3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: history of grizzstiks?  (Read 363 times)

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
history of grizzstiks?
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
Loved the early grizzlystik alaskans (had no logo on them, were beautiful brown/copper, shiny).  Bought some new ones with the logo, shiny, and found them erratic, inconsistant.  Bought some used ones off a guy that were BLACKER in color and not at all shiny.   Contacted Alaskan Bowhunting Supply and it seems Ed doesn't work there anymore.?  Anybody know what's up with the history of these shafts?  I'd love to get some more of the old shiny brown ones without the logo.  thanks.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: history of grizzstiks?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Old shafts made in America.  New shafts made in China.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bendbig

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
What Ragnarok Forge said. Thats why I'm going back to woodies.
Glenn
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, Gen 27:3

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
i have some of the first ones orange label i dont know how many years ive had them still have 10 of the doz left only hunt with them i think i have killed 8 or 10 animals with the same shaft..i really dislike the new ones..if you hold my old ones in the sun they look like the old root beer barrel candy with the sripes in it..if you know what i mean..100 dollars for 6 from china..you can keep em..hope my 10 last a long time..

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
The ones y'all keep referring too as the ones you like........were made in Korea!    :)  .........not America...
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
They were/are made by a fishing rod company-don't remember which one. This is not meant to be jugemental-just historical. Shoot whatcha' want.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Alot people think the shafts where made by St.Croix fishing rods, but this is not true.  

Garrett, Ed's son has been taking care of the business which is out of Seattle now.

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
I know Ed consulted St. Croix (fishing rod manufact.) when he designed/produced the early ones. I thought they were U.S. made.  I know the new ones are made in China-  says so right on the package.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
According to this article St Croix built the first shafts.
 http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/PR/73.JJ.2005_ALL.pdf

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
Hey Don, Glad you like the Alaskans. The ones I sold you were made in the U.S. P.M. sent. Tom Bateman
Tom

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
St Croix indeed made the first shafts. When Ed called me with the idea in the mid 90's, I thought he was crazy. I was crazy enough to lend St.Croix my Nickleson Spine tester those first start up years. Over the years the production of these shafts  have moved several times and several countries.  Ed has stepped back to fish and hunt while his son Garrett is leading the charge to produce a hunting arrow their customers can trust. it's a safe bet that Possibly all arrow companies have some or all their components produced out of USA.      For us GrizzStics fan, 2011 ABS will unveil another great hunting shaft series...can't wait
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
I see on Carbon Tech's (CT) site that they are saying that they are "working with Alaska Bowhunting Supply".

If that is the case, the shafts will be worth EVERY penny. I have an early set of a dozen Safari's that some out at 900 grains complete and they are a great shaft. Made in the U.S.A. to boot...
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
Why not try another brand of carbons? I just started shooting carbons this past year, I had Paul from Badger arrows who posted just above me on this spring build me a couple dozen Carbon Express 250's this past year and they are great shooters. I'll never go back to aluminums, if you go to the Carbon Express website you will find they have very high quality control. Give Paul a call, he is great to talk to and I'm sure he could give you good insight into the different carbon arrows on the market.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Guys what static spine are my Banshee 600s? I just got a dozen from a seller and am impressed by these.....from 2008 correct?

Did the parallel Banshees become the Sitka?
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©