3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads for Turkey  (Read 1318 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads for Turkey
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Good point Bluegrass.
As it seems that in archery nothing is a given.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by bluegrassbowhunter:

Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:

Dead bird or clean miss, I'll take those odds.
That's a myth...what happens when ya get barely close enough to chop the beck off...you have a bird that's fully capable of getting away & lost it's ability to feed..it will eventaully die if you can't get another arrow in it...there's several more scenerio's I could give ya...

I'm not argueing with anyone on this or trying to hijack this thread,it's just the way it is..the miss or dead bird is a huge miss conseption with these heads...

I've used them & will continue to as the need arises but know their not fullproof... [/b]
Absolutely Mark, I couldn't agree more, nothing is fool proof...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
A local guy I know shoots turkey hunting footage for commercial video from FL to SD each year and has collected a lot of footage which clearly shows that impacted head shots are anything but a slam dunk on a turkey.  You should see what happens to a big bird whenever one of the blades fails to do what it was intended to do, is off the mark, or structurally fails. It isn't pretty.  Like Guru said "nothing is fool proof".
Gary Logsdon

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Passthru2,
  I've taken a doz. birds, all with Snuffers. I like that the width helps connect with a small vital zone. A Vt. buddy killed a bird last spring with a Simmons head, another wide blade. I too, can't wait for spring! Regards, Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Big Snuffer is my BH of choice for turkeys.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
big snuffer or magnus 1 for me
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
killed one this year with a abowyer brown bear head bird went 5 yards its where you hit them that counts the most

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
I have taken 10 turkeys with trad gear, I have used WW woodmens, the oringals, 150 total with screw in adapters, and Ace std, 125 with 25 alum screw in adapters. If at all possible, I agree with blacktail bowhunter, the back shot, between the shoulders especially is deadly. The ones I shot head on and broadside(high) ended up in a foot race of 150-200 yds,hard on a old beat up fat feller.
samuel koger

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
the large dead heads work pretty good.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Guru,
Of course you are correct, nothing is full proof, not even a 10 gauge.

I guess what I mean when I describe my preference for head shots is that there is a lot more bird to miss than wound when going for the head as opposed to going for the body.

Some folks don't even know where to try to hit the bird when aiming at the body.  The kill zone on most 3-D turkey targets is the butt of the wing, from the broadside view. I think going for this spot has lead to more wounded birds than any other cause (except for poor shooting). After a peer showed me the vitals of a real turkey I realized the best broadside shot was just above the thigh. If I chose not to go for the head my preferences would be:

1. Back when bird is facing away.
2. Frontal where the beard is attached.
3. Above the thigh.

Of course once that bullhead is nocked on the string there is no choice but to hold the shot or go for the head. I imagine that bullhead will bounce off that turkey's bod like a Morrell bag target.

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I use my deer set up, 50 some birds. I just ad a muzzy grasshopper. That way I am shooting what I am used to. Keeps me from screwing up at crunch time.
I like the above the thigh shot also. Love it when I hit the thigh on the way in. Can't run can't fly.
I never have shot one in the back side. Not sure why. Sounds like good results.

Doug
The hunt is the trophy!

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
I've shot several with snuffers but prefer Bullheads because you can SEE the kill area. To many people just shoot at the body with a regular broadhead, some get lucky some don't. Lost one with snuffers, lost 0 with bullheads.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
For body shots I use the 1 1/4" terminators or any wide head.I have shot turkeys in the head with regular broadheads and the bull heads.The bullheads have worked fine,but like most any broadhead needed to be sharpened.Just shoot for the neck and not the head (lesson learned).On one of the birds I shot in the head with the bull head,the conical point actualy hit the bird center of the head.It stoped penetration and floored the bird.The cuts to the head and neck were massive and the bird bled out in short order.I did shoot that bird again when it stoped in the field.It was bout 40 yards from me on the back up shot.Looking back the bird would likely have not left the field if I hadent shot the second time.It was already starting to wobble.The video is posted on my you tube channel.Just go to my website and click hunting video's then click on one tough turkey.
Bill

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Any of you guys ever attempted the sometimes recommended breast-on angle, picked a spot, and then shot the beard clean off!?! I learned my lesson and now carry a special zip-loc bag for special occasions:^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
turkey's is a great way to demo broadheads you want to try on deer or other game.  

but I say BIG like a snuffer/treeshark,even a bullhead
"Us vs Them"

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Gary when does VPA plan to unvale the SPUR head?  I like the heads they have now and that is what I use for turkey, deer, and hogs.  I believe shot placement is key has with any game your going to take.  Always study anatomy charts if possible.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Gary for body shots,I prefer the strait on or breast shot.Luckily though I have not cut any beards off yet.I can just see you out in the woods.Down on all fours collecting the individual pieces of beard and puttig them in a zip-loc.  :D  Sorry for the smile,I just could not help myself.
Bill

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
I will be using 'Vitals Line Cutter' broadheads this season.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
In Iowa blungeons, as long as they are 9/16" wide are legal.  I have been told by DNR "experts" that it is to reduce the lost birds that are shot with broadheads.  That would take more power than any bow I have ever used for turkeys, I believe.  I got some four blade Herters that should work.  If I could find some Copperhead Talons I would use them for turkeys, they were great for geese.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
That's exactly what I had to do Bill.  Here's a tip if you ever shoot off the beard.  AFTER collecting the lost parts lay them back into position on a piece of wax paper, then cover the end (where it's originally anchored to the breast) with Shoe Goo.  It's cured plasticity allows it to removed from the paper and looks like the shot never happened:^) Your taxidermist will appreciate it.
Gary Logsdon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©