3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: first traditional bow, what to buy  (Read 478 times)

Offline jjsimon

• Trad Bowhunter
first traditional bow, what to buy
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
Hi folks,Im new to the forum and trad archery.i started playing with an old browning recurve my dad gave me and now i dont even want to touch my compound it is so much fun ... but any way its too light and short 44" so i have decided i'm diving in and going tratitional from now on.I need a bow for hunting deer. i will be either in a treeestand or ground blind so i would like it to be 60'or under.what is easier to start with, a long bow or recurve? when i say easy i mean tune,shoot and become proficient with.What about takedowns? is it worth having two sets of limbs? like ones for big game and ones for stumps,fishing, and small game? any and all advice from you guys would be greatly appriciated.

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: first traditional bow, what to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
I'll throw in a few suggestions, first of all welcome.
Regarding your questions I will give you my opinions.

Recurves, in general, are easier for most to learn with.

Takedowns are nice for traveling and having different limbs for different situations, but I just like the flow of one piece bows. Just my opinion.

The best advice I can give you is for sure do not get a bow with too heavy a draw weight.  45# would be a good place to start and second I would highly recommend buying used for your first few bows.  It will give you the opportunity to try different ones and you won't be out a great deal of money.

Hope I helped a little bit.  This is the place to ask.

Good shootin', Eric.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Take a look at this thread
 http://www.tradgang.com/docs/newbies.html
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Welcome, my advice would be to keep hanging around here as much can be learned from past threads, especially check out the search feature.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Try to shoot a few different ones to see what 'feels' best in your hands. When you buy your first its only an excuse to get another, and another....

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
My advice is continue to have fun with it and stay at it. As for bows I also say buy a used one. Another thing to consider when you order your first custom one is how much patience do you have the wait time varies from a few weeks to a couple of years and everything in between depending on the maker. Shoot as many different ones as you can get your hands on to find out what you like. And again have fun.   :thumbsup:

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Welcome to Tradgang

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Try before you buy if you can. One good way to shoot many different bows is to go to one of the shoots or exhibitions, especially exhibitions like Kalamazoo or Comptons. These days the bows on the classifieds are selling for less because of the economy and you can definitely pick up a great bow at a good price compared to new. New bows are definitely good to buy when you know what you want and can get it just the way you want it.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
Use the KISS method here,for sure.Shot my firt couple deer with a Shakespeare I paid $50 for.Most of all,have fun and remember,this is a lifelong addiction for most true hunters...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 02:27:00 AM »
You can find new take down recurves very inexpensive.

Go to the big auction site for a Greatree Goshawk 130 to your door.

Go to 3Rivers for the Samick Sage about $130.00 to your door.

Check out Maddogarchery.com for his Mutt longbow, which is a R/D style. $260.00 to your door.

I started with recurves but now shoot primarily hybrid longbows in the R/D style. Horne Take Down Brushbows to be exact and just ordered a Mutt from Maddog.

Shoot as many bows as you can and keep the poundage down for awhile and even after you shoot for a good bit, keep a lighter bow around for form work.

There are a ton of newbie threads on here for you to mull over.

Good luck,

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Don't fall into the idea of a bow needing to be  60" or under for hunting. I used to shoot Olympic style competitions and a longer bow is easier to learn form on. More forgiving to beginners mistakes.
Nothing wrong with a 60" bow, don't get me wrong! But don't limit yourself. I hunt with a 68 inch recurve from some of the thickest, nastiest trees you'll see.
 Just a thought to consider....if you find a good 62 or 64" bow, don't count it out!!!!!!!It may be the finest bow you'll shoot!
David M. Conroy

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
Go on a quest to shoot as many as you can from friends, clubs, shoots, etc. The adventure is in itself its own reward. You may be surprised what you like. I don't like 3 piece take down recurves but found one that shoots like a dream!
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Hi John!
Glad to see you here..as Eric said: "this is the place to ask".  

The newbie thread is the best place to start...then take it slowly.  As already mentioned, try as many bows as you can and keep asking questions.  Here, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

I don't know haw far you are from the Trad Expo in Kalamazoo Michigan but, if you can take a couple days, it would be an great opportunity to get hands-on experience and first rate advice from the worlds best bowyers and hunters.

See you around!

Offline E.AllenIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
These guys are right on.  I too am new to traditional hunting and made many early misakes.  From my many mistakes I reccomend that you shoot as many bows as possible and start with light #.  

This has quickly become my favorite website because the members are very helpful and always willing to assist.

Offline ch1ch2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Buy used!
I have 3 one piece recurves I bought under $100.  My favorite bow is one of those three and I paid $45.00 for it.  It is a no name, old well used and a GREAT shooter.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
If you find a place that has some bows, it is nice to try a few. Otherwise I would buy something like a Martin Hunter that shoots well for most archers. I don't know your personal strength but I feel 45-50lbs is a good starting weight.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline jjsimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful info,you guys are great! I really like this site, without it I would have to rely on trial and error and most of us know how well that works.Please keep the advice coming Im already trying to find trad shops near north east pa to try bows at.

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
I'll give you some of the advice I was given.  Take every oppurtunity to shoot any type of traditional bow you can.  At local shops, shoots, friends, relatives, just get a feel for a few different styles of bows before you invest.
1Peter 5:6,7

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©