call or e-mail away.

AMO/ATA says the string should be 3" shorter, period (longbow, recurve, whatever), measured under 100# of tension.  Depending on who makes the string, whether it's pre-stretched or not, what material, what strand count, and if it's measured under tension or not could make an inch or more difference in the labeled length.

Strand count depends on your preferance and the material.  "Fast Flight", although a brand name, has become more of a generic term for any HMPE string material.

Mr. Ken Beck himself put out a challenge last year, offering a free bow in exchange for proof that a "skinny" (low strand count) string gave any performance benefits on a BW bow--pretty sure he didn't have anyone belly up to the challenge (if you lost, you lost your bow or had to buy a new BW at regular price).  His personal tests showed no benefits to them, at least on BW bows.

I think their standard string is 12 strands of Dynaflight '97, but again a phone call or e-mail will get you the info. straight from the folks that make the bows.  My personal preferance would be 10-12 strands of 8125 or Dynaflight '97, loops padded to 18.

Chad

Offline jl223

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys .... John

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
As Chad stated above you can call BW and they will let you know the length…I have done this before and they always seem very nice when I call.

Most of the recurve strings I make are between 3-4” shorter than the AMO bow length…BW bows are usually very consistent in what they take.  I’d give them a call with the serial # and they should be able to help you.

Thanks,

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©