3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Practice for the city dwelling archer  (Read 1062 times)

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
Practice for the city dwelling archer
« on: June 04, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
I live in a small city (40,000 or so) I do not have a large enough yard to shoot in. I have been roaming the local woods stump shooting but have just been informed by the director of public works that I can't do that, all kinds of safety issues for him. Said it's illegal to discharge a firearm in city limits. I guess I don't put a bow and arrow in the same class as firearms and I think safety comes from responsible use not prohibition. Makes me want to move where there ain't so many people. Any other city folk have access problems to local wooded areas? Any solutions?
"Only a fool lean upon his own misunderstanding" -B.Marley

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice for the city dwelling archer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
Can you shoot inside? Like down a hallway or something? Find the longest stretch you have in your house or apartment and get creative. Short range practice is better than no shooting at all. It isn't too hard or too expensive to make a good indoor backstop.

I made one with a couple couch cushions that I had already shot the centers out of. I put these back to back in a large cardboard box. Fill all remaining space with plastic shopping bags. Pack it tight and close the flaps. Cover the whole thing with a few layers of duct tape. Once you wear a spot out, pack with more bags and tape a new cardboard face to the front. Mine is a few years old now and still going strong. The only money I have in it is a few rolls of duct tape. You could also use it outside but it isn't water proof. You have to make it deep enough so your arrows don't penetrate the back. As long as you do that, it will never wear out as long as you have shopping bags and a piece of cardboard for the front. Pizza boxes work pretty well for that.

That's my indoor shooting rig. I only have 13yrds, but 13yrds inside is better than no yrds outside.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Just one more reason I never have or will live in a city/town.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
I'll count my blessings.
I can still shoot in my back yard.
"Said it's illegal to discharge a firearm in city limits." I'd say you need to educate that person.  :banghead:

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Most city's go by the "weapon" law.

It is illegal to discharge a weapon in the city limits. A bow is a weapon. (don't ask how I know)
Ask the local sheriff where it would be okay to shoot- chances are he will know of an old pit or some property to shoot at.
SL

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
How do you know SL!
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
The way I shoot a metal lined hallway would be plenty.I hate it for you,I'm lucy I have 65 acers to roam.

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
I meant lucky.

Offline Dingus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Bryan: I just did a google search and found that Vermont has over 800,000 acres of public hunting land.  You might check to see if a piece of that public land is close to you.  It isn't like shooting in the back yard but combining stump shooting and scouting on public land can pay off.

Also, in my town the Director of Public Works doesn't call the shots with regard to "discharging firearms".  My cop buddies do.  Bottom line, I can't (as a private citizen) discharge a gun inside my city limits, but I can legally bow hunt.

Offline Dingus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
BTW, here's a couple of sites I found...

http://www.central-vt.com/visit/hunt.htm

Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife at 103 So. Main Street, Waterbury, VT 05671-0501.
1-802-241-3700 or find them on the web at  www.anr.state.vt.us/fw/fwhome

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
I feel your pain I am in the same boat.  I shoot in my basement but the longest shot I have down there is 13 yards.   Other than that I can go out to state land but that is a 20 mile drive one way and I hate spending the money on gas right now so I only go out there about once a week.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
Dingus, Yes yes, Vermont has a lot of public land to romp in, and I do. The only reason a even step foot (with a bow) in the stuff nearby is purely due to time constraints. Just looking for the quick daily fix! When I say I have no yard, I guess I could get plenty of 15yard practice in but would always rather walk in the woods. Cheers, BL

Offline vermontrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Tim, I bet that shrew (it is a shrew ain't it?) works great in the basement! The ceilings too low in mine for my loong bow. Same deal with me on the drive, the cost of said drive and the frequency. Even the shooting ranges are that far. I feel the need to move to the country!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
If you need to shoot inside, shoot on your knees, sitting on a chair you would use in a blind, practice severe cants. There is a way if you have the will. When you can afford the gas, we have lots of places to play.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
Yes the Shrews are nice for shooting in the basement but like Vermonster said, when I shoot my long bows I shoot off my knees or sit on my hunting chair for some real hunting situation practice.  I will take what I can get I guess.  At least I keep in shape that way and can work on form issues.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
I'm lucky....
I walk out my back door and I can shoot up to 50 yds in my yard....
    If I need to shoot further I go acros the street and I can shoot as far as the bow can shoot....

SL....have you been to the Camp Bullis 3D shoots they have every Month....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Paulsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
Ha-ha, here in Oslo we cant carry a knife....but I can shoot my arrows in my backyard. (I think)

I'm not asking....it's so nice with the silent bowshooting.

No more guns for me.

Thanks

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
You too?I already complained about my retired neighbor on another thread who hoses his grass during rain storms and then cuts it every day.I have enough room to shoot in my yard but I dont like to make "grassboy" uncomfortable.So, Ive been shooting in my 20 yard basement when I cant get to the club or techno range.Its not as fun but it gets me shooting.And yes I have invited him to shoot but he says his hip hurts too much.  :mad:    :banghead:    :mad:

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
One of the local sport shops has an indoor range here. Otherwise I drive out to some little used public land and stump shoot.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
I have a friend that opens his garage door and the back door coming out of the garage. Then he stands in his driveway and shoots at a target in his backyard! Definitely want to tell the wife and kids you are practicing! Not a perfect situation by a long way!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©